Looking for 1xAA/AAA and 2xAA/AAA lanterns

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Ok this is for my mom who does not need it to be waterproof as she uses it in the home in her room. I like the 1xAA/AAA option first over the 2cell models as I can save on batteries during a power outage.

By AA/AAA I mean either AA or AAA models. Would be nice if the lantern can last more then 6hrs. The main use is in the bedroom or bathroom and the second use is to keep it on all the time in hallway by the stairs so everyone can make it down the stairs safely.

Lets see what everyone recommends. Oh....looking at most $20 budget. Ideally ~$10.00. I am in Canada so Canadian Tire/Home Depot/Lowes/Rona/Zellers/NoFrills/Loblaws/Walmart are my main stores here in Toronto. Oh..also Pacific Mall as well.

If possible when listing your recommends can you also note the pricing and website with specs?

Thank you in advance.

braddy

Enlightened
Last edited:

ajl

Newly Enlightened
I was viewing the various forum posts and noticed that web site Sears.com, searching for the item "3 Function Pop-Up Lantern" has this flashlight/lantern from some stores for less than 10 bucks, plus shipping. It uses 4 AA's. I haven't tried this particular lantern; I did purchase the Everyready Fold-Up Light Fusion lantern for three times that, and I'm happy with that model.

Another post mentions that they purchased one from Amazon for less than $10 also.

Last edited:

thinker

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to use this for power outages, run time becomes very important. You don't want to be replacing batteries a lot in the dark. Also, since it's for your mom, I'm going to assume you want it to be very simple and easy to operate.

First suggestion is the Coleman 3AA High-Tech LED Mini Lantern, about $20 through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00339C2VA/?tag=cpf0b6-20). This is very simple to use, has six brightness settings (set separately from the on/off button), and has a run time of somewhere between 75 and 200 hours on low. (I don't have this but it gets good reviews.)

Second suggestion is the UCO Claris (3xAAA), about $18 through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3SBH06/?tag=cpf0b6-20). This device can function either as a flashlight or lantern, has three brightness settings, and can run 70 hours on low. We just bought this a few days ago, and it's an amazing piece of hardware. The two biggest drawbacks are that it turns on at full brightness (which is very bright), and it may be hard to stand on its small end on a carpet (but you could stand it on its big end with fairly good effect).

Last edited:

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
make one yourself

This is what I did:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...a-lightcone-into-a-lantern-Little-DIY-project

And, if you need a flashlight, simply pull it out. :)

laterneklein008.jpg

braddy

Enlightened
Re: make one yourself

That is brilliant, it covers all the bases, including conversation piece. You really took it up a notch.