Looking for a good lantern for power outages...

EDCinDET

Newly Enlightened
I'm in need of a good lantern for when the power goes out at the house. I have been searching older threads on this subject here but I'm wondering what's the newest and best at this time? I'm liking the idea of AA's since we always have an abundance around the house and if need be we could scavenge from items around the house, remote controls, kids toys etc. Although I wouldn't be opposed to another size of battery.

Not really sure about the features like the hand crank or anything, from what I hear those usually break. So far I've considered the Energizer Folding Lantern 4-8AA, and the Rayovac Sportsman that takes 3D's

So what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
In this power outage thread, a number of lanterns are reviewed, and beam shots are supplied.

IIRC zespectre reviewed and liked that energizer lantern, and a number of people like that rayovac sportsman, StarHalo and others like the warm Favourlight

Overall, though I believe that the consensus for indoors is that a ceiling bounced flashlight is better than a lantern. Lanterns are good outdoors, but not as good indoors.

Last edited:

EDCinDET

Newly Enlightened
In this power outage thread, a number of lanterns are reviewed, and beam shots are supplied.

IIRC zespectre reviewed and liked that energizer lantern, and a number of people like that rayovac sportsman, StarHalo and others like the warm Favourlight

Thanks for that link. I didn't even think of the flashlight for power outages. Would you recommend a diffuser tip for that? Or just tail standing? I've been trying to figure out what those tips are used for.

Overall, though I believe that the consensus for indoors is that a ceiling bounced flashlight is better than a lantern. Lanterns are good outdoors, but not as good indoors.

Is that what those diffuser tips are for? Do they make one for the Nitecore P12?

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened

I have and like the favourlights- the little AA warm one and the higher ouput one as well. I dont agree that a ceiling bounced flashlight is necessarily better. They warm up pretty quick, and sometimes the purpose built lantern is more efficient.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You'll find most flashaholics prefer a ceiling-bounced flashlight over a lantern, since you can choose from the wide world of awesome flashlights that are available and there's no glare to deal with. But if you are set on using a lantern, I would +1 the above recommendation for the warm Favourlight (found on Amazon as "Cree 40426", I would provide a link but it's not allowed in this section.) The warm emitter makes for a cozy and welcoming area light that's a nice boost to morale..

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a couple of fluorescent lanterns, one is a cool white, the other a warmer white. I think that the cool white is good for use in the kitchen (like while handling knives), but the warmer white is much better for sitting and chatting.

During a power outage, I don't run any of my lights on their max output, none of them heat up too much, or too quickly.

I found that my TK35 ceiling bounced set at 350 lumens lit the kitchen up better than my 800 lumen cool white fluorescent lamp.

Yes, that's what those diffuser tips are for.

tonijedi

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of fluorescent lanterns, one is a cool white, the other a warmer white. I think that the cool white is good for use in the kitchen (like while handling knives), but the warmer white is much better for sitting and chatting.
I use the same way of thinking for the light bulbs. Kitchen and bathroom have cool white bulbs, the other rooms have warmer lights.

KayakerA

Newly Enlightened
Besides all the flashlight options you might consider a solar powered lantern that sits in the window sill all the time until needed.

Ladp.1

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased several led lanterns over the past few years for emergency lighting. The first was a Kelty 3D cell job a few years ago and hated the color and light pattern. Then I tried a Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 3D and that's a good lantern. I've given several of these away.....but it uses D cells and I don't like that much. Would rather use Eneloops. So, I bought a Rayovac 3aa 65 lumen lantern since I liked the big one but I found it very disappointing. Bad blue light and pretty dim. Then I tried a Black Diamond Apollo 4aa. It's nice but the tint is still too cool for me and it doesn't seem to run as long as advertised and then just shuts off with no warning. I also have a couple of the Cree 110 lumen warm white lanterns. These are nice. I love the warm color for a lantern but don't like the PWM on low.

So now I have an unusual suggestion for you. I have a Nitecore EA4w and a Sunwayman D40a neutral version. A few weeks ago I tail stood the EA4w and took the removable lens/reflector off of Rayovac 3aa lantern and it sits quite perfectly on top of the EA4w or the D40a. This setup gives me a nice tint, even beam pattern, long run times at decent levels, and can be far brighter than any other lantern I've seen for shorter durations. Works great for me! If you already have one of those lights, the Rayovac lantern is cheap....because it kind of stinks :D

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent thread Poppy! Thank you.

I also use the Solarforce P60 adapter type lantern that screws onto the bezel end. I run it on 18650's with a Malkoff M61LLL drop in. Also good, old fashioned hurricane oil lamps and candles.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Excellent thread Poppy! Thank you.

I also use the Solarforce P60 adapter type lantern that screws onto the bezel end. I run it on 18650's with a Malkoff M61LLL drop in. Also good, old fashioned hurricane oil lamps and candles.

:)
Thank You RI Chevy :)

There is an incredible amount of knowledge on this site.

Have you seen and tried the diffuser that reppans has posted about?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm in need of a good lantern for when the power goes out at the house. I have been searching older threads on this subject here but I'm wondering what's the newest and best at this time? I'm liking the idea of AA's since we always have an abundance around the house and if need be we could scavenge from items around the house, remote controls, kids toys etc. Although I wouldn't be opposed to another size of battery.

Not really sure about the features like the hand crank or anything, from what I hear those usually break. So far I've considered the Energizer Folding Lantern 4-8AA, and the Rayovac Sportsman that takes 3D's

So what do you guys recommend?

I'm a big fan of Energizer's 4-D cell folding lanterns (both the LED, and the fluorescent versions).

Not the latest & greatest out there. But easily available at many hardware stores and at Target. Plus, it's been out long enough to be a proven design.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight has a new lantern out - the "Siege" model. That's on my short list to buy.

Although considering my collection of LLL and LLLL modules, I should probably buy a Solarforce lantern and light rig as well. :D

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
What about this option...Petromax HK500....
OK....it is on Kerosene or Paraffin oil, but this can be an advantage...

Last edited: