Looking for a backup flashlight that uses one 18650 cell - highest lumens possible

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Aloha to all. So now that I have my primary flashlight chosen and purchased which is the Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11 I'm looking for a backup torch to compliment the Tiny Monster. I am looking for high lumens, using only one 18650 cell. I'm not too concerned about throw or flood pattern. I would rather have a holster to carry it in so a kit that has a lanyard and matching holster would be high on my list. The UI would not be too much of a concern. Clicky and rotary switches will be considered and I would rather get something that I could buy right off the rack than something I have to order then wait, and wait, and wait. High quality is a must and I'm willing to spend up to $200 for something that would meet my requirements. You guys came through for me on my primary light. I hope you guys can help suggest my new backup light. Thanks for looking and mahalo to all.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the SC600, there's no other single 18650 light like it. with the two levels per mode, excellent runtime etc etc.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd like to possibly carry it in your front pocket as well, ... JetBeam BC25 with one of Jason's (Prometheus Dark Sucks) Ti Alpha A clips! Hosltered, I would mention the TN11 as well, however I have a problem with my TN11 and have been waiting since 1/17/2012 to hear back from ThruNite! So if you go that route, there's a great light that's one of Vinn's personal modded TN11 you can buy right now at a Great Price IMO that's listed in the Market Place. Which I'm real tempted, but I went in a different direction at the moment!

However there are a lot of great lights out there as well!

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the Zebralight and Thrunite has equal votes between them. I am leaning towards the Thrunite because of the included holster and battery tube. I'll research the suggested lights and go from there. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Looks like the Zebralight and Thrunite has equal votes between them. I am leaning towards the Thrunite because of the included holster and battery tube. I'll research the suggested lights and go from there. Thanks.

The main differences are that the TN11 is much larger than the SC600 and it throws farther due to the design of its reflector. Between the two, the SC600 is more efficient, though. To compare their outputs and runtimes, read the following comprehensive reviews:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320986
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326789

The TN11's output/runtime curve on its highest mode is a close match for that of the ThruNite Scorpion 2, which allows you to compare them directly to the SC600 in the SC600 review above.

If you want a great thrower and can accommodate a substantially larger flashlight, then the TN11 is the one that you'd want. On the other hand, if you prefer a more floody, compact flashlight with class-leading efficiency, and you don't mind the side switch, then the SC600 would be the better fit. Also have a look at the TN12 if the SC600 interests you at all:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326790

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Now it's time to get the Thrunite TN11.

TN11 holster is a joke, usable is about all. You will love the TN11...........

Jetbeam BC25 and split the difference? TN11 wont do full power with only 1 cell.

Thanks people for suggesting the TN11. I ordered one last night and it is on it's way to sunny Hawaii. I did get an extra extension tube to take advantage of the max lumens available on this light. I'm a bit leery about the UI regarding changing the light modes but I'll give it a shot. I'll let you guys know how it works out. The Tiny Monster is doing great after two months of hard use.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I got the Thrunite TN11 in the mail yesterday and was so excited to use it for last night's shift. I got it back to the office, installed my batteries and then...nothing. It didn't power up. No workie. I tried different batteries, configurations, tightened up the head, tailcap, extension tubes - nothing. I was so disappointed. So last night I posted on the TN11 review thread and Tim suggested to me to try tightening up the tailcap internal parts. Sure enough it work! I tried setting the modes and all is well. I am stoked! What a great light it is after a little bump in the road in the beginning. This forum is a great resource. All the best!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrat's on the new arrival! One strong suggestion in regards to the TN11's holster. I would take out a needle an thread, then sew the top part of the holster (where it two fabrics meet) to give it more support when holstering the light. That was the fist area of the holster to go on mine.

FYI, I asked David Chan/Thrunite (several times) if I could purchase a replacement holster and did not receive a response! So in this light, that holster you've got is the only one you'l have. However, I haven't tried it yet (although I have one. However the body has to IMO be smooth, such as if you don't use the cigar tactical ring), a Nite Ize should work.

Next light that you could look into (if you can find one in the Market Place) is a Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L. After I did a trade with one of the guys here in CPF to acquire my HD XM-L, that light is on my belt everynight!

Last edited:

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the suggestions and ideas. If/when the OEM holster breaks, I have a tailor that could help in repairs. I wouldn't mind getting a custom holster and will look into the vendor suggested.

AZPops: you know that you are corrupting me into buying another torch. :eek::p:D

Danielight

Enlightened
Looks like my recommendation is coming in a day late, but I was going to suggest:

EagleTac D25LC2 Mini - 2xCR123 / 1x18650 - 493 Lumens
- XP-G S2 Emitter
- 4 Brightness levels 5/34/187/424/493* Lumens
- OTF 3/24/131/292/343* Lumens
- 6900 LUX
- Runtime 100+/20/5/1.5 hrs
- 5 Hidden Auxiliary modes - Strobe/Flash-High/SOS/Beacon/Flash-Low
- "Twisty" Switch type
- Head Diameter .88"
- Length 4.25"
Included Accessories: Stainless Pocket Clip, Lanyard, Rigid Belt Holster* Turbo Boost for 90 Seconds

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Well looks like the TN11's holster is coming apart as you mentioned, AZPops :sly::thumbdown::mad::what::banghead:. Crap. I'll check out Thor's holsters to see what he can make for me. In the meantime, I'll get the POS factory holster repaired.

BTW AZPops, do you have a link to the Nite Ize holster that you think can work with the TN11? Thanks.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
"backup flashlight that uses one 18650 cell - highest lumens possible"
You are using your backup flashlight when your primary light is down.
Highest lumens possible means short runtime and often too hot to hold in 5 minutes. You need a light that can get you home, both battery runtime wise, and not too hot to hold. Check how difficult to get to medium level.

Also consider a battery case and spare batteries for the TM11.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm realizing that the TN11's UI is not as user friendly when it comes to choosing different modes quickly. The NiteCore Tiny Monster can change modes quickly and easily. The highest output on the Thrunite TN11 doesn't get really hot which is nice. I do have extra batteries and have them readily available in my EDC backpack.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi Mauiblue.

I just read this thread and I couldn't resist adding my bit.
One of my absolute favorite EDC's, superb quality, rock-solid, only ever gets warm at best, dead-simple UI, 1000 lumens strong, well under your budget (which leaves you change to get a good holster). And did I mention how damned bright this thing is!

The Elektrolumens EDC XML.

I have heaps of torches, but this one always brings out a smile in me and a WOW in others.

Delivery doesn't take too long either.

If I had to pick another torch, I would also suggest having a look at the Sunwayman T20CS. Awesome little torch for the price, great quality and a tough little torch. Plenty of spill, tons of throw, the side-button is great and the runtime is fantastic.

Last edited: