Long time Petzel owner having trouble adjusting to Zebralight

euthymic

Newly Enlightened
A slight alternative I ended up with while playing with the strap is shown below. It might stress the silicon of the holder a bit more than the other suggustions (so you could keep an eye out for possible tears) but so far with extended use I haven't had any issues. Something else to try if you don't mind your zebra light strap being inside out. Still fits my "relatively" big head with some adjustability and all of the hard wear is facing the right way as to not press into your forehead.

ZebraHeadband.jpg

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had silicone rubber things break in the past... one of the finger-rings that 4sevens includes with their 1xAA and 1x123 size lights failed on me last summer, fortunately not at an inopportune moment...

That said, the rubber on the ZL holders is thicker than that of the 4sevens handstrap and finger-rings, but I'd be careful about putting too much stress on the bracket this way. If you're okay with wearing the light a little on the looser side, I'd think it'd probably be okay though.

A slight alternative I ended up with while playing with the strap is shown below. It might stress the silicon of the holder a bit more than the other suggustions (so you could keep an eye out for possible tears) but so far with extended use I haven't had any issues. Something else to try if you don't mind your zebra light strap being inside out. Still fits my "relatively" big head with some adjustability and all of the hard wear is facing the right way as to not press into your forehead.

ZebraHeadband.jpg

bla2000

Enlightened
I've changed to B0wz3r's headband solution and it works great. It's more comfortable and secure than the default Zebra setup. Thanks.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Well, in the end I decided to sell the H51 anyway, because I just couldn't get used to it. Even with bowz3r's trick, I couldn't wear it comfortably for long at all. I think the light is amazing and I love the features, but I have been wearing a Petzl for too any years, I guess, and couldn't get used to it. Hopefully the new owner will be happy with it. I ended up ordering a Petzl XP 2 to replace it, which came in the mail today and I am quite impressed. Hopefully this thread helps some owners of the ZL's to get more comfort.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Well, in the end I decided to sell the H51 anyway, because I just couldn't get used to it. Even with bowz3r's trick, I couldn't wear it comfortably for long at all. I think the light is amazing and I love the features, but I have been wearing a Petzl for too any years, I guess, and couldn't get used to it.

that's a bummer. ZL's are good lights, even if the holder and headband kind of suck. i use this DIY band and it's very comfortable. i've worn my H60 with it for hours at a time without discomfort. i tried a bunch of different headband to find something that would work for me, and this is the only setup that's really worked.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to AlphaZen --

Yes, indeed, your thread was VERY helpful and valuable to me !

(and others, too, i'm sure)

I really LOVE my ZebraLight H51, with that B0wzer strap modification. :thumbsup:

Thank you for starting this thread.

Hope your Petzel replacement serves you well.

lovecpf
_

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I could help guys. :)

I have to admit, that it took me some time to get used to using a headlamp at all, but for me, between my Spark and ZL, I find the ZL more comfortable for longer periods of time. I also tend to avoid wearing either without something on my head underneath, even just a triangle-folded bandana as a 'do-rag', so to speak. I've worn both for several hours on many occasions while camping, or working outdoors at night, etc. with no problems. Shame that you weren't able to get used to yours AZ; just another reminder that for each of us, with things like this, it's always the case that YMMV. :whistle:

markr6

Flashaholic
Resurrecting an old thread, but I just recently purchased an H502 and H51 and I gotta say THANKS FOR THIS TIP B0wz3r! After wearing my H502 last night for about 30 minutes, I had some pretty deep red dents in my forehead. I loosened it but that didn't help. Could have been a deal breaker for me and Zebralights. I was relieved I wasn't the only one and so thankful to find this tip. It's simple but I wouldn't have thought of it. Adjusting the lamp with one hand now is a bit tight, but way better than wearing an uncomfortable headband.

south_aussie_hiker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bowser, I'm another convert.

I've put up with the two red lines on my forehead and had always thought about coming up with my own solution, but hadn't got around to it.

Thought it might be hard to get the light through with the strap inside the silicon loops, but was fine.

It also means the rest of the strap and adjustments are unchanged from how ZL intended.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread - does anyone have a pic of this strap adjustment bowzer mentioned? I have one on the way and I'll need to do the same thing.

Thanks in advance!