Looking for a non-smart phone to replace my current smart phone.

DWSmith

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post other than my introduction. Hope this is okay.

I looked for a thread on this but couldn't find anything current and the cell phone industry changes so quickly threads become outdated anyway.

I'm looking for a replacement for my phone. I've only personally owned 4 cell phones. My employers have issued lots of phones (and pagers, remember those?) to me over the years. My favorite personal phone was my Samsung Convoy 4 flip phone but it was 3G so I had to replace it. My favorite company issued phone would have to be one of my Blackberry phones.

I'd like a dumb/feature phone that has talk, text, Blue Tooth, WiFi hotspot, 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack, and a removable battery. I don't need or want much more than that but I do want a decent quality phone.

Any of you have a non-smart phone you like? Can you post a photo with your reply?

Thanks,
Dan

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'd like a dumb/feature phone that has talk, text, Blue Tooth, WiFi hotspot, 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack, and a removable battery. I don't need or want much more than that but I do want a decent quality phone.
The feature phone is almost vanishingly rare nowadays. The last one I used was circa 2014 - a Samsung whose designation I do no remember but it was semi-ruggedized and had weeks of standby life with occasional usage.

A quick search turned up a Reddit thread and a website dedicated to the genre - dumbphonefinder.com.

DWSmith

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would add that I've looked at Punkt MP02, Light Phone 2, and the Sunbeam F1 series among many other phones. Sunbeam announced details yesterday on 8 additional phones in their new F1 Pro series. They haven't shipped yet but from the information posted yesterday on their site they look interesting. Any thoughts on them? I'm still very open to suggestions.

More and more folks are turning back to dumb/feature phones in the name of digital minimalism. Lots of phones to choose from with the choices increasing almost daily.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
More and more folks are turning back to dumb/feature phones in the name of digital minimalism. Lots of phones to choose from with the choices increasing almost daily.
I just don't see them in the wild, however my exposure is likely towards the more technically-inclined and connected. There's also the fact that the handheld black mirror with limited functionality is less likely to be out and in use so less opportunity for observation.

DWSmith

Newly Enlightened
I retired in January after working for 45 years in IT. I know just what you're talking about.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacement for my phone ... a dumb/feature phone that has talk, text, Blue Tooth, WiFi hotspot, 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack, and a removable battery.

I've had a couple of Kyocera flip phones and a couple of Samsung flip phones through Verizon's service. Looks like Verizon doesn't support the older Samsung flip type phones. But they have some Kyocera models. Good reliable stuff. And almost zero chance of making "butt calls."

I tend to prefer a phone to do just that, leaving "computer" stuff to the computer. Much cheaper that way, for one. Much less likely to get seriously infected with the bad stuff that seems to track the Android, Apple and other similar "smart" operating systems.