Looking for a light for my mother in law

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everybody, need a little help finding a light for my mother in law. This isn't the type of light I usually shop for, so thought maybe I'd get some recommendations.
Absolute requirements:
#1: SIMPLE...and I mean SIMPLE interface. ideal would be the old nitecore EZ interface, twist a little for low, more for high.
#2: CR123 (i can supply them with a couple) or AA: Single Cell only.
#3: "bright enough" high mode. Say 130-150 lumens and a long runtime low mode.
#4: Decent brand/reliability in a durable build.

Cost not really an issue. Well, I'm not hunting down a Ti PD-S for her, but I'm willing to spend some dough.

What's out there right now? Am I correct that the nitecore EZ 123 is no longer in production? The new EZ aa is more of a programmable single stage, and that is NOT what I'm looking for.

Thanks all!

SL1

davecroft

Enlightened
A couple to start with:

Fenix LD15 - 2 mode twisty but its on for high, then off and back on again for low;

Fenix E11 - clicky tail switch. Just tighten the head for high.

Jetbeam BA10 / BC10 - same UI as the E11.

I think a non-flashaholic can't go wrong with the E11 to be honest. Dead easy to use and has useful amount of throw for a single AA. And its not expensive.

Is it worth spending a lot unless she would really appreciate it? Buy her a low priced light and a box of chocs /bottle of wine/ perfume (or all 3) with what you save!

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks a lot. I'll take a look at those suggestions. It's not that I WANT to spend a lot, just I want to make sure to get the right light, and am willing to spend a little more to make sure i do so.

I'll take a look at that E11, sounds about right.

SL1

jondotcom

Enlightened
Hey thanks a lot. I'll take a look at those suggestions. It's not that I WANT to spend a lot, just I want to make sure to get the right light, and am willing to spend a little more to make sure i do so.

I'll take a look at that E11, sounds about right.

SL1
Would also suggest a Xeno E03. Smooth enough for purse carry, relatively light-weight, and simple push button tail.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Surely if it's for the mother-in-law you want a 2x18650 or rcr123 light with one charged & one flat cell (unprotected ofcoarse) :D

Or is it just the uk that does mother in law jokes :D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get her a Sunwayman V10R (CR123 or 16340) or V10A (AA, NiMH or 14500). Click to turn on and off, and rotate the ring for easy output changing. I am sure she will like it.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surely if it's for the mother-in-law you want a 2x18650 or rcr123 light with one charged & one flat cell (unprotected ofcoarse) :D

Or is it just the uk that does mother in law jokes :D

No, we do them here, too. I happened to luck out in the mother in law department. She's pretty amazing.

Get her a Sunwayman V10R (CR123 or 16340) or V10A (AA, NiMH or 14500). Click to turn on and off, and rotate the ring for easy output changing. I am sure she will like it.

Great suggestion. I think I might take a serious look at Sunwayman.

Thanks everyone!

Chidwack

Enlightened
A couple of quick suggestions. Jetbeam BA20 or Klarus P2A are both great little 2xAA lights with simple 2 mode UI. Tail click the button to turn on. Tighten the head for high and loosen it for low. High mode will give plenty of light for anything she will probably need for 1.5 plus hours and low will give her 30 lumens for 30-35 hours. Only costs $40.
The second is a light that uses either one AA battery or one CR123 battery. (comes with a CR123 body tube) Shiningbeam I-mini and it's less than $40.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1
I just bort a V10R R5 for my old man, and I'm thinking about buying Ti for my muther, and two black V10R's or M10R's as Christmas presents for my sisters.
Women like compact...

IMG_1267.jpg

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I correct that the nitecore EZ 123 is no longer in production? The new EZ aa is more of a programmable single stage, and that is NOT what I'm looking for.

It's not longer produced, but still available at a few places. Activate your Google-fu. ;)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some mother-in-laws are best kept in the dark...:naughty:

LOL ... Good One SkyPup! I'd +2 or is it +3 the recommendation regarding a Sunwayman V10A, although the V10R with it's AA extension would be great! But IMO most folks will misplace or froget where they placed the AA extension since it's a small item!

Last edited:

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK70 so she can beat you with it if you are drunk:party:.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
How about a Zebralight SC51 ? Tell her to just press and hold the button until she has the illumination level she wants, then release the button (the UI can do much more, but that's enough for most people).

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for a small little aaa light for keychain use. This way she will always have light when she need it, and it wont be stuffed in the kitchen drawer and used once a year when power goes out.