Lithium powered - emergency preparedness

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH,

Have you run any of these lights with Li batteries w/o problems? Any idea about runtime?

Also, how much light do you get with the different numbers of LEDs in them?

Thanks,

-john

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

JimH,

Have you run any of these lights with Li batteries w/o problems? Any idea about runtime?

Thanks,

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't used lithiums in them yet, but I'll slap some in one of the lights and let you know tomorrow.

How much light do you get is a question that I just don't know how to answer.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was just wondering because one has only two LEDs and the next one up has 12. Pretty big difference, but they both run on 4AA. Then there is that 30 LED one.

Which one(s) do you have?

Thanks,

-john

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I have are the 12 LED lanterns in the 3 set with the case. These have a five level switch. I also have the 30 LED lantern. It has a two position switch - 15 LEDs or 30 LEDs. It is worth it ro order 3 of the 12 LED lanterns - they come in a real nice case. The 30 LED lantern also comes in a nice case.

So far I've been running a 12 LED light on the highest setting, with Eveready Lithiums for 4 hours with no noticable decrease in light. I'll let it run overnight and post an update in the morning.

moraino

Enlightened
Regarding those dimmable lanterns, do they use simple resistors to dim the LEDs or there is electronic circuit used?

Henry

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a circuit board inside, but it contains only resistors so I guess that answers your question.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

JimH,

Thanks,

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, John, I let the lantern run all night (15 hours) on the highest light setting. It was kind of hard to tell in the daylight, but it looked pretty much as bright as when I started.

So in answer to your question - yes, it runs very well on AA lithiums.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coolness. This (12 LED unit) sounds like a great little light.

(And thanks for burning 4 Li AAs for the sake of this experiment)

-john

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Same light, same batteries? Or something different?

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Same light, same batteries.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
Experiment continuing one more night - results in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd it go?

Thanks,

-john

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ODatsBright said:
Funny you should ask that lightwave1. Instead of lugging around those lantern lights I plan on making something for general area lighting. I have some of the parts already and a general plan of what I'd like to design and build. Once I get my LED's from LedSupply hopefully next week I'm looking into its feasibility, light output, etc.

Everyone here seems to be designing and building or modding throw type flashlights so I thought I'd build a HQ area/general use/tent type light. Here is the idea; weather it comes to fruition remains to be seen as some of the electronics might be beyond me (any electronics guru's here want to lend a helping hand I'd be most grateful)

Body to be made from 1¼" polycarbonate or plexiglass, frosted
power/electronics housing to be made from stainless
O.A.L. approximately 4"
1W or 3W Luxeon
internal power 2 parallel 123's
circuit to be a CC regulated,reverse pol. protected, 1.5-12V capable
some kind of waterproof/resistant DC input, leads to have magnets for connecting to exteranl primaries, including any lantern or LA type battery up to 12V.

Basically the idea is to have a luminary capable of lighting a fair size room, something like a 13'×15' enough to read a book with or cook by and when/if the primaries fail, be able to use the lead with magnets to hook to whatever power source you can find, loose 2032, AA, D, steal a 9V from a smoke detector, yank the 8AH 6V from the kids toy barbie car, or drag a spare car battery out of the garage...you get the picture I think.

I may find that this is quite infeasable or impossible to accomplish, but the first place to start is an idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi - Neat idea. Well, I would say go ahead, but you and I should probably talk by PM. I have something coming out this month that is 90% of what you are discussing in form and function. If you are interested, maybe we can work together on enhancements ?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a dorcy lantern that may be useful for that venture, it is designed for a lantern battery and has a 6v krypton bulb and a screw on domed opaque white lid about 3"x 3" with an on/off slide switch and a metal collapsing hook on the bottom for hanging. I paid 1.00 for it and have thought about combining a 4D->6v adapter with 5A nimh 1800mah cells in the bottom for dual power and put 8 5mm LEDs in it with the incan also, have settings for the LEDs to run at different levels with resistors.

dlong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
Experiment continuing one more night - results in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, how did it go... ?

-d