• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LED Bar - HardHat concept

Norm

Retired Administrator
CM,
There is plenty of "head" room. I would guess a better solution would integrate a layer or region of Styrofoam integrated with any batteries or circuitry to cushion the crash zone of the area.
I'm fairly sure that all that space is there for a reason and if it was to be used for batteries etc. the Hat would no longer comply to regulations or do it's intended job properly.
Norm
PS Love the LED bar idea.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Don, Cool work with your concept :twothumbs:
I see your McHardSols have taken of in France
_44830287_bastille_ap466.jpg

:crackup:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
LukeA,

As with aluminum ladders VS fiberglass ladders, some applications preclude the use of aluminum. I wasn't sure they even made Al hard hats anymore until I did a google and found the one I purchased.

Norm,

I am sure you are right. The hats no doubt qualify with a "crash zone" that needs to be free from any impediments. These hard hats rely on a basket of webbing and plastic to isolate and define this "crash zone". Motorcycle helmets and a caving helmet sample I have, use Styrofoam. Clearly there are any number of considerations and mandates in need of consideration and understanding.

As I said above, it is quite likely that some type of add on that could be surface mount would probably be easier to have accepted. The fireman's turnouts for instance can't be altered for likely obvious reasons and gear needs to be mountable without significant impact on the design. For that matter, I would think a fireman's hat could be a good host for not only a good flood but also a tight smoke piercing beam although the backscatter would be a concern.

There are adhesive backed aluminum tapes which might even be employed for some thermal relief. These might well be spread out on the surface of a plastic or composite hat. No idea on how well the heat would radiate across and then out of something so thin.

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: LED Bar - Hardhat concept

The metal hard hat has one major flaw: it conducts electricity.

hair can conduct electricity, it can burn too. It can do both at the same time, which can be very very exciting....but usually not for the right reasons:candle:

Knowing what the big G does he probably already had that covered by anodizing the bottom half there :whistle:

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have a DeWalt 18 volt five tool combo. One of the tools is an incan light with a flexible goose neck. Can you modify this to accept your light-bar concept? I'll send you the light and a battery if you tell me how much it might be to mod with your Nichias. If you like the outcome, you should contact DeWalt about the concept.

Thanks,
Bill S.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED Bar - Hardhat concept

hair can conduct electricity, it can burn too. It can do both at the same time, which can be very very exciting....but usually not for the right reasons:candle:

Knowing what the big G does he probably already had that covered by anodizing the bottom half there :whistle:

The comparison is not to a bare head, but to a polyethylene hard hat (such as the MSA V-Gard which insulates to above 20000V).

da.gee

Enlightened
I saw a similar concept in a surplus store a couple days ago. They called it a "cap" light (for baseball type cap I assume). It was a row of LEDs but the form factor was squarish I assume to hold AAAs as the power source. I didn't examine closely as I was pressed for time.

I think it would be hard to beat the VB-3 type devices which do a pretty decent job in this capacity. Obviously output and run time would be defining factors between the two types.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have a DeWalt 18 volt five tool combo. One of the tools is an incan light with a flexible goose neck. Can you modify this to accept your light-bar concept? I'll send you the light and a battery if you tell me how much it might be to mod with your Nichias. If you like the outcome, you should contact DeWalt about the concept.

Thanks,
Bill S.

Hi Bill,

I believe I have a sample of the DeWalt 18 Light you mention. Sorry but I am not interested or capable, at this point, in doing such a mod. The driver is a prototype and the light bar is a prototype as well. I was asked to take a look at some of the Dewalt lights but the problem I see is in getting good thermal relief with existing components that are all plastic. Certainly some solutions could be found.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hi Bill,

I believe I have a sample of the DeWalt 18 Light you mention. Sorry but I am not interested or capable, at this point, in doing such a mod. The driver is a prototype and the light bar is a prototype as well. I was asked to take a look at some of the Dewalt lights but the problem I see is in getting good thermal relief with existing components that are all plastic. Certainly some solutions could be found.

Oh well, I thought it would be a really neat work light. Do you think some other metalic head could be mounted onto the goose-neck? The goose-neck is quite handy but the light is a bit miserable.

