LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine

LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine?

• Total voters

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

i love my new pvd body as well and it is smaller when i removed the crenulations ,, now i going to try another one with another pvd color, just because

Hey, did you post a picture of your modified light somewhere yet?

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Question on whining /humming

Is the hum experienced at low output such as LD01 the same as whining on high output on some lights ? I think I understand that the low hum is a result of PWM. Curious as to what causes the whine at high.

Walter

madi05

Enlightened
Hey, did you post a picture of your modified light somewhere yet?

yep right here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/220063

im going to take better pics, my pics are not that good of what it look like in reality,, i have had it now and carried it everyday ,,dropped it twic on a tile floor and wood floor and no scratches yet ,, i dropped my lf3xt with the standard finish and it scratched and chipped in two places ,, i didnt want to post that before because it was my fault but one of the reasons i did the pvd right away , lol

on a good note this light is pretty tough it appears it survived 3 dropps and still working fine

enjoy!!
madi05

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted loudly. My LF5XT whined far louder, but it is still the only flashlight I own that whines loud enough to be heard without putting your ear up to it.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Looks like the ratio is roughly the same - 22 lights that whine out of 34 owners. This is the only light that I own that has a whine.

Walter

oldpal

Enlightened
My LF3XT doesn't whine to me. But I couldn't hear it if it did. I believe that my wife would let me know if the thing was whining, so it probably doesn't.

brik

Newly Enlightened
This survey seems a little unfair to me, sounds more negative than may be the case in the field. I almost didn't buy lf3xt because i like quiet, and fortunately i find my new lf3xt (love it !-) does whine ... but only if i hold it near my ear.

I think the survey should have another category after whines a little, "whine audible held up to your ear". I don't do that very often, so not a problem ...

thx, brik

lovecpf

bansuri

Enlightened
Whines from 50% and up.
Not a dealbreaker. Can hear it from arm's length.
I have a couple other lights that whine as well.

Hidden feature alert!*************
With the light on slightly unscrewing the head makes it impossible to turn off the light!!!!!
OK, not that spectacular, but it freaked me out for a second. I was messing around with the head to affect the whine and forgot to screw it back tight.

Summary:
If my 44yr old "grew up playing in rock and roll bands and now work in a production shop" ears can hear the whine in MY light, anyone can. YMMV.
Love the light too much to send back. I'll live with it.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed I hadn't submitted to this poll. My LF3XT doesn't whine. It wouldn't matter tho. I'd still love it. It's an incredible EDC.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only hear it rammed in my ear and about 1mm away from the auditory nerve,and it bothers me non :)

it could be that having to put up with 110 decibels of "SHE" whinging each day helps :whistle:

that or I'm as deaf as a T bone steak :devil:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only hear it rammed in my ear and about 1mm away from the auditory nerve,and it bothers me non :)
:devil:
Hey, don't you know you're not suppose to put anything smaller than a football in your ear!? :wave: :crackup:

I can't hear as well as my wife, (she hears everything :shakehead) so I usually have her listen to it when checking a light for noise.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, don't you know you're not suppose to put anything smaller than a football in your ear!? :wave: :crackup:
"FOOTBALL" :thinking:
ok no problem :laughing:
Big_Ears_painting.jpg

But really any noise from lights is not a deal breaker for me so long as the light function otherwise :twothumbs

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :twothumbs How long did it take you to find that!?

If there's any perceived benefit from working in a factory most of my life, it's now not being able to hear fancy new LED flashlight inductor whine. :huh:
At least not enough to bother me.

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it looking for some info on the LF3XT (unrelated to the "whining" sound)..- but I thought I had something of interest to contribute (or at least it can't hurt).

I never heard a whine with my LF3XT..but I'm over 50 and we all seem to lose some hearing with age...Maybe I'm worse than most since I was subjected (volunteerily) to a lot of very loud rock and roll music - both as a band member and as a regular spectator when I lived in NYC and the Fillmore East was rockin' - and involunteerily to some very loud sounds of battle a very short time after the Fillmore days (my hearing was marginal at my induction physical...when I was still young - but they were taking anyone it seemed...I had/have a friend who is a dwarf and he did not get a 4F exemption, he got a 1Y, which meant that he could still be drafted in a pinch!).

A few days ago, one of my brothers came to visit from out of town.....he has two sons, one is 14 and one is 9. My son is 25. We were all together when I played with my Iphone's "dog whistle" app....which has sliders for frequency, volume and pattern.

My dog is a puppy and I'm sure she hears everything, but she also ignores pretty much everything (especially me if I say "no!") :)

So I tried it on my other brother's dog (he has no kids)...We were at his house, and dog is older than mine....about 4 or 5 years, and her ears perked up at a frequency no one could hear except for the 8 year old nephew.

My 25 year old son had recently taken and passed the Navy's pilot training physical, so clearly his hearing is perfect for an adult. The 14 year old nephew seemed to hear up to the same frequency as the older dog. So it seems (even though it's not imaginable to me to be possible) that the 8 year old has more sensitive hearing than a 4 year old dog.

My guess is that it may have been just the frequency, and not the volume, since the dog, like all dogs seem to hear things that are too far away for Superman to hear....they all seem to perk up at the approach of their owner's cars when they are blocks away. When I was a child, my collie would sleep though the screams and screeches of the 10 or so kids that lived on our street when we would play outside...but if a kid from another block happened to ride his bike on our street, the dog would wake up and bark his head off...(can't know if it was the sound or the scent).

But I guess the bottom line is my LF3XT could have woken a dead dog, or given an 8 year old a piercing pain in the ears, but I never heard a thing.

As was mentioned before in this thread, I think it would have been interesting to have included age brackets in the poll...

My own theory is younger people have better hearing so they can learn more easily even from the back of a classroom..... And older people have worse hearing so they have an excuse to ignore what they are disinterested in...which is a lot..Perhaps this post would be a good example! LOL

Peace,
D.

Latest posts