Looking for a flashlight for self defense in case of home intrusion

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight Strion 74300 is tail cap activated light where you click or lightly press to learn if it's a prowler or not.

Puts out a blinding light without blinding you in a typical bedroom.
If it turns out to be an unfriendly two quick clicks gets you strobe.
If you decide to use it for other purposes a click n hold gets you lower levels of brightness.

It always starts on high from off.

It's rechargeable battery can be topped off from time to time, yet holds a charge for months at a time.

Available online, or at batteries plus or nearly any cop stuff store.

Last edited:

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. :)

I wasn't too sure on what exactly what you meant with that one sentence and I just wanted to throw in my take on that issue for anyone who gets told the (often repeated unfortunately) myth that burglars (occupied dwellings) and home invaders are not usually armed.
Was more an acknowledgement that it really is likely that you'll never encounter an armed intruder in your life, but chances and stats stop mattering when you've got a gun pointed at you in your own hallway... It's important to approach any situations as if you're facing an armed intruder (or multiple), whether you yourself are armed or not.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Lots of common sense posted in this thread - I would like to thank my fellow members for such. :thumbsup:

These are often challenging threads - sort of like: "I'm driving my car across the country & would like to be prepared for mechanical breakdowns; what wrench should I take?" :)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few weeks ago, I completed a few strobe tests on myself, using my highest powered lights with the feature. I had previously completed constant-on tests and none of them caused nothing more than a need to squint. They did totally obscure the object the light was sitting on, and therefore would do the same for a person holding them.

Over a series of nights, with the light at eye height and a distance of 12 feet, I subjected my mostly night adapted eyes to:

Elzetta Charlie w/ AVS Spot Head and high/strobe tailcap - 900 lumens
Elzetta Charlie w/ AVS Flood Head and high/strobe tailcap - 900 lumens
Elzetta Charlie w/ Malkoff M61SHO drop-in and high/strobe tailcap - 450 lumens
Oveready Pocket Wasp head XP-L Triple w/ narrow clear optic - ~3000 lumens
FourSevens Quark QT2L-X - 780 lumens

None of them caused discomfort, disorientation, nausea, or any other negative affect. I could have stood there staring at them until I got bored.

Surprisingly, the least effective were the Elzettas. Slightly more effective was the Oveready Wasp head, likely due to the massive lumen count. The Quark made it most difficult of them all to identify items within the room, but I was quite comfortable looking at it and the room's light colored walls.

If you really want to put the hurt on an intruder's pupils, you'll need super-thrower levels of lux. You won't want it to deliver a pencil thin beam, since it would need to be precisely aimed.

Thanks for the self sacrifice.

I kinda found many of my strobers annoying at best, disco light at worst... until the PK Warrior II arrived.

First use I aimed it at the ceiling one afternoon near my wife. I asked "do you feel queezy?" to which she answered "yes please stop".

Later as she just happened to be leaving a darkened room, again I strobed the ceiling of the next room. BUMP! She walked into the door jam. Oops!!!! Sorry dear.

So the next few evenings I'd strobe the ceiling as the kids approached door ways. BUMP!! everytime.

I don't know what PK did to his version that differs from the regular PowerTac line up, but in our house we found their lights do not cause the effects of the strobe like that PK tweaked one.

Perhaps it's the 1000 lumens? PK's past efforts leads me to believe he did something different than the others.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home defense is a topic that goes well beyond flashlights, though a good flashlight is a part of it. I just wanted to say that a flashlight should not be relied on by itself to protect you just because you have it sitting on your night stand.....just like owning a gun, by itself will not protect you. And if anyone thinks that a blinking strobe is a talisman that banishes bad guys, they are only fooling themselves. BTW, I would never even think about using a strobe in conjunction with a firearm....way too dangerous not being able to watch the subjects hands and being able to positively identify a "intruder" quickly. Again just my 2 cents.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
Home defense is a topic that goes well beyond flashlights, though a good flashlight is a part of it. I just wanted to say that a flashlight should not be relied on by itself to protect you just because you have it sitting on your night stand.....just like owning a gun, by itself will not protect you. And if anyone thinks that a blinking strobe is a talisman that banishes bad guys, they are only fooling themselves. BTW, I would never even think about using a strobe in conjunction with a firearm....way too dangerous not being able to watch the subjects hands and being able to positively identify a "intruder" quickly. Again just my 2 cents.
Agree completely. Strobe has more cons than pros, in my experience.

It's distracting, it can dramatically lengthen your reaction time. At least it does mine.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I have a Thrunight TN4A on the nightstand. It puts out 1150 lumens in strobe. I've had my wife hold the light outdoors and shine it on me using the strobe. All I can see are little stars of light shooting all around me. Everything else is entirely blacked out. It kinda changed my mind about the utility of strobe as a defensive feature on a light. It seems very effective and disorienting.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a gun and currently don't want a gun. That said, anybody who wants a gun in America can get a gun and I'm good. That said, I'm happy with the benefits of a strobe and bear spray.

arniewannabe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again to everyone who has replied. I am resided in EU and the laws in my country are very strict regarding keeping guns at home and of course using them.
My personal opinion is that having a gun at home is a rather complicated matter and i am not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Back to the flashlights, i am still a little confused about what to buy. I have found a good price for a second hand Nitecore TM16GT but i am not sure if i want to pay that much and if it is the best option for using it indoors.
@Parrot Quack i would really appreciate it IF you could spare some (more) minutes and provide some more info about the TM16GT as well as the EC4S. (Thanks in advance)