Great stuff you're doing. I wish I was savvy enough to understand the technical material but for now I'll have to settle for just appreciating the results.

Thanks.
Bill S.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bill S.
There are an infinite number of possibilities. If we are discussing the same light, It has a clever docking set up for the head which would be nice to keep possibly but the head is quite large and anything in metal would be large and not trivial in cost and fabrication. I think a large round heat sink with a cluster of LED's within the head would be the first course to try and then deal with thermal issues. I was invited to come up with some type of alternative on my own dime and have passed on it to date.

trout

Enlightened
Hi Mcgizmo.

I have been reading this thread with interest and want to ask your permission to steal the idea and try to put it to use in a bike light .

I have had a play with a small piece of acrylic bar with 3 Q5 leds and
here are a couple of shots on the ceiling

NEWMR16PROJECT055.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT052.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Trout,

Cool! Please consider adding your findings to this thread. I haven't had a chance to get more involved in the concept yet but I too want to pursue this. To those ends, I figured the first thing I needed was the LED array and a few months back, I designed and had a custom run of 3x 083-D MCPCB's made:

3x083D-MCPCB.jpg

One plan I want to get going on is a simple aluminum housing for the MCPCB with LED's & optic bar that would be sealed and remotely attached to driver/ power source. I figure it could be used as a module and the applications could be for fixed as well as portable and transport applications.

You can see from the pic that the MCPCB will serve as host to either the Nichia 083 or the Osram Dragon LED's as well as any combo of the two.

I will update this thread as well once I get moving with some of the ideas...

trout

Enlightened
McGizmo Thanks
I am not worthy to be stealing your idea

That bar light concept Is near perfect for the mountain biking light.
no wasted light up in the treetops

and such fun with experimenting , though my trial rigs are a bit rough and ready compared to yours .

This is my crazy thread over on MTBR
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=442861

I will be back to ask loads of questions If you dont mind

Here are the hardware pics for the beamshots .

But first I would like to say thank you to McGizmo over on CPF for allowing me to steal his concept ,
as he has not completed it I do not feel as bad and might be able to contribute the odd idea to his project.

McGizmos Idea[/url]

I will let the pictures do the talking .

McTroutlite001.jpg

McTroutlite002.jpg

McTroutlite003.jpg

McTroutlite004.jpg

McTroutlite005.jpg

McTroutlite006.jpg

McTroutlite007.jpg

Ok after a bit of fettleing in the freezing garage I have managed to get some beam shots in my small garden .

The first shots are 3 Q5 leds the power is not relevant at this moment it is the beam shape I am wanting to try and get .
Lo and Hi
then the light rotated 90 degrees

NEWMR16PROJECT056.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT057.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT062.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT063.jpg

the next 4 are a single MCE behind the McTroutlens
again the last 2 are rotated 90 degrees
Now these optics are a rushed put together job and when you see them you will be amazed I hope .

NEWMR16PROJECT058.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT059.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT060.jpg

NEWMR16PROJECT061.jpg

trout

Enlightened
Hi Mr McGizmo .

Can I ask you a couple of questions about the bar lense.

I have used 20 mm split down the middle
for the cree leds would bigger be better ie 30 mm rod

and also what would be the result of bending the bar lense
would it widen the beam or narrow it

sorry 3 questions

would there be any advantage in drilling pits for the domes to sit in

Sorry for all the questions but I am quite excited by this concept for a bike light

trout

Enlightened
Oh and an idea for the roady cyclist

if I used a larger bar would it be possible to put some more leds
above or below the centre line and switch these for a dipped beam

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Trout,
I don't mean to ignore your questions but I am not inclined to qualify them prior to answering them and besides, the fun here is in the exploration and finding these answers for yourself. I also have some ideas that may or may not pan out into something of a commercial nature but I see no reason to feed potential competition and especially those who only come to eat and never share. I am not pointing my finger at you here.

trout

Enlightened
McGizmo
Thanks for the honest answer and after I had been and had a look at your fantastic stuff I kinda expected you not to want to divulge too much .

and as I am only playing around with bike lights and not any comercial interests you are right the fun is in finding out

and yes a bigger bar does make a difference
and it would be possible to do a main and dipped bead in the same optic
I just dont have enough stuff to do it.

Cheers Chris