Light for police academy

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
Starting the police academy soon and I'm looking for a duty belt light with a lot of throw and decent flood. I was looking at the Thrunite catapult V3 and the Malkoff hound dog. Any other suggestions that would fit my needs are appreciated.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Starting the police academy soon and I'm looking for a duty belt light with a lot of throw and decent flood. I was looking at the Thrunite catapult V3 and the Malkoff hound dog. Any other suggestions that would fit my needs are appreciated.

The new surefire fury is a decent price. Worth a look are the sunwayman t20cs, Klarus xt11, Eagletac mkII, I have used them all for duty and have no issues with any but really like the t20cs and the surefire.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What your price range? How much throw/spill? Size?

What about a P60 accepting light? You'd be able to swap out the module for brighter ones as things change.

Nubster

Newly Enlightened
I just decided after much reading to go with a Solarforce host and a Nailbender drop in for my new belt mounted duty light. A couple of rechargeable 18650 batteries and a charger in my cruiser and I'm good to go. There are numerous drop in options that will allow you to choose exactly what you need, in some cases even down to the color temp of the bulb.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an owner of the Hound Dog, I say go with that.
Right now it is a steal of a deal at $115 for the head, and you get the body of your choice for $45.
Can't beat it.

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a light with a longer body, preferably 2x 18650s. I have the XT11 and I want something with a bit more throw than that.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog is a perfect UI for LE use. It has momentary or clicky on/off at the tactical tailswitch, and it has a short twist of the head to select Hi or Low. You can pre-select the brightness mode of Hi or Low BEFORE you turn the light on, or you can select it after it's on. Change back and forth any time with head twist.
You can choose the body length for the type of battery length you want. Choose MD4 body for 2 x 18650. Or MD3 body for 2 x 18500.

Everything about the HD is built for rugged LE or Military type use. Police are one of the largest segments of buyers of Malkoff lights because they are rugged and reliable and they perform. There is nothing from China that even gets into the same league with this light for your kind of purposes.

The SureFire Fury would probably be the 2nd choice, but at the current sale price of the Hound Dog, it's in the same price range as the Fury now.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the Police Academy have any guidelines about flashlights? Do they specify a UI, or anything else?