LED Brake Lights

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Upon closer inspection, it missing a side retroreflector. Thanks Schein for the suggesstion. I will add a retroreflector.

@AnApple, they say yes.

@Old, for security reason and avoid advertising.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
those look just like aftermarket (jdm, lol yea right) Chinese taillights that "performance' shops sell here, these f..kers blind the hell out of you if you stop behind one like that on the light or stop sigh....etc. headlights from the same source, aren't even as bad. i still have dots in my eyes for minutes after that car is long gone. during the day it is not too bad, but at night, a lot worst. none of that happens if i look at oem led taillights,
makes me wanna come out, and put my 6d mag right thru those lights.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Upon closer inspection, it missing a side retroreflector.

and a side marker light, I'm betting. The North American Corolla RCL has a cutout in the side wall of the housing so the stop/tail bulb is visible from the side, thus providing the side marker light function. I haven't pulled and looked at the Japanese-market RCL in question, but I would be surprised if it has a side marker light function.

they say yes

Er...exactly who says yes, to what specific question?

(Blanking out the car license plate for "security" reasons has never made any sense to me. The plate is readily visible to everyone who sees your car on the road or while it's parked, and most of them are total strangers.)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
those look just like aftermarket (jdm, lol yea right)

Look more carefully at the third picture, where we clearly see both "TOYOTA" and "KOITO"; this is definitely an OE lamp, not aftermarket. It also says "THAI", so that means this is the Thailand-market lamp, also used in Vietnam, India, and certain other markets. (don.gwapo, it looks like these are Toyota part numbers 81550‑02620 and 81560‑02620, is that right?) We also see ECE type approval markings, so while it is probably not certified as compliant with American regulations, it has been rigorously scrutinized and tested to the international technical standard. I can't share all the info I have access to on this lamp, but in general I can say the data suggest that aside from the lack of side marker functions, this lamp's performance is in accordance with the design, construction, and performance requirements in force in North America.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
There's an angled slats facing the side inside the reflector which the stock doesn't have. Light is visible on the side when its on.

The dealer says yes to the question if I can use it on US roads!

As for blanking out the license plate, I just took some precaution.

EDIT:

Schein, I'm not sure about the part number coz I don't have the receipt anymore to look at to.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There's an angled slats facing the side inside the reflector which the stock doesn't have. Light is visible on the side when its on.

That's not a substitute or adequate replacement for the side marker light function. You really need to add separate side marker lights.

The dealer says yes to the question if I can use it on US roads!

The dealer wants to sell you the lamps and is ignorant of the technical and legal matters involved.

Schein, I'm not sure about the part number coz I don't have the receipt anymore to look at to.

You bought these at a North American dealership? Which one, and what did they cost, do you recall?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
those look just like aftermarket (jdm, lol yea right) Chinese taillights that "performance' shops sell here

Except, as SWM has already beat me to posting, these are the Real Thing, being Koito lamps manufactured for Toyota. You might be thinking of Kopex or Depo, not Koito.

makes me wanna come out, and put my 6d mag right thru those lights.
Vandalism isn't the answer.

don.gwapo said:
@Old, for security reason and avoid advertising.

I suppose it might make sense in some ways if you don't want people associating a 'handle' with a real name. But blotting out the badging really serves nothing. It's OK to admit you drive a Corolla-- I drive one, too.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
@Schein, I got it in Thailand when on vacation. I bought it for $200.00 in dollar equivalent for the pair.

Yes, I will add a side marker and retro reflector in compliance with the US standard.

Thanks for your help and suggestion on this matter.

hydro00

Newly Enlightened
Are there no regulations for side marker lights other than you must have something back there and it must be red for the rear?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Are there no regulations for side marker lights other than you must have something back there and it must be red for the rear?

That is not the case. Rear side marker lights and reflectors, like all vehicle exterior lighting devices, are technically specified in great detail. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you ask this question, but it looks as if you might be wondering if there are regulations stipulating that any given vehicle must have the side markers built into the rear combination lamps vs. separate on the side of the car body. The answer is no. Vehicles made after January 1, 1968 must have front amber and rear red side marker lights or retroreflectors, and vehicles made after January 1, 1970 must have front amber and rear red side marker lights and retroreflectors, and they must meet the design, construction, performance, and mounting requirements, but there is no regulatory preference for separate vs. combined installation.

hydro00

Newly Enlightened
Exactly. You linked him to a set of lights that will work, but there is more to it than that.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
hydro00, it's not clear to me what you're trying to get across regarding side marker lights. I linked him to lights and reflectors that will work, and as long as they're mounted in accordance with the applicable provisions of FMVSS #108, which simply require the rear side marker lights and reflectors to be mounted as close as practicable to the rear of the vehicle, I don't really see what more there is to it than that. However, since you've been banned for awhile on account of your persistent and willful disregard for the rules of this forum (not to mention your base rudeness) I suppose we will have to wait awhile for you to try and explain.