Looking for a great mid-sized flood

grifter182

Newly Enlightened
**UPDATED BELOW**

Hey all.

New here, and after a home torch that could light up the street.

Don't really care about the price. Just want a proven, reliable torch that will impress.

Thanks everybody.

I'm new to this and the choice seems overbearing!

Without any actual stores nearby to test or get a feel for any flashlights, it seems like I will have to go through a lot of flashlights to find out what I actually like.

Is this the usual process?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to 400

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches) to
LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

I'll keep this inside my house, but I want to be able to walk around with it in one hand.

5) Emitter/Light source:

I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

Either of these two:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

I'd like to light up an entire area outside my apartment from the balcony.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Water resistance

IPX4 (Splash resistant)
Don't want it to break in the rain

16) Storage conditions

In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
(Might take it camping on rare occasions)

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New to EDC

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Your question isn't really specific enough, it's a bit like saying I want a car, what should I buy!

It will be of great help if you fill in the questioner, in the below link, and then paste the questions and answers into your original post.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated-MK-II

There are loads of options regarding size, battery type, flood, throw, number of lumens, number of modes and of course price!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened

Hey all.

New here.

Looking to get an amazing ECD torch, and a huge one for home that can light up the street!

Hey all!

Don't really care about the price. Just want a proven, reliable torch that will impress.

Thanks everybody.

Without any actual stores nearby to test or get a feel for any flashlights, it seems like I will have to go through a lot of flashlights to find out what I actually like.

+1 to what Dave D has said, your requests are a bit vague. Fill out the form for each required light and you'll get some results that will suit you better. It's all overwhelming, so to get you started while you fill out that form, I will list some EDC suggestions with what I would look for in this format:

EDC: Requirements- Small, lightweight, carried on person or keys.
Run on AAA format due to size and availability, provide better runtime than coin-cell lights.
Good pocket clip and/or good key-chain attachment.
Low and high modes, if not L>M>H modes- Med/high mode first kills your night vision, but Low mode is a pain to cycle through if you mostly use your light on high/med.

Examples (not all will fit the above 100%):

Peak Eiger - Not the brightest, but highly regarded for being reliable. Made in USA if that floats your boat. Available in Al, Cu, Brass, SS. QTC mechanism is a bit unrefined but allows for very efficient low low output.
Olight i3S - Pretty good value, fairly typical of the AAA market.
CountyComm Maratac - Available in Copper or Stainless steel if you fancy something a bit different.
Foursevens Preon
Foursevens Atom - Pure floodlight, no 'throw' but nice for working on stuff close-up.
Klarus Mi series - couple of different lights, available in SS or Al.
Tank007 E09 - Budget, value for money light, available in different colours.
Promethius Beta QR - Quick Release key-chain attachment.

AA or CR123 format lights also are available from most of the above manufacturers, if you want longer runtime at the expense of portability.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nip into Wally world and find the brightest light they have on offer or better still look on the flea you can buy multi thousand lumen lights on there from China where most are made in the first place.

If you are trying to impress i suggest you check the by laws where you live as upsetting your neighbours is not a wise move in the 2014 suing environment we seem to live in.

Poppy

Flashaholic

The last time I brought a flashlight to impress, it was to a boy scout camping trip, and I didn't want my grandkids to be outdone. Just in case a bunch of kids sat around the campfire at night measuring distance, ahem. Actually it ended up that the kids went to bed early, and it was primarily adults around the campfire.

However when the assistant scout master walked 100 feet away and asked for one of us to shine a light for him (from where we were around the fire) I hit the area in front of him with such a bright beam, that he obviously reacted to it. It was a bit of a surprise. I heard somebody say... wow! Honestly, I was a little embarrassed (as though I was over compensating for other short comings).

For the most part, Joe-Public hasn't caught up to today's technology yet, and just about any 18650 light, or 4-8 AA cell powered light will impress.

When I first came here, I was looking for a wooded area search and rescue light. I thought I would be a BIG spender, and go with a $50 budget. Between light, batteries and charger I spent about $350.

Realisticly, what is your budget?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good story. poppy. What was the light?

