LEO forgets about batteries...

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys use anything to check the primary 123's so you know if they need replaced? Other then the light getting dim that is.

I replace them under two circumstances:

A: When I notice them dimming or moon mode kicks in. I don't have any lights that just quit working so I'm always safe.

B: I'm going to clear a building or something and know the batteries are pretty old so I just pop a new set in.

I always make sure I've got a fresh set going into more tactical situations. If I was just working a football game or something simple like traffic stops, I would look for it to dim before I worried.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is one of the advantages of using 18650's over CR123s. If you have partially depleted CR123's, all you can do is replace them. If you are using 18650s (or 17670's), then you can "top them off," ensuring that you always have a full charge.

swampgator

Enlightened
B: I'm going to clear a building or something and know the batteries are pretty old so I just pop a new set in.

That ought to be drilled into the head of any officer using primaries. Batteries are cheap.

Both departments I worked for, one municipal PD, one state agency, initially issued large rechargeables. Magcharger and SL-20 respectively. Each during the course of my employment switch to the rechargeable Stinger. Always nice to stick in a charging cradle when not needed.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
That is one of the advantages of using 18650's over CR123s. If you have partially depleted CR123's, all you can do is replace them. If you are using 18650s (or 17670's), then you can "top them off," ensuring that you always have a full charge.

I agree, which is why I always use rechargeables. I always top those suckers off! I do carry some CR123's as backup up in my duty bag, along with a 17670 as a backup also... (plus two extra duty lights -- a Streamlight Strion which I make sure is always charged, and my issued duty light -- which I never use for anything, it's a Pelican M10).

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate the idea of using primaries. With good rechargeables and good chargers you can have a hassle free experience with your batteries. I like to have fresh batteries and a spare fully charged set - you never mind swapping them over because there is virtually no cost to recharging your half used cells.

I have so many rechargeable Li-ion batteries it isn't funny. I'll try a quick list:
Cell phone battery
Laptop battery
Camera battery
14500 in EDC
16340 in EDC2
18650 in my Jet-IIIM
16340 x 2 in my Olight M20
32600 x 2 in each of 3 Maglite 2D torches
IMR 26500 x 5 in my Maglite 4D
IMR 18650 x 8 in my Elephant II body

. . . and then there are my NiMH rechargeables . . .

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I don't think new batteries would make any difference if hes trying to compare to yours:nana:

haha, yes, this is true. But a Scorpion LED still has a nice deep reflector and some nice throw. Better than what he was pumping out with his dead batteries.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Well, for giving me such a good laugh, he's getting a free pair of fresh battery station (USA) cells today.

And I've already pointed him to a few retailers that sell them for for about $3-4/ea. (Keep in mind folks, I'm talking Canadian prices here).

I've also told him next time I stock up, I'll let him know and he can go in on a bulk buy online. He's not an "online" type of fellow. :whistle:
Some Police supply stores can have the deals on 12 packs of Streamlight and or Surefire CR123. Chances are he got his Streamlight at such a store?.

You could also look into helping him get a good rechargeable setup which uses say 18650 or such. Where he can recharge after fair bit of use versus waiting until the CR123's are pretty weak or even 50% before changing.

$15 for 2?
I thought they are CAD $19.99 for 2.
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Prod...ne&category=Lithium+Batteries&product=2300255
It is actually not funny. I never bought any CR123A lights because of that.
More like say $13 for Energizer CR123

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
I think this is the reason why surefire rates their lights runtime to the death...because before we learned of what "regulation" is, 90% of the time our lights functioned with dying batteries on the direct drive mode [this is pre-CPF, aka unenlightened times].

Unless the scorpion ran out of juice completely, one would have no knowledge of this dimming issue if you hadn't pulled your 6P Malkoff and gave him that reference to compare to:thumbsdow:ohgeez::kiss: