LED Headlights on 2017 Ford Super Duty

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading about the introduction of the new 2017 3/4 ton and one ton trucks from Ford:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/09/2017-ford-super-duty-styling-and-interior.html

LED headlights will be available as optional equipment: "...you're still struck by the size of the stacked headlights, which are now available in high-output LEDs, but the imposing, intimidating look is in keeping with the Super Duty's mission…"

But no mention was made of auto leveling of the LEDs. When this truck is loaded up near its maximum payload, and the rear is squatting, isn't opposing traffic going to be blasted with glare from the LED headlights?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, same as leading and oncoming vehicles are blasted with glare from the halogen, HID, and LED headlamps on existing trucks, because there is no requirement for headlamp leveling systems on trucks or any other vehicles in North America.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
"but the imposing, intimidating look is in keeping with the Super Duty's mission…"

The mission is to look imposing and intimidating, or to BE imposing and intimidating? That's... messed up.

But no mention was made of auto leveling of the LEDs. When this truck is loaded up near its maximum payload, and the rear is squatting, isn't opposing traffic going to be blasted with glare from the LED headlights?

Not just the headlamps, but the fog lamps. The drivers of those types of trucks, especially when towing, think that they have been commanded by the Angel of the LORD to turn on (and leave on) their fog lamps.

Yes, same as leading and oncoming vehicles are blasted with glare from the halogen, HID, and LED headlamps on existing trucks, because there is no requirement for headlamp leveling systems on trucks or any other vehicles in North America.

Headlamp leveling systems should be part of the "tow package" at the very least.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's not necessarily true. Headlamp aim changes enough to significantly impact safety well within routine, safe vehicle loading conditions.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Self aligning head lights aren't a substitution for a properly adjusted suspension system.

If the lights are aiming up in the air, the vehicle is overloaded and is a danger to the driver as well as others.

The tongue weights of properly-loaded, properly-sized trailers on properly-equipped vehicles is still sufficient to bring the aim of the headlamps up enough to be obnoxious and potentially disabling to other drivers.

This is the last we will discuss "overloaded vehicles"-- the problem obviously occurs with them as well, but it occurs even with modest payloads and tongue weights well within the capacity of the vehicle's design.

SemiMan

Banned

Especially with the number of jerks who are putting hid retrofits in halogen housings in their pickup trucks. Around here, it seems every tow truck driver is doing that ... police response ... nothing. If they are behind you on the highway, it is impossible to use your rearview mirrors.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ford and GM are offering LED headlights in their 1/2 ton trucks also. Not sure about RAM.

Some owners of older pickups will be envious of the OEM LED headlights. There will be a desire to upgrade. I predict Diode Dynamics and others in the aftermarket business will make a killing selling LED "upgrades" to be installed into halogen systems.

Isn't a LED installed in a halogen housing even worse than a HID capsule installed in a halogen housing?

Hilldweller

Enlightened
The tongue weights of properly-loaded, properly-sized trailers on properly-equipped vehicles is still sufficient to bring the aim of the headlamps up enough to be obnoxious and potentially disabling to other drivers.

This is the last we will discuss "overloaded vehicles"-- the problem obviously occurs with them as well, but it occurs even with modest payloads and tongue weights well within the capacity of the vehicle's design.
Indeed.
It's the reason that my Jeep's LED headlights are aimed very low in my day to day driving. I know that I'll have a trailer on there come the weekend and I don't want my photon torpedoes to fry anybody's retinas.

The headlights on that Ford look like the headlight equivalent of truck nutz. Needs a locomotive air horn to complete it though. Maybe a Reb flag.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

Indeed.
It's the reason that my Jeep's LED headlights are aimed very low in my day to day driving. I know that I'll have a trailer on there come the weekend and I don't want my photon torpedoes to fry anybody's retinas.

You're cutting into your own ability to see that way, of course. You really should aim them to suit the driving you do the most. The tradeoff between you seeing properly when not towing and you blinding others when towing is a hard one to decide on. Now, if J.W. Speaker could start building in an auto-leveling system...

The headlights on that Ford look like the headlight equivalent of truck nutz. Needs a locomotive air horn to complete it though. Maybe a Reb flag.

Well, it DOES appear to have a gun safe.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
With an OEM LED headlight, is there anything an owner can do to "improve" it or "upgrade" it? I am hoping that the eventual widespread adoption of OEM LED headlights will finally put an end to people modifying their headlights in unsafe ways. That was one good thing about the old sealed beams, they were not amenable to DIY modifications.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
With an OEM LED headlight, is there anything an owner can do to "improve" it or "upgrade" it?
And why would you need to DO that?

Of course, someone's going to try. They should make them tamper-proof in some way so attempts to open them will just really hose them.

I am hoping that the eventual widespread adoption of OEM LED headlights will finally put an end to people modifying their headlights in unsafe ways. That was one good thing about the old sealed beams, they were not amenable to DIY modifications.
I'm sure even back then people would try SOMETHING. Maybe put in a set of these after cutting them apart. :D

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...They should make them tamper-proof in some way so attempts to open them will just really hose them...

I suppose there will be at least a few people who will resort to applying a blue, purple, or green film to the outside of their tamper proof LED headlights.

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened

I can't believe auto-leveling HID's, and LED tails/turns aren't standard on today's Super Duty. It's kind of like how vehicles still came with tape players, long after cassette tapes disappeared. It almost feels nostalgic at this point, to drive a car with incandescent bulbs. Old school. Vintage.

It seems like about half of the headlights I see in my rearview mirror these days are HID in cool-white. Those lucky batheads. Many of them must not be housed in projector housings because some seem extremely blinding.

I keep blinding oncoming traffic when my trailer is attached. People get irate, flashing me like crazy, and I can't see the road as well either because they're pointed up in the air. It's a safety issue the way they are now. Any known fixes for this?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe auto-leveling HID's... aren't standard on today's Super Duty.
Until it's a legal requirement here in the U.S. and Canada, don't hold your breath.

It seems like about half of the headlights I see in my rearview mirror these days are HID in cool-white.... Many of them must not be housed in projector housings because some seem extremely blinding.
Properly-designed reflector HID systems exist and aren't blinding. The HID systems that *are* blinding are either improperly designed (and can be of the reflector or the projector type), or are someone's handmade "retrofit" which is both improper and illegal.

I keep blinding oncoming traffic when my trailer is attached. People get irate, flashing me like crazy, and I can't see the road as well either because they're pointed up in the air. It's a safety issue the way they are now. Any known fixes for this?
Get the lamps reaimed whenever you tow, or don't tow at night :)