The last light I bought to impress people was a Maratac copper 123 modded by Vinh with a new driver and emitter. Small, copper and very bright. One mode and relatively short runtime on an IMR 16340. It still impresses people.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened

Hey all.

New here.

Looking to get an amazing ECD torch, and a huge one for home that can light up the street!

Hey all!

Thanks everybody.

Hey All!!! lol

You may want to start with a Fenix MTG2.

Get a holster for it and rule the Wild West......!

Poppy

Flashaholic

Good story. poppy. What was the light?

The last light I bought to impress people was a Maratac copper 123 modded by Vinh with a new driver and emitter. Small, copper and very bright. One mode and relatively short runtime on an IMR 16340. It still impresses people.

Hi yoyoman,
My first light was a Thrunite TN30 with 8 - 18650 Eagletac 3400s @ $20 each, and a WP6-II charger.
I brought it just in case we had to SAR some kid, but left it in the car.

The thrower was just a unmodified Defiant 3C Super Thrower. I power it with a single 18650 with a spacer. With dark adapted eyes, and the light reflecting off of the shelter he was walking to, even I was surprised :eek: And like I said, a little embarrassed :ohgeez:.

Yes, my friend, I'll bet that little Vinh modded maratac pocket rocket, hand warmer, piece of jewelry, really impresses :thumbsup:
Which emitter? and how hard did he push it?

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, poppy, XP-G2 and I'm guessing over 2 amps. I bought all 3 (AAA, AA and 123) and had them sent directly to Vinh. He just swapped emitters in the little guys, but he went Frankenstein on the 123. Vinh sent them to Switzerland with a reasonable declared value. I love them all, but I take the 123 when I want to impress someone with a pocket rocket.

grifter182

Newly Enlightened

Thanks heaps guys!

Lots of great help. Here's my torch wish profile:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to 400

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches) to
LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

I'll keep this inside my house, but I want to be able to walk around with it in one hand.

5) Emitter/Light source:

I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

Either of these two:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Any size switch will do.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care.

15) Water resistance

IPX4 (Splash resistant)
Don't want it to break in the rain

16) Storage conditions

In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
(Might take it camping on rare occasions)

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check out the Malkoff Devices website, they have both the Hound Dog and the Wildcat.

The Hound Dog is more for throw with 1000 lumens.

Review here http://flashlightguide.com/2014/04/review-malkoff-hound-dog-v3/#more-2575

The Wildcat is more for flood with 1400 lumens.

Review here http://flashlightguide.com/2014/03/review-malkoff-wildcat-v5/#more-2459

If you loosen the head of both of these then they go to a lower output of about 100 lumens.

When you buy from the Malkoff site you are only getting the heads of the flashlights so you will need to buy one of their separate bodies (which include the switch). The MD4 body will work with both the Hound Dog and the Wildcat, it accepts 2 x 18650 rechargeable batteries.

If you were to buy both the Hound Dog and the Wildcat plus 2 MD4 bodies you would still be under your $400 budget.

Poppy

Flashaholic

These lights will give you an idea of what is available.

The edge of the road is 30 yards, and the tree in the background is 100 yards.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650-4xCR123A)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385451

You said...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you define the dimensions of the area you want to light, and how far away the light will be then MAYBE we can make a specific recommendation. If you look at the reviews I linked to above, you can see that some lights can throw a tighter beam of light further, (than what you are asking for) and others can put a lot of light out to the sides (more floody) but don't reach as far.

radiopej

Enlightened

Hmm, how about the Fenix TK75 or RC40. You could get them modified from Vinh and they'll be even brighter.

The RC40 is rechargeable and brighter.

grifter182

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, as for distance I'm thinking 30-50 meters or so?

Perhaps this is impossible for a flood light though?

Really appreciate all the replies.

And wow, that FENIX RC40 looks incredible...

Last edited:

grifter182

Newly Enlightened

(Bit new to this, but who is VIHN, and what sort of mods does a torch need?)

The Niwalker MM15 looks amazing. So far I think that's my favourite. I'm guessing it's reliable and easy to use for someones first torch?

