looking for a light bulb to use as small heater powered by 12VDC

pjoseph24

Newly Enlightened
I wanted to see if there was a 12VDC light that i could use as a small heater.

I want to use it to heat up a small nitro engine used in a rc nitro monster truck. i was thinking of mounting the bulb inside of a metal tube about the size of a standard soda can, which will slide over the nitro engine heat sink, ideally I would like to get the nitro engine close to 200 degrees F.

any ideas on a bulb that could accomplish this would be appreciated

thanks

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got 12v already, maybe hack a heating element in there? A spare car cigarette lighter plug will yield quite a bit of heater element coil.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to see if there was a 12VDC light that i could use as a small heater.

I want to use it to heat up a small nitro engine used in a rc nitro monster truck. i was thinking of mounting the bulb inside of a metal tube about the size of a standard soda can, which will slide over the nitro engine heat sink, ideally I would like to get the nitro engine close to 200 degrees F.

any ideas on a bulb that could accomplish this would be appreciated

thanks
Still in break in mode, on first gallon?

I use a heat gun when near 110v.

I have broken in ABC in cold of winter doing that.

Otherwise you'll need halogen or better or it'll never warm internally.
What engine is it?

If in a pinch, set under your cars exhaust pipe and let blow idled exhaust at it. Or a friend's car, just don't forget she's there unless it's a savage or something, then hopefully you've a spare tire. ☺

pjoseph24

Newly Enlightened
Yes i have the 12VDC batteries already, for the most part i do not have access to 120VAC where i run.
engine is an os 18tz.

would the bulb in the link below work? If yes do i solder the wires directly to the two leads coming out of the bulb or will that dmage it? or is there some kind of holder i need as well for the bulb?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKLRVQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

thanks again

dss_777

Enlightened
Yes i have the 12VDC batteries already, for the most part i do not have access to 120VAC where i run.
engine is an os 18tz.

would the bulb in the link below work? If yes do i solder the wires directly to the two leads coming out of the bulb or will that dmage it? or is there some kind of holder i need as well for the bulb?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKLRVQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

thanks again

I'm no electrician, but would recommend getting the appropriate sized pre-wired "bi pin socket" assembly and fabricate a doo-hickey to make your thing-a-ma-bob work. You'll probably go through a bunch of those bulbs with that use, since they don't last as long when they're allowed to get too hot too often (or made to, in this case).

Bulb and socket must match, of course. Like one of these: http://www.topbulb.com/light-bulb-bases

Given all that, though, I'm not sure you can run a 12V halogen bulb from just any 12V DC source- those are all used in 12V systems where the current is generated by a 120v transformer and outputting 12v at anywhere from 1.2-5amps. Hopefully, someone with the knowledge on this will come a long soon and verify equipment requirements for this use.

Do they ever use propane/MAP torches for this function? Might be a simpler (and quicker) solution to just fabricate an appropriate shaped nozzle for the torch.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given all that, though, I'm not sure you can run a 12V halogen bulb from just any 12V DC source- those are all used in 12V systems where the current is generated by a 120v transformer and outputting 12v at anywhere from 1.2-5amps. Hopefully, someone with the knowledge on this will come a long soon and verify equipment requirements for this use.

12v auto lighting must tolerate a bit over 14v when the charging system kicks in. 12v halogen bulb can indeed just run straight from 12v of battery, provided the battery can handle the amperage. A 12v H4 headlight bulb on a 14 amp hour SLA battery will not last long, as this setup was intended to have a functioning charging system.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
130 watt h4 bulb with both coils cooking will do it. Insulate the "can" so heat stays in and electrical contacts are protected. Keep in mind, you're going to munch batteries like crazy.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
...not to mention that it'll eat h4 bulbs with that hotwire hack. :) H4 has a common leg for the filaments, so that'll be the point of failure.

Occasionally, I find some joker has done this to a bike that they bring to me to take a look. I put it back to stock. Running both filaments is highly not suggested in an operational vehicle. Otherwise, it does work, just eats the bulbs is all.

-Virgil- and Alaric would be proud of me. I put an HID kit bike back to stock. :) I put some guy's crappy home made led turn signals back to stock. I even got paid for it! :)

Return to stock, the most commonly said phrase in the auto lighting section of CPF. Ahh, yes.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
...not to mention that it'll eat h4 bulbs with that hotwire hack. :) H4 has a common leg for the filaments, so that'll be the point of failure.

Occasionally, I find some joker has done this to a bike that they bring to me to take a look. I put it back to stock. Running both filaments is highly not suggested in an operational vehicle. Otherwise, it does work, just eats the bulbs is all.

With an alt/gen keeping voltage up, yes but I've ran them for hrs that way off SLAs for yrs.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What fuel are you using too?

I broke engines in under -20c before, use a pop can cut in half on head.
To much fussing leads to no fun, use a temp gun, run through obligatory tanks of fuel. That engine wrong be fully broken in until a half gallon to a gallon is run through it.
Going to pack a Lead acid battery every time?
Have a car, use the exhaust from it to warm up motor?
Bump start, run it on there for a bit longer then normal.

I use to bench break in, and between two, I found no gain in ABC life.