LED off-road lighting

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hey TEEJ, I hope it doesn't seem like I am trying to argue, but I bet you'd change your mind if you had a chance to try some of the newer LED lights when your wheeling. I know the old ones didn't throw too far but some of the newer ones give HID and halogens some good competition in the distance game. The Baja Designs Squadron XL is a pretty new product that is an example of this. With the optics options, you can create a comfortable balance of flood and throw too.

LOL

Sure.

It would not be an argument, as I did say it's what I saw, so, if I saw something different, then THAT'S what I saw, and, so forth.

Of course, some one would have to send them to me to review, or, get them, and show me how well they worked on their rig, etc.

So far, If I take a lux meter and walk away, they are too bright too close, and too dim too far away, etc.

If there are new versions, I'm in, but, I'd need to see it.

:D

For example, the "Balance of Flood and Throw" immediately sounds like flood up close while you need to see far...unless you can flip a switch, etc, and have ONLY the throw ones lit up and the flood ones off, when you need to see far?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Beyond LEDs, the makers are now beginning to experiment with LARP (laser-activated remote-phosphor) headlamps. BMW recently demonstrated a LARP high beam booster which doubles the 1-lux reach from 300 to 600 meters, compared to the "basic" LED high beams, and without adding any light anywhere at all close to the car. That technology will likely eventually sift down to the aftermarket. Not any time soon, though.