THANKS!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

The UI on the mm15 is not the best,however newer edition is improved apparently. The 1st edition reset to low and ramped up the levels when holding the power,now it carries on from where you are up to(good/bad i dont know,guess its down to individual preferences).

If your going to get into li ion cells(18650) then its worth a search on here regarding use/safety and of course a decent charger and cells(not *******fire stuff).
Xtar and nitecore do good chargers........again worth looking into reviews by HKJ:thumbsup:

Lights wise the mm15vn is a great light,very floody and over 7000lm,this requires IMR cells to get the best performance. Also turbo can only be used for short periods,so majority of time you will be around the 2000lm end to prevent it getting too warm/hot.

The tk75vn is an awesome all round light,the KT(Killer Throw version) is a fav on here.

I would be tempted to look into the K40Mvn, mtg2 which has great colour rendition and awesome output. A very good all round light,good throw and flood so of great use for many applications. Also has a lower mode than the tk75vn for example,jmpaul has measured a fraction under 4000lm:cool:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385992-K40Mvn-(Must-Have)

But its not what i would call an EDC ,some peeps do use larger lights as EDCs but ideally you want a small light that you dont really know is there imo.

Have a look at the d25cvn light,very nice,run on IMR 16340 cell, nice ti and very compact with great output and good UI.

So ideally small one on you,larger for specific uses as it may get tiresome carrying a 3 or 4 cell light around(depending on choice) as an EDC.

Vinh is a fantastic modder,great customer service and a great guy too,cant go wrong with his lights:thumbsup:

Just do some research again as not like a normal light,these are bumped/beefed up,very high output so need to be treated with respect . Not left unsupervised or handed to anyone who does not know about them or understand high output lights. :)

grifter182

Newly Enlightened

If your going to get into li ion cells(18650) then its worth a search on here regarding use/safety and of course a decent charger and cells(not *******fire stuff).
Xtar and nitecore do good chargers........again worth looking into reviews by HKJ:thumbsup:

Ah, so it doesn't come with batteries? I really need to do some research as didn't know they could be dangerous? Why is this?
And are 18650 the only dangerous batteries?

Lights wise the mm15vn is a great light,very floody and over 7000lm,this requires IMR cells to get the best performance. Also turbo can only be used for short periods,so majority of time you will be around the 2000lm end to prevent it getting too warm/hot.

It does look very cool. But maybe it's not great for a first time user with these rather advanced sounding batteries?

Too hot as in, it will burn your hand, or damage the product?

The tk75vn is an awesome all round light,the KT(Killer Throw version) is a fav on here.

I would be tempted to look into the K40Mvn, mtg2 which has great colour rendition and awesome output. A very good all round light,good throw and flood so of great use for many applications. Also has a lower mode than the tk75vn for example,jmpaul has measured a fraction under 4000lm:cool:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385992-K40Mvn-(Must-Have)

But its not what i would call an EDC ,some peeps do use larger lights as EDCs but ideally you want a small light that you dont really know is there imo.

I'm not actually after an EDC. Just a great "flood" light for home use. I'll check this one out for SURE!

Not left unsupervised or handed to anyone who does not know about them or understand high output lights. :)

That sounds like me!

Thank you so much for your help! Looks like I've got a load of research. As I didn't even know they could be dangerous? (Is there a good link on safety?)

THANKS AGAIN!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Hi Grifter,having a bit of trouble here with busy server,(hopefully this will post) .

Have a search on here "li ion safety" etc and check battery university out,no need to go too deep but general safety/use. Not leaving unatended whilst charging,avoiding cheap chinese items,over discharging,over charging etc .

High output lights can get very hot,always go off heat in hand,so once getting uncomfortable then knock down or off(dont leave tail standing in a corner of a room for example on turbo)

Yes to both,too hot and burn hand and potentially damage light.

Have a look at vinhs d40avn, runs off 4x AA cells(eneloop a good option) and has a very strong following.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0Avn-Compact-AA-Lumen-Monster-4-4A-1480-Lumen

Can use with a diffuser for flood and easier to carry around do to far more compact size. Even if you had the tk75 and k40m etc etc you may find your "go to light" would still be a d40a for convenience and enough output for most tasks and some:thumbsup:

Again just have a read up, see which suits your needs best;)