Liquid Sky Scanner thing....

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Wow, I got some mirrors from you... :) You don't have a "how to" on cutting them up do you? I got a hand held glass cutter and just can't seem to get them to cut with out breaking ot leaving sharp edges. I'm really close to taking hte other 11 sticks to a glass place and seeing how much they would charge.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I was wondering that also. It looks like a 4 pin molex connection for a harddrive. :huh: It says 15-24VDC, I bet a computer PSU would undervolt it a little but would probably still work.

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
"Liquid Sky Scanner"?

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the guts of a laser printer.

Sim-0

Newly Enlightened
badhorsey said:
"Liquid Sky Scanner"?

Unless I'm mistaken, that's the guts of a laser printer.

Here's one I scavenged from a big HP Laserjet...

It looks a bit meatier !

dr_lava

Enlightened
yeah it's the scanner head out of a laser printer or similar. Can be found surplus or out of a trashed printer for a fraction of the cost, but you have to figure out the power and On pins yourself, then. The mirrors are typically only a few mm wide, so it's only good for a 1-axis scanner, not x-y.

Sim-0

Newly Enlightened
I'm afraid I haven't tried it yet, but I did get it with the intention of making a liquid sky effect. Gotta be better than waving the laser back & forth by hand.

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
dr_lava said:
yeah it's the scanner head out of a laser printer or similar. Can be found surplus or out of a trashed printer for a fraction of the cost, but you have to figure out the power and On pins yourself, then. The mirrors are typically only a few mm wide, so it's only good for a 1-axis scanner, not x-y.

I suppose if they were a little wider and you could wobble it, you'd get some interesting effects?

Aiki1

Newly Enlightened
Sim-0 said:
I'm afraid I haven't tried it yet, but I did get it with the intention of making a liquid sky effect. Gotta be better than waving the laser back & forth by hand.

Ha - have you powered it up yet, and if so, how?

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I'd snag a multimeter and figuer out how much voltage the printer was giving the "scanner", if the printer still powers up, and is safe to do so... and then find soemthing that produces that much voltage, if you can't use the printer for this...

I don't know how manu people have the old Laser FX that I and others have been butchering, but it has several power connectors that offer various voltages. It is a nice late 80s type of electronic. A board with a lot of connectors that seems to be useful for many applications. Each componet can be removed with out killing the whole unit.

I took the light bulb out and found that the power connector for that spins a 12 volt fan fairly well, and it have a sound connector that makes a 5 volt galvo bounce to the beat of music or sounds inputed via an RCA jack. :grin2:

I'm willing to bet that thing will spin with 7 to 15 volts...

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, only two of the four connections are needed to power this thing. I'm not sure which is which, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out. You only need a power transformer capable of 12volts and around 500ma to power this thing. I'll see if I can find the connections needed.

Another thing you can try is to look for the driver IC's datasheet. It's bound to have the wiring schematics and from that you can figure which pins to use.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
O, and remember, you can get 5 and 12 volts from any PC power supply. On the molex 4 pin connector I think the yellow/black pair is 12 and the red/black pair is 5. The 3 pin fan connectors also provide power, but I am unsure how much. I think 3.3 volts, but you'd have to check for yourself.

I mention this because I have a PC that is not contained in a computer case, so the power wires are in close reach of where I test and... ah, research stuff with my lasers... :grin2: