Long lasting emergency flashlight/battery combination?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I have been looking into flashlights for emergency preparedness kits for my family. I have the following criteria:

1. Long run times are more important than lumen level
2. Needs to store well
3. Not expensive as I need to buy 5 (home, 2x car, 2x workplace)
4. Strong preference for AA cells (availability/trying to standardize)

I just bought a Fenix E21 as a trial and discovered that I should have been researching batteries as much as the light itself! The generic alkalines I had to hand couldn't drive the high mode, Duracells could but I understand the runtime is a lot less than NiMH. I know NiMH discharge has been much improved but I'm still worried about using them for emergency backup, particularly in the car. Lithium non-rechargables would seem to solve the power and discharge problems but I read on another thread somewhere that the E21 can only use them in high?

I also read that electronic switches have a small parasitic drain, but haven't been able to confirm that this is the case for the E21?

What combination of flashlight/cell do you recommend for my use/given my criteria above?

Thanks, B

BTW: I already have some cheap dynamo lights and light sticks in the kits, am interested here in a "real" primary flashlight.

When you say "Long run times," how many hours are we talking?

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
I will also vote for at least 1 quark miniAA. Its very efficient. Add a Fenix AAA size clip (available at the 4sevens website), and you can clip it to a hat, or shirt collar as a hands free light. As an added bonus, it can run on a AAA battery, so you can scavenge from your remotes if your desperate.
I will also backup the vote for a zebralight headlamp. One of the most useful lights around. makes a good headlamp, angle light, utility light. very power efficient too.

On a budget, I hear the Romisen lights at shiningbeam.com are very nice, quality lights for the money.
Look at the ITP lights also.

My emergency lights are:
EDC: Quark MiNiAA. as stated before, with a clip added, its extremely versatile, and power efficient. I run and eneloop AA in it, with some AA lithiums stashed in my car, and my desk at work.
Car/bugoutbag: Zebralight H51Fw. Its very power efficient, useable as a headlamp, angle light, etc. very versatile. Loaded with an eneloop, and lithiums kept as backups. I used to have a zebralight H501 in the car, but I like the beam pattern on the H51 better.
Car/bugoutbag2: Quark AA2. sturdy, efficient, all the other good stuff for a got to light.
Home/Bump in the night: Quark turbo w/18650 (have 2AA body for backup). Great for checking out the neighborhood. I keep it near the front door.
Nightstand light: Quark tactical, with 2AA body. set for low/max. low is nice for checking out the inside of the house without disturbing anyone, and high is great for blinding intruders.
I also have several AA powered lanterns for longer power outages. And of course some older lights. I keep about 10 charged eneloops, about 80 lithium, and 100 or so "kirkland" (from costco) brand alkaline AAs around.

EDIT:
I highly recommend getting an EDC light. THE MOST IMPORTANT LIGHT IS THE ONE YOU HAVE WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT. On a tight budget, get an ITP 3 mode, either AA or AAA. Bigger budget, Quark MiNi for AA, or Quark Preon Revo for AAA. even bigger budget, talk to someone else :)
NEVER leave an emergency light loaded with alkalines. PERIOD. alkalines are prone to leakage, and can trash the light. They also pretty much suck. If you dont want to worry about the batteries, load with Lithiums. 15+ year shelf life, much more temperature tolerant, and runtimes will be about 4 times longer. Dont trust your loved ones lives to alkalines!
I load with the trusty eneloops, because I actually use my lights periodically. I swap in fresh charged cells about every 3 months, and have lithiums for backups.

Last edited:

Y0ssar1an

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks again for all the info! I broke my own rules and have ordered some 9v "handyman" safelights for the bags, and a couple of Quark 123 minis for EDC. There's (of course) no single do-everything light; this mix offers both utility & dependable backup.

I am looking forward to the lights arriving and seeing how well they work in practice!

All the best, Ben

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my money looking for runtime on AA, I grab my Quark 2xAA. The runtime is ridiculous, and it will run on 1AA and a spacer if needed.
Well worth the cost.

You should post a WTB in the marketplace.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
another vote for the Quark Mini AA.

I don't have one but I have only heard good things about the budget alternative the ITP A2 EOS at about $25 ea.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many others believe as well, the AA size light makes huge good sense and my strong preference is for single AA size so you only need 1 cell to run it.

Especially important, I feel, is a light with a super low low, a few intermediate levels, a potent high, and emergency modes. This gives you very long run times if desired and a nice range of economical output levels, in addition to MAX and emergency modes.

I wasn't much for emergency modes on flashlights until I realized how critical the strobe mode can be in a roadside emergency. The ability to toggle between full constant light and strobe with a click of the switch, back and forth, is extremely useful in dealing with roadside issues and with alerting oncoming drivers of the situation. Makes a flashlight a very effective tool. Quark AA Regular does all these things magnificently well and is my first choice for this. It will run on 14500 Li-ion (my first choice for daily use) and can also be powered by AA Lithium L91 primary, AA sized Eneloop, AA NiMh, even the ubiquitous AA alkaline if that's all you can get your hands on. With regular tailcap the light will also tailstand for ceiling bounce to provide wonderful soft, wide room illumination. This is a must-have light in my view for daily use as well as for emergency. Its the light I would recommend to any friend or relative who wants a great, all around highly versatile, quality light.

Last edited:

teacher

Newly Enlightened
I have some Gen 3 Mini Mag Lights stashed around run by Eneloops that do for me. I don't use them much but they are in handy places and always ready when I do need them.

I put a Terra Lux tail cap on them and that eliminates the twist on/off and I put a Terra Lux LED mod in a couple of them for extra light.

srfreddy

Enlightened
M..... I say one E21, and 2xduraloops, 2x L91 lithiums in a case, and eneloops inside for both workplace and home, and then good headlamps in the workplace, home, and cars, I say Fenix Hl20, and 4x L91 Lithiums, with an eneloop inside. Headlamps are useful in emergencies as they free your hands up.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the 4Sevens MiNi AA:

- $36 shipped from 4sevens.com (with CPF discount)
- as light as you can get, barely wider than the AA cell, and half an AA longer (i.e., 150% longer than an AA cell)
- 2.7 lumens for 60 hours (that's one whole month on a single AA if you use it 2 hours a night)
- 25 lumens for 20 hours
- 90 lumens max for when you need it (there will be times when you definitely want more lumens)
- easily (but not accidentally) accessible special modes: strobe, SOS, high and low beacon.
- runs on widely available AA-sized cells (can be scavenged from remote controls, toys, etc. in an emergency)
- takes L91 (Energizer Lithium) for long-term storage. Definitely recommended because you don't want to fish the light out of your BOB and find that the light won't turn on because the alkaline cell is leaking :sick2:
- tail stands (important for some folks)

This is what I was going to recommend - so I will: Go with this!

1 x AA is the best form factor you can get for what you want - take that medium output of 25 Lumen for 20 hours and buy a 4-pack of AA Lithium primary batteries. That would be 1 battery in the light and 3 spares for 80 hours @ 25 Lumen. Then there is the spare batteries that you might be able to scavenge from all sorts of AA using devices.

Since we are talking about emergency preparedness I'd also suggest keeping a 1 x AAA light on you - also lots of things to scavenge more batteries from and it makes a good backup. I'd go with something with 3 modes (ITP A3, Fenix LD01, Quark 1xAAA, etc) which would give you the ability to trade brightness for run-time as required.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
Interesting that this thread came up... I was prompted by the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunamis to get my emergency bags up to date.
I too had narrowed my bag lights down to the 4Sevens MINI AA. After seeing this thread, which confirmed my research I took the plunge and bought two. Plan to keep it in the bag with some L91's

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the 4Sevens MiNi AA:

- $36 shipped from 4sevens.com (with CPF discount)
- as light as you can get, barely wider than the AA cell, and half an AA longer (i.e., 150% longer than an AA cell)
- 2.7 lumens for 60 hours (that's one whole month on a single AA if you use it 2 hours a night)
- 25 lumens for 20 hours

Agree that then Mini AA is a good choice but it doesn't live up those specs.
Med is more like 6-8 hrs and low 30-40hrs.

See runtimes posted here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ight-Run-Time-Testimonials-real-world-testing!

Latest posts