What worries me is that (i think) the TM16GT lights up the whole are pretty much, especially on Turbo mode. Therefore it will be giving away my position, maybe?

arniewannabe

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy to and I'll try. What questions do you have?
Hi there @Parrot Quack!Thanks again for being so helpful.I have some questions for you:1) Do you think the TM16GT is overkill for use inside the house?2) My objective is to temporarily blind/neutralize potential intruders so that to gain precious time in order to avoid physical confrontation. Best case scenario: Intruders pack and leave. Which flashlight would you choose?3) Do both flashlights start in turbo/strobe modes with one handed operation? Which one is easier to control (after being awoken in the middle of the night)?4) Let's assume that I use one of the flashlights and shine it on an intruders face from a distance of about three meters. Will he be able to see me behind the "wall of light"?5) Do you think the TM16GT is so powerful that it might may as well blind me if it shines on a flat reflective surface?6) What about strobe? What is the frequency? Is strobe better than turbo for my purpose?7) Have you ever had to use any of your flashlights for self defense? Did it work out for you?Thanks a lot in advance.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there @Parrot Quack!Thanks again for being so helpful.I have some questions for you:1) Do you think the TM16GT is overkill for use inside the house?2) My objective is to temporarily blind/neutralize potential intruders so that to gain precious time in order to avoid physical confrontation. Best case scenario: Intruders pack and leave. Which flashlight would you choose?3) Do both flashlights start in turbo/strobe modes with one handed operation? Which one is easier to control (after being awoken in the middle of the night)?4) Let's assume that I use one of the flashlights and shine it on an intruders face from a distance of about three meters. Will he be able to see me behind the "wall of light"?5) Do you think the TM16GT is so powerful that it might may as well blind me if it shines on a flat reflective surface?6) What about strobe? What is the frequency? Is strobe better than turbo for my purpose?7) Have you ever had to use any of your flashlights for self defense? Did it work out for you?Thanks a lot in advance.

Both are good lights. The button that controls turning on high is the same for both lights and the button that turns on high, also (using a double click) turns on the strobe. At three meters, despite what some have written, whomever the TM16GT light is turned on, if at night and turned on in turbo, there's zero chance the individual won't be temporarily blinded. It's how the eyes work.

In response to question one. The TM16GT isn't overkill although it is a very bright light. You have to decide if it's too bright for you or not. Me? I've used it inside and yes, when I turn it off, I go black for a couple of seconds. Whomever is being shown the light, their eyes will have blacked for a minute or two.

As to question two, that again is going depend on the forcefulness of your response. Hence why I suggest the Bear Spray. Someone gets blasted with Bear Spray, they're going want to pack and leave as fast as they can. I have both lights. I have at my bedside, the Nitecore EC4S. I have the TM16GT by the front door. I have an aluminum ball bat nearby the bedside. My concern is if I'll wake up fast enough and will I be ready for combat should the time arrive.

Question three. Yes, use the mode switch and with one hand, you can control the light; solid or flashing. They are both easy to control and as you use each of the lights, the interface becomes easier and easier to find and use.

Question four. No, the intruder will not be able to see you. They will be immediately blinded and if the light is turned off, their vision will go black. Yes, if reflected back into your eyes, both lights will cause you temporary blindness. As you use the light, you'll get a feel for what and how you can aim the light without causing yourself blindness.

I don't know what the frequency is but it's sufficiently fast that you can see with the strobe on and fast enough to cause your assailant pause.

Accidentally, I have blinded love ones and I'm sharing their comments with you. No, I haven't found need to use the light in a defensive posture but from personal experience, I do know that I don't have to worry about the other guy if using either of my lights for personal self-defense. Backup the light with Bear Spray and I'll consider both of us, golden.

Overall, I'm very happy with both lights (TM16GT and EC4S) and see these two lights as a tightly created pair.

Last edited:

arniewannabe

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Parrot Quack for taking the time. You were again most helpful. It is time for me to decide.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Bear spray seems like a great idea. I've got the whole range of options, but I feel like I live in a safe enough area. Despite what the law may allow, I don't want to feel like I have to respond with more force than I'm being confronted with. (I live alone, and I'm sure I would feel differently if there were others in the house, especially ankle biters).

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use lights to see with, and other things to protect ourselves and our loved ones. You need "other things".

You'd be surprised how effective bear spray is at three or four meters and in the meantime, I don't have to carry the guilt of killing someone for being so stupid, breaking into our home. Just saying, they may want to kill me but that doesn't mean I have to kill them.

Last edited:

arniewannabe

Newly Enlightened
We use lights to see with, and other things to protect ourselves and our loved ones. You need "other things".

Totally understand your point of view. However, this thread is about flashlights and the use of light as a means of defense.

matt4350

Enlightened
Just another light to consider, but you could look at Eagtac. I've got an SX25L2, goes to strobe with a double-press, and it's plenty bright to blind someone in a dark environment. There's a turbo head you can get, which will give a more intense beam if you want it. I'm not saying it's better than any other light, but I like mine.

I am yet to be convinced strobe is more effective than a constant beam if you're trying to avoid confrontation. Others may have a different experience.