Level 4 Laser: Should I Buy, Build, or Kit?

shintashi

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I originally found this forum while doing comparisons between wickedlaser torch and other 4000+ lumen flash lights. Now I'm looking into lasers. I've looked at several different companies including laserglow, dragon lasers, wicked lasers, and more questionable ones like awesomelasers and some Chinese wholesalers. I've also checked into several different colors and hacks, and I've come to the conclusion that I want a 1000mw -10 000mw laser, preferably close to blue in the 440-450+ nm color range - basically something between icy blue and borderline tanzanite/indigo range.

I know almost nothing about these blu-ray diodes or the giant blue lithium ion batteries I see you guys use, but I vaguely understand what I want, and how much I'm willing to pay.

preferred specs:
color: 445-447nm
power: >1000mw
length: 6"+ less
shell: black
shell material: aircraft aluminum 6061 or 7075
price: prefer to spend under $500
safety: some kind of key lock and a recommendation for functional safety glasses
battery: some sort of Li-Ion like A123 or those sky blue things

Right now, it should be obvious I don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about, so I'm wide open to advice, kitbashing ideas, book recommends, etc.

shintashi

Newly Enlightened
Well I ended up finding a good dealer, I got an excellent discount by purchasing it in person, and it ran well under $200, even counting the gas and convenient store junk food on the way. Turns out the sunglasses I was wearing worked as excellent filters for the light, though I don't understand enough about MJs to know why, nor do I trust them as everyday safety glasses for this laser. The readout on the meter soared over 1020mW before the meter maxed itself out, so we only know its >1W. I skipped the key switch this time but may have one installed on the next one.
I found out any business that sells as a corporation has to have like 5 different safety mechanisms including a delay, key switch, safety cap, and more - all these features drive up the price on something you already have shipping and handling fees for. I could post pictures if that's what people do.

al93535

Newly Enlightened
What wavelength is the laser? IMHO using sunglasses to filter laser light is irresponsible. You should think a little harder about how much you value your sight.

I contacted Oakley, and searched the net and what I learned was that you NEED laser safety glasses. I have a 445 laser at 1.2 watts and will never risk my eyes not wearing the glasses. I bought "eagle pair" glasses. Look it up