LED Lenser (Coast) P7 REVIEW With Beamshots/Lux/Overall Output Readings

kzb

Newly Enlightened
I think that'd be illegal here crossliner67 (most things are).

Back to my issue with the Duracell AAA's: the pack is labelled Duracell Accu. I thought all Accu cells are of the stay-charged variety. However it does not say this on the pack or on the cells themselves. So I guess I've been caught out.

Thought it was too good to be true for £7.99

This is indeed the source of my problem. The LL P7 works fine with Hybrio stay-charged NiMH cells. The difficulty with the Duracell Accu NiMH cells is basically that they were not charged up.

harro

Enlightened
Hello, for what they're worth, here are my observations re. LLP7.
I own a P7 and P14.
I have, at one time or another, ran both torches on primary's, NiMh and Lithiums ( NOT Li-Ion's ).
The only effect i have noticed on Lithiums was that the P14 had an ever so slight bluish tint, wheras on primary's and NiMh cool white.
P14 out throws P7 comfortably.
Both have some artifacts on flood and spot.
Runtime on NiMh about 1 hr, then rapid dimming. Primary similar but a much longer and more gradual dimming. Lithium about 3 hr then rapid dimming ( all for P7 ).
P14 has similar characteristics but over a longer time.
Build quality very good for both, but generally lighter duty compared to the likes of Fenix, Tiablo, Olight etc. etc.
My P7 comfortably out throws my A9 Tiablo ( someone mentioned that earlier in the thread ), but not to say the P7 is a better torch
Both torches on all battery configurations are easy to pick different output levels. ie; 130%-15%-100%
Finish on both marks easier than anything else.
I like both torches because they suit my purposes
Cheers Harro. ;)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I own a P7, you say that it has three levels? I must not be accessing all of them. I see high then low, but a third level?

Bill

Egsise

Banned
I own a P7 and P14.
I have, at one time or another, ran both torches on primary's, NiMh and Lithiums ( NOT Li-Ion's ).
The only effect i have noticed on Lithiums was that the P14 had an ever so slight bluish tint, wheras on primary's and NiMh cool white.
P14 out throws P7 comfortably......

My P7 comfortably out throws my A9 Tiablo ( someone mentioned that earlier in the thread ), but not to say the P7 is a better torch

Lithiums, seriously??
I guess that the led will burn out pretty quickly...

Your P7 throws better than Tiablo A9?
My Fenix TK20 throws almost the same as Led Lenser P7.
Conclusion: Fenix TK20 throw is the same as with Tiablo A9.
Really?

I own a P7, you say that it has three levels? I must not be accessing all of them. I see high then low, but a third level
The UI is: 130%(momentary only)-100%-15%-off

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thank you. I never noticed the difference between burst and high before, but now I do see it.

Bill

berrybank

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a flashlight with a good throw. I have been recommend the led lenser mt7 or the eagle t20c markII. Can you recommended which one or another one?

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I am looking for a flashlight with a good throw. I have been recommend the led lenser mt7 or the eagle t20c markII. Can you recommended which one or another one?

Different emitter options for the T20C2. For throw the XR-E R2 is the one to go for. Tried the XP-G in this light and it was not a good thrower.

Have not compared them with a LL P7 though.

HKJ

Flashaholic

For good throw it is difficult to beat the focus of Led Lenser (I do not know how well the MT7 focus), but you get a beam full of artifacts.

packer

Newly Enlightened
After using my P7 for over a month now, I'm less enthralled with it. I also own a Fenix LD20, which I love (except for its crappy holster). Here are my thoughts on it:

Pros
-Nice, long throw. It certainly appears brighter than my LD20 (Q4), at least with fresh batteries.
-The focusable beam is unique, and of course is kind of like two lights in one.
-Nice holster (especially compared to the POS that came with my LD20)

Cons
-non-regulated - I know this has been stated numerous times. But even for a newbie like me, after using it a while and noticing how it just gradually gets dimmer, till one day it's just not bright any more, I don't like it. My LD20 stays constantly bright until the batteries need to be changed. It was said that the average consumer doesn't know the difference between regulated and non, but after using both I know why regulated lights are so much better.
-relatively large - Not huge, but too big for me for EDC.
-no anti-roll feature - really annoying if you don't set it on its head
-can't tail stand
-water proofing is pretty minimal (result of its unique focusing head)
-poor heat sinking (although I've yet to see negative consequences of that)
-supposedly can't use NiMH's, although I do (also yet to see negative consequences)
-This is minor, but I don't like having to cycle through "low" to turn it off. The UI is pretty basic.

In general, the only thing the P7 has going for it is its focusing head, which does give you a nice long throw, and also a nice big flood. And those are big things. It has a lot going against it though. For the money, I think there are better options out there.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/images/icons/icon10.gif

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just went back in time and purchased one of these while I was there.

Not expecting the modern (015) tech and performance, I just wanted to add one to my ever growing Coast HP collection. It seems this light eventually lead to their 360 lumen model.

I kinda dig on the round, fairly plain retro look to the light and look forward to trying it out with some eneloops.

Edit:
Surprisingly it turns out mine is a fake. I wouldn't have thought that particular light would be one to be plagerized several years later. I await the one I found by a reputable dealer (vs the sketchy Amazon one) to compare the two, 'cause the fake one is a pretty good replica. Weighty, solid build etc...like my old LL's were.

Last edited: