Long running single AA torch for 3yr old son

The Jester

Newly Enlightened
For what it is worth, I just gave my son and daughter (6 and 3 respectively) cheap keychain lights from Mertline. I got them for 0.50 each shipped. They are not AA lights, but for the price, I picked up a few of them and can easily replace them when they are lost or when the battery dies.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
They might be a little big, but I think those are definitely in the write direction.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
Why not make them charge their own light with a crank like the energizer weather ready? They are currently about $10 at walmart. Your kids may have even more fun with the crank and you will never have to charge them.

balou

Enlightened
I ordered a couple of Akoray K-106's and I was going to program all three modes to be low but I recd the 6 mode non programmable ones instead

Could you tell which model exactly you ordered? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16607 ?

I'm using this one: http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1137 as a battery vampire. It'll work down to 0.7V. Never measured the runtime, because I always used it with 'depleted' batteries. But current draw is minimal, should last a long time.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about this?I know it's 2AA but hard to beat the price and runtime! My 2 yr old has a 3 coin cell light with a 5mm LED, and a blue lifegear (one with the lg. diffuser) that I can't recall the model of.

heathen

Newly Enlightened
Might I also suggest that you get something with reverse polarity protection. If you child is anything like mine they will be taking the battery out and accidentally put it back in wrong and then...:poof:

nightcrawler

Newly Enlightened
Why not make them charge their own light with a crank like the energizer weather ready? They are currently about $10 at walmart. Your kids may have even more fun with the crank and you will never have to charge them.

HA HA HA!

You obviously don't have little kids... Daddy, my light won't come on, can you charge it for me??? Daddy, I'm tired of cranking this light.... Daddy.... Daddy..... :hairpull: :eek: :sick2: :D

amigafan2003

Enlightened
I've been daft - I already know what the perfect light would be - a Quark AA tactical and program the light for med/low mode for tight and loosened - 6hrs/2 days run time.

Jobs a good 'un.

Shame there aren't any R2 AA ones left else could have got a couple on sale :)

Thanks for all the other suggestions guys. Really wouldn't have had to have had this discussion if the Akoray K-106's were still programmable - grrr!

ALiteZ

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently in the process of trying to track down my 7 year old son's E01. After a barrage of "when/where/how were you using it last" questions, all I get in reply is "I don't know". My 10 year old daughter has no problem managing hers.
So my suggestion is the LifeGear glowstick. Cheap. It's big enough to spot when it gets lost. Plastic, maybe a little safer in the mouth. You could put some plumber's tape on the threads so it's harder for them to unscrew. Plus, it's every parent's responsibility to inflict other parents with aggravation from noisy kid gadgets...Having been on the receiving end ourselves. There's a whistle on the end of this thing!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the other suggestions guys. Really wouldn't have had to have had this discussion if the Akoray K-106's were still programmable - grrr!

Hi, i got my Akoray K106 from kaidomain and it was the programmable one (it stated 3 mode), you might want to surf on over there and take a look. Perhaps even email them to see if they can meet your needs. Jay (i think that's his name) replies pretty quickly.