Longest runtime for a p60 drop-in?

5370H55V

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting my dad a surefire g2 for christmas, but I'm worried that the ~1 hour runtime of the light would be considered short for an average person used to maglites that provide hours of weak yellow light. Because of that, I decided to buy a led drop-in for it also. So which drop-ins are proven to increase runtime? Reason I ask is because most of the bulbs listed in the P60 drop-in thread are focused on increasing lumen output, and most dont even list the runtime.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
G2 Nitrolon means watching the thermals. Fortunately the longer runtime options are almost always a cooler operating temp.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m60wl-warm-tint-low-output-to-fit-a-surefire-flashlight-p-34.html
Warm tint and good (4 1/2 hour) runtime.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m60ll-lowest-output-to-fit-surefire-p-9.html
Cool tint and even better runtime (8 hour) but not quite as bright as the above.

Either would serve him well and be brighter than his usual Mags.

Member Nailbender makes a great low power LED for around $30 as well.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately its very hit or miss due to current draw , battery combo .

My lowest current draw pill is 0.01A on Lo , so if you used a 2600mAh battery you would be looking at a lousy 260 hours .

I consider that drop in a freak of electronics , usually Lo is around 200mA or less , again depending on the variables .

A lot of drop-ins list current draw for each mode , but once again , to be taken with a grain of salt .
Same goes for High , but most R2's run from 1.2A to as much as 1.7A

graph-3--8u9uk6w0.jpg

Pictured is a recent runtime graph for a XR-E R2 P60 with the Xtar battery .

5370H55V

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I did already buy the g2. I would keep it and buy another g2l if I didnt have a budget on this. :p And I saw the malkoff, if I had the money for it I could have bought a better flashlight in the first place. :D So am I jumping to conclusions or does it seem like there just isnt any cheap (<$20) drop-ins that will increase runtime?

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I did already buy the g2. I would keep it and buy another g2l if I didnt have a budget on this. :p And I saw the malkoff, if I had the money for it I could have bought a better flashlight in the first place. :D So am I jumping to conclusions or does it seem like there just isnt any cheap (<$20) drop-ins that will increase runtime?

Indeed... :grin2:

look the sticky thread P60 sized led drop-ins III:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252

There are many cheaper solutions.
and..

:welcome:

Cheers,
Dioni

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hey guys you usually get what you pay for. :broke:

You can go cheaper than the Malkoff and still increase runtime, it's all about current draw. Time to start reading the specs.