lod ce output

cody

Newly Enlightened
i am thinking about buying a lod ce and i was wondering what you would compare the output to? i have never seen one.
thanks

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF
It might help if we know what lights you already have, if any. Post here or list on your sigline.

UnknownVT has a review of the L0D-CE with beamshots. More if you scroll down.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150892
On post 39 he has practical beamshots at a staircase
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1824132&postcount=39
He has other flashlights at the same staircase in this thread. Again scroll down for more pictures of different lights.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95336
This should give you some idea of how a L0D-CE performs. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Here is the link to Flashlight reviews L0D-CE page.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm
Quickbeam said:
The shear volume of light produced is amazing for a single AAA cell light. My readings show that on the "high" setting the L0D-CE is producing more light overall than a 3-D Maglite. On "medium" it produces more light overall than a common 2-D cell light. All this from one AAA cell.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very happy with my LOD luxIII with a 10440 cell on my keyring. Now after seeing those nice beamshots of it, I think I may have to upgrade :ohgeez: From the looks of it, my LOD on li-ion has roughly the same output as the LOD-CE with a regular primary. That LOD-CE with a 3.7V cell must be close to 100 lumens:rock:

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
Welcome Cody. I ordered one on Sat from Fenix Store. Based on the input from the forum, I couldn't resist. Sounds like a very impressive EDC.:D

coppertrail

Enlightened
Believe it or not, the L0D CE is one of my favorite and most utilized lights. It's in my pants pocket everywhere I go. It's amazing how much light that little device puts out. I highly recommend! :thumbsup:

txmatt

Enlightened
I think it has to do with the regulation difference between the L0(D CE) and L1 and L2. Since the L1D CE (and L2D CE) is current regulated, it has a better ability to limit the current going to the emitter and thus limits brightness. Supposedly above a certain voltage point, the L0D CE is direct drive, so it's not doing much current regulation. So with both on lithium ions, the L0D CE drives the Cree harder than the other two.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo said:
Holy crap!
But I dont get it, how can it be brighter on 14500 than L1D CE on 14500? Cause I havent heard anyone say that the L1D is close to 150lumens on 14500.

I just checked my L1D with a 4.14V 14500 and it pulled 780mA on Turbo. I recall reading that the LOD pulls 1.1A with a 10440, although briefly.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cleverly observed. I didnt think about the L0D CE being PWM. Youre probably right, it sounds like a plausible explanation.
Thanks!

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
The L0D CE is a very nice little light. It's got real punch, and on a Lithium in Turbo mode it can come real close to a P1D in output with much the same beam. While I don't carry it every day, it does get some mileage when I need more power than my 2ndGen Arc-AAA can provide. I'd carry it more if I weren't especially sensitive to the flickering it has on low and medium.

It's a real gas when I fire it up in Turbo with a 10440. I don't keep it on for long for fear of cooking it, but it sure is fun!. You want to see the amazement in peoples eyes when something so small and hidden in you hand can light things up like a car headlight.

I've been wishing for a 2-AAA tube for it, seems like it would be a great compromise, 3 volts, a couple of hours run time and P1D brightness. I made a 2-AAA tube just to test it with and I like it a lot. Funny thing, with 2-AAA's the flickering that bothers me at low levels (yes, the levels still work) almost completely disappears; I haven't a clue why that should be.

All-in-all, a nice light and you won't regret the purchase.

Al

Bobmeister

Newly Enlightened
Al_Havemann said:
I made a 2-AAA tube just to test it with and I like it a lot.

I have a Fenix L0D and have also been thinking about a 2-AAA tube for it as well. However, people here at CPF have told me that one will not be forthcoming from Fenix. How exactly did you create your 2-AAA tube?

* Did you use a tube from another flashlight, that just happened to fit the L0D?
* Did you buy a generic aluminum tube and mod it?

I'd like to create one myself, if it's not too difficult.

--- Bob

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I just used an old 2-AAA minimag tube that I cut down to fit. It's not threaded and doesn't fit very well so I just put in a couple of batteries and used duct tape to hold the mess together for a test.

I didn't do any formal output tests, just eyeball and no runtime either. I was just trying to see if it would work.

On Alkaline it works fine - levels all work and it's got solid punch. The batteries hold up well, I can't see any difference between alkalines and NiMH cells.

On Lithiums it seems about the same as running it on a 10440, same slam of light, too much really, the head got real hot real quick, it obviously wasn't going to take it very long.

On NiMH cells it ran just fine Great output, no overheating like it does on lithium or a 10440. Still gets quite warm on Turbo but not like lithiums. I only ran it on Turbo for maybe 10 minutes but I'd guess the temp had stabilized by then. This seems like the best combination.

Low and medium don't seem too different from single AAA, a bit brighter across the board perhaps. High seems about equal to my P1D, the advertised output of a P1D is about 70 lumen's.

Turbo really jumps the output, I've no way to measure it but there's a considerable difference.

I've been trying to have a tube made to fit at a shop near me but they seem to be having trouble finding the right material for the tube and even more trouble with the thread pitch on thin walled tubing. Their not particularly interested and are just giving it a try because I asked.

I've also considered using the battery tube from my older L0P and have it mated to the L0P CE tube at the machine shop, they said they could do it so I might go that route if nothing else shows up.

Al