Looking for a Hunting Light

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light for Deer/Hog hunting (I am fully aware that deer hunting is not allowed by flashlight, but tracking blood trails is, and pretty much all bets are off when it comes to hogs). I've got the questionnaire below, but one consideration is that I'd like something that could possibly be mounted on a Remington 700/Model 7 (seems like most mounting brackets are for AR styles, but I see there is a magnetic). I don't know much about flashlights (I have a little Olight on my keychain) so feel free to correct any of the choices I've made below. Thanks in advance

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
_x_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
_x_Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

_x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
_x__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

_x_LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

_x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_x__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
_x__I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
_x__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
_x__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

Would like option to use rechargeables or Alkalines in a pinch

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
_x__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_x__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x_90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

_x__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
_x__I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
_x__I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
_x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
_x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
_x___I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
_x__I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
___x_Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
_x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

stienke

Enlightened
Nitecore SRT7 , very bright and blue leds for tracking blood and red for nightvision , if the colored leds have not enough puns for your need you can add a red/blue filter on the bezel for brighter colors.

Buy a charger en a pair of good 18650's and you are ready to go!

Good luck with your search,

GJR

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
Slight revision. Apparently in that jurisdiction, lights are fine, lights on a gun aren't. So that is off the listif requirements, as I have no other use for a gun light

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore SRT7 , very bright and blue leds for tracking blood and red for nightvision , if the colored leds have not enough puns for your need you can add a red/blue filter on the bezel for brighter colors.

Buy a charger en a pair of good 18650's and you are ready to go!

Good luck with your search,

GJR
Thanks! That looks close to perfect

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Slight revision. Apparently in that jurisdiction, lights are fine, lights on a gun aren't. So that is off the listif requirements, as I have no other use for a gun light
Well this changes everything. Have you considered a headlamp? I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I can tell you having both hands free is a huge asset.

kevind43

Newly Enlightened
Stay away from filters they kill 50-75% of the light output. Color led's are the way to go for night hunting. Brighter is better...being able to identify your target AND what's behind it is very important for nighttime hunting. Most hog hunters prefer green. Most predator hunters prefer red. I would personally go with one of the custom light builders for a hunting light. Very few off the shelf lights perform well in a hunting situation. I am strictly talking red or green lights. White is a different story many, many white lights throw far enough for sensible hunting ranges. The dereelight nightmaster red or green is adequate for most hunting situations. The only thing i don't like, is the user interface is a little tricky for hunting situations. hope this helps.

Last edited:

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
Well this changes everything. Have you considered a headlamp? I do a lot of outdoor stuff and I can tell you having both hands free is a huge asset.
That's a thought too. What we did last year was have one guy hold the light ehe the other shot. Worked pres
tty well (we each got a couple)

Knight_Light

Enlightened
That's a thought too. What we did last year was have one guy hold the light ehe the other shot. Worked pres
tty well (we each got a couple)
If you have a buddy that will work well probably even better then the headlamp but after you make the shot a headlamp is hands down better.

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
So doing a little digging, I think I'm going to give the Srt7 a try. If I may,a couple follow ups on batteries

I need a quick schooling on rechargeable 18650's:
1. I assume bigger is better, but I also see that dimensions aren't consistent. Will this hold 3400s?
2. I've seen a number of threads and mostly just feel confused. Just tell me what to buy
3. Do I need protection circuitry? I'm more concerned about size than price.
4. For my camera gear (flash in particular) I've switched to enrloop/immedion die to their low self discharge and being able to go after months off the charger. Are 18650's going to be similar in that regard? All my stuff with Li-ion batteries is used constantly, so I don't know about longer term storage
5 decent charger that won't break the bank or burn down the house?

Many thanks!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure the 18650 batteries you purchase are "button top" and not "flat top". There is a raised section where the battery contacts the head to prevent reverse polarity protection.
muqabu9y.jpg

As far as lithium ion battery storage they hold their charge for quite a while. i would top the charge off after 6 months before i headed out into the woods though.I think if you are only going to use the light every six months or so, consider disposable CR123 batteries also.

darkshot

Newly Enlightened
Armytek offers a Predator V2.5 with green XP-E emitter. They claim 250 yards throw on it.

DMS1970

Enlightened
To the original post, I would say, don't try to blood trail with a light attached to the gun! For tracking/trailing I find the Zebralight H600 headlamp is awesome. Can use on a head strap or hold. I have not tried the floody version, but would like to see one. It is also great when you find your animal, you can clip the light on your shirt for the drag out.

bassopotamus

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE and a bit of a review:

Thanks to all who offered advice before.I am a flashlight noob (only other decent light is a little Olight i3s on my keychain), and this was a pretty major purchase for me. I picked up a Nitecore SRT7 bundle on amazon, that included a nitecore branded battery and charger for less than most places were selling just the light. On the whole, I am quite impressed with the light. one of the guys I hunt with is a gear snob and always knocks whatever you have, but admitted that his light (something fairly generic) was bested by mine. this is a momentous occasion to be sure.

Hunt was a bust on the whole. Lots of deer, not many hogs, but nothing really close enough to shoot (Lots of does at 250+ yards). Used it to look for hogs at night (no luck, they just weren't there), but was impressed by how well it lit up deer eyes at least (out to at least 350 yards). Note: night hunting of deer is illegal just about everywhere, we weren't doing it, and the light didn't give enough light to take a shot at that kind of distance even if you wanted to.

Quick Review of the SRT7
Pros:
960 Lumens is a ton of bright
Pattern for the white light is outstanding (nice and even, good hotspot with some spill, which seems to be a useful configuration).
SRT control ring is easy to use and intuitive.
More or less infinite dimmer makes it easy to get the right level.
Tail stands well enough
Lights up a bunk room enough to read by at less than half power while tail standing (this came in really handy)
Seems well built, but I didn't do anything to test it.

Cons
The color modes are pretty bad. Little power, no adjustability, and the patterns are quite poor. They look more or less like a Venn diagram, which is really distracting, especially when projected onto grass/brush.
The order of the modes is kind of odd. The white light, is sort of in the middle. I'd really rather have it at full clockwise or full counter clockwise. Instead, it is bookended by the color modes and the strobe.
18650 batteries are kind of a bear to get, and as Lou mentions above, you need a good button top to make contact. My bundle came with one battery, and I wanted to get a second. Basically, first order shipped direct from Hong Kong has been delayed in transit by more than a month. Second attempted batteries turned out to not have enough button top to work, and have been returned. Ended up with a nitecore branded second because I knew it would fit, and I could get one fast, but they are pretty expensive. None of this is an issue for people who are already set up with 18650s, but it was a hassle to get going. The other concern would be using someplace off the beaten path. We were probably 100 miles from any store besides a WalMart or Dollar General, so I'd had a charger fail or something, I would have been out of luck. Not to be over dramatic in my case (we had trucks and ATVs and whatnot, a failed light wasn't going to kill anybody), but I think for roughing it something with AAs might be more practical.

Bottom line- fantastic light, and a keeper, though if I had it to do again, I would probably get an SRT6 (nearly as bright, a little cheaper, only loses the useless color modes) or look a little harder at some of the high lumen AA lights out there.