LED vs. Incandescent tail lights

Neuralgia

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I just bought a scooter, and started a thread about some changes I want to make on my light system.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92412

1st because I've read so much about car drivers NOT realizing you're coming and they turn left and WHAM. If you're concerned about safety, you can imagine how bike drivers are about it.

The other reason is because of the LED's "coming up" much faster, and breaking is something very important.

My scoot comes with H4 18w/18w (low/high) HeadLights, and I'm pretty sure those aren't good enough for my needs (planning to get H4 halogen 35w/35w)

Just like Intoxicated, but for a different reason I'm tryng LED's on my tail lights (both to prevent an accident, but in my case to save my life ;) )

The thing is, that for the turnlights you'll need a equalizer as DUQ said. (great link BTW). I saw this one: http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Universal Turn Signal

I've even heard you can use a "flasher" instead, but since I'm new in all this LED and candle world, I'm not sure which one should i get.
http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Any suggestions?

I found this site www.superbrightleds.com. They have the lowest prices I've found online http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

the only thing you have to look very carefully is for the base, those are BA15 (15mm base) and they look just like BA20D base (200mm).

and form the same page DUQ posted http://autolumination.com/dcell1.html

:takeit:

Last edited:

spock

Enlightened
just a small comment. few years back, some college did a study on perceived night distance using red, green, and blue lights. people had to judge how far they were from these simulated tail lights. red was judged to be further away than it actually was. green was judged to be the most accurate distance. blue was judged to be closer than it actually was. their conclusion: the safest tail light color was green, especially for rear end collisions. this did not take into consideration factors such as road conditions, tires, etc.. this summer i am going to see if i can duplicate these results on a small scale.

*Retired*
spock said:
just a small comment. few years back, some college did a study on perceived night distance using red, green, and blue lights. people had to judge how far they were from these simulated tail lights. red was judged to be further away than it actually was. green was judged to be the most accurate distance. blue was judged to be closer than it actually was. their conclusion: the safest tail light color was green, especially for rear end collisions. this did not take into consideration factors such as road conditions, tires, etc.. this summer i am going to see if i can duplicate these results on a small scale.

Unfortunately, Green means put the pedal to the medal!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When I was experimenting with LED replacement 1157s, I found that the reflector in all the lights I tried was ineffectual with the narrow angle LEDs. And just the bulb itself radiating forward didn't have the needed power/brightness.

The LEDs that are on the vast majority of the 18 wheelers are round or oval rubber mounted modules that are indeed BRIGHT and NOTICEABLE!!!

I've given more than a bit of thought to adding a pair of those either in holes cut in my liftgate or with add on brackets...

I know I don't have the skill/knowledge to LED mod my tail lights!!!

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Newbie. :) This gives me even more incentive to finish my conversion.

The red lux III's will give out 190 lumens at 1.5amps. This will probably be similar brightness to a 20w incan after it's been thru a red filter.

I'm currently replacing all my rear light on my car with LED's. It should be good when finished, and my car is 15 years old so the electrical system is nice and simple. :) Also, a 3.3v DC-DC PSU can be made for around $15 so this shouldn't cost the earth to do either.

Last edited:

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, perfect timing. I need a LED brake light, well CHMSL to be exact. I picked up a cap for my truck but it doesn't have the light and blocks the one from the cab. I don't want some young girl in a little Toyota to mess up her car rear ending me again like the one did a few years back because she "didn't see any brake lights" because my old truck didn't have one there. Anyone know of one for a good price, I stopped by Napa and found one there for $60. Since there isn't a light there I can't just use one of the bulb replacements listed above.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Idea, I found one at Waytek Wire for around $20, think I will order it. The cap is an earley fiberglass one, its a thin fiberglass shell with a frame under like the old aluminum ones so I could easily cut a hole in it to mount one.