Liteflux LF3 XT (Part II)

madi05

Enlightened
thanks alot , now i need another light it seems, lol

well what would the difference be in the golden version of the ex10? in your opinion , lol

madi05

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Correct, in my informal ceiling bounce test it seems to my eyes that my LiteFlux LF3 XT and my NiteCore EX10 put out about the same amount of light but when comparing them side-by-side on a white wall the beam of my LF3 XT has a slightly warmer tint and the transition from spot to spill seems smoother compared to my EX10. :)

Of course, please bear in mind that I only have one sample of each light so strictly speaking, it is not a very valid statistical comparison. :crackup: :grin2: :poke: ;)
You are not alone in this, my three show pretty much the same beam characteristics as yours do with my EX10 being just verrrry slightly cooler than my D10. Again, you are not alone.:wave:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiteFlux LF3 XT (L) and NiteCore EX10 (R):
LiteFluxLF3XTLvsNiteCoreEX10R.jpg

That's odd. LF3XT's hotspot and overall output look much lower than EX10's. Here's a comparison of my LF5XT and a D10:

3063478547_53af362261_o.jpg

Something's amiss here.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
I agree with orcinus that something's amiss with those beam shots.

I can't post beam shots but my comparison between my LF3XT and NDI(similar to D10) shows exactly what he shows.

Walter

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
im stuck again..this is driving me crazy. now i am in a momentary strobe mode. i have tried all of the reset combos but no luck. man! i think i am in way over my head with this ui. i just want to get back to cui for now. any ideas?

Try this. You probably are in the FUI, and could have accidentally gotten into the function setting mode or brightness mode. Turn on the light and do 3 clicks in a row. This should get you out of any function setting mode or out of the brightness setting mode, if you are there. Now, issue a 5cc (5 clicks in a row rapidly) followed by a PRESS and hold it. This should get you back into the CUI mode. From there issue 4 clicks in a row. DO NOT FOLLOW with a PH). This will toggle your momentary off.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I agree with orcinus that something's amiss with those beam shots.

I can't post beam shots but my comparison between my LF3XT and NDI(similar to D10) shows exactly what he shows.

Walter

I did say I only had one sample of each light, did I not? :rolleyes: :poke: :shrug:

The beamshots I have posted are done with the lights side-by-side with no messing with the photos afterwards other than shrinking the dimensions to a more forum-friendly size. If you guys disagree with the beamshot, take it up with my LF3 XT and my EX10. ;)

madi05

Enlightened
well all i can say is i like your real live beamshots , thanks alot for your efforts ,, now where is my damn lf3xt? lol probably still in china:shrug:

madi05

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did say I only had one sample of each light, did I not? :rolleyes: :poke: :shrug:

The beamshots I have posted are done with the lights side-by-side with no messing with the photos afterwards other than shrinking the dimensions to a more forum-friendly size. If you guys disagree with the beamshot, take it up with my LF3 XT and my EX10. ;)

Maybe you have an exxxxtrabright (low Vf) EX10 :)

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading the CPFMarketPlace Dealers section and noticed that Khoo shipped SelfBuilt a LF3XT on December 24th. I figure it will take Selfbuilt about 10 days to get it and another week at least before we see his review. I know that he intends to compare it to the EX10. Hopefully, his beamshots and measurements will settle this once and for all. I am so pleased Selfbuilt is doing this review. He is a trustworthy reviewer. IMO, this review is deserved and long overdue.

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened
Does the Nitecore have tailswitch lockout? I was playing with my lf3xt today and I really like this feature - not only can you prevent it from turning on, but you can also keep it from turning off/switching modes. :rolleyes:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Nitecore have tailswitch lockout? I was playing with my lf3xt today and I really like this feature - not only can you prevent it from turning on, but you can also keep it from turning off/switching modes. :rolleyes:

I think all Nitecores have lockout, except for the limited edition nickle plated NDI.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading the CPFMarketPlace Dealers section and noticed that Khoo shipped SelfBuilt a LF3XT on December 24th. I figure it will take Selfbuilt about 10 days to get it and another week at least before we see his review. I know that he intends to compare it to the EX10. Hopefully, his beamshots and measurements will settle this once and for all. I am so pleased Selfbuilt is doing this review. He is a trustworthy reviewer. IMO, this review is deserved and long overdue.

If there really are significant sample-to-sample variations of the EX10 (and they have been documented - if i recall correctly, there was even one mentioned somewhere around CPF with a forward voltage so low it was putting out close to 180 lumens and was heating up significantly @ max) and/or LF3XT, no amount of trustworthyness and selfbuilt's experience in making awesome reviews will help.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
If there really are significant sample-to-sample variations of the EX10 (and they have been documented - if i recall correctly, there was even one mentioned somewhere around CPF with a forward voltage so low it was putting out close to 180 lumens and was heating up significantly @ max) and/or LF3XT, no amount of trustworthyness and selfbuilt's experience in making awesome reviews will help.

True, with sample-to-sample variations and selfbuilt getting a sample size of 1 light of each to play with the only real conclusion we could draw is that his sample LF3 XT is brighter/dimmer/warmer/cooler than his sample EX10. As trustworthy and experienced as selfbuilt is (and I agree fully that selfbuilt is as trustworthy a reviewer as they come), a sample size of 1 is just not enough to draw a statistically valid conclusion. :thinking:

Of course, the obvious solution to this difficulty with such a small sample size is for everyone to send in their LF3 XTs and EX10s to selfbuilt so he can build up a larger sample size... ;) :D :grin2: :poke: :crackup:

h2oflyer

Enlightened
I guess there's no possibility that the deranged coder beam shot got reversed/mirror image . Just asking.

Even with weak battery the spill size doesn't make sense.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I guess there's no possibility that the deranged coder beam shot got reversed/mirror image . Just asking.

Even with weak battery the spill size doesn't make sense.

Nope, wasn't reversed or mirror imaged. You can see the rings on the EX10 beam on the right versus the smoother transition from spot to spill on the LF3 XT beam on the left.

I think orcinus might be right about the output for my EX10. I just did a quick side-by-side comparison of my EX10 and D10 on both high and low and in both cases my EX10 looks noticeably brighter to me. So maybe I just lucked out on the LED lottery and got a really bright EX10. :shrug:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

Especially on Li-ion, given the analysis of the EX10 circuit that was showing it as a boost only circuit. On li-ion it's direct driving until the voltage drops low enough the boost kicks in. Combine direct drive on fresh Li-ion with Cree not binning for forward voltage and you could have huge variance in the performance of EX10's on peak cells.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine and it is really great. As someone said, it is what the EX10 should have been. I agree with what has alreay been said about the sharp corners etc but overall I am very pleased with the fit and finish, the beam quality and colour and the overall UI. Liteflux is definitely a very underated light IMO.

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened
Who else wants to see custom buttons for the LF3XT/LF5XT with trit slots?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nitecore EX10's hot spot is noticeably brighter than my LF3XT's hot spot. I have one of the early EX10's which may have a low Vf. My EX10 is a bit brighter than my D10 when they are both running lithium ions. This is one of the reasons I mentioned I'd like to see a little more output from the LF3XT, my LF5XT is much brighter.