Liberty wind turbine collapse

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well, siht happens. but good news, an average wind farm has 50 turbines, big ones several hundreds, loss of 1 wont affect output much if at all.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well, siht happens. but good news, an average wind farm has 50 turbines, big ones several hundreds, loss of 1 wont affect output much if at all.
Right, but why did the one fail? If the other turbines are the same, they might all fall down.

I'm guessing ice buildup with wind load, overcame the structural integrity of the tower. Or, if one blade broke off, the imbalance would likely tear the thing apart.

I wonder if the media will cover the post mortem, and let us all know the real reason that it failed.

Buff

Enlightened
They fly into my windows and break their necks half the time. So i guess they are stupid when it comes to flying into things.
IMG_1450.jpeg

I drove a big truck for 28 years and probably had a dozen fly into my radiator. Heck 15 year anniversary of the miracle on the Hudson. They like flying into airplane engines too! 😂

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Submitted for your consideration -

I get the bonding process analogy as one involved in road rehabilitations. Without quantitative data we don't know how well items laminated together are bonded until we see failure. Then it's "oops that wasn't bonded very well". In our case in most instances it means early potholes and rehabing at 5 years instead of say, 8 or 10.

In turbines it means a blade (or more than one) fails. Yeah, it seems like there would be ways to test and perhaps there are but perhaps owner of said turbines needs to require those sources of data more often. In bridges for example we pick 10% of the bolts to check for proper bond. As a rule bridges don't fail because a few bolts weren't tight, yet a few places on a turbine not being bonded can lead to failure. So perhaps the parameters of testing should be tighter.

Sheesh I used a lot of big words in this one.

Buff

Enlightened
Yes i agree. Why so huge? Why not 10 small ones that you can access with a ladder?
Servicing these POS is a major deal. I saw pictures of ones that had huge oil leaks all running down the mast. Guess in the end we will still need oil?
Also as these things fail imagine the land fills? I wonder if they will be the same landfills where they dispose of all the EV batteries? What a mess.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
They fly into my windows and break their necks half the time. So i guess they are stupid when it comes to flying into things. View attachment 56024
I drove a big truck for 28 years and probably had a dozen fly into my radiator. Heck 15 year anniversary of the miracle on the Hudson. They like flying into airplane engines too! 😂
That was 15 years ago??