Looking for a small quality solar flashlight

Max

Enlightened
Looking for a small solar flashlight in a key-tag/credit card style shape. I know there are a lot of inexpensive ones out there, but some of the ones I've seen either run down really fast, take really long to charge, and otherwise seem like they don't work all that well and won't last very long. Can anyone recommend one that has some quality electronics inside? Good battery, good charging circuit, decent LED, etc.? Thanks

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I think you don't see any quality lights at that size because the solar panel needs to be much larger to be much use.
i use the Goal Zero nomad 7 to charge batteries (AA) that an be used to charge other devices, mobile phone, a rechargeable light, or to use the AA batteries in a AA light such as a Sunwayman D40a. Goal zero has a good, simple explanation of solar power on their site. I would learn about solar and then see how you can use it for providing power.
Goal zero did have a small solar light, not sure if they still sell it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the UK i would be looking in the cheap shops or cannibalise one of those solar display ornament things,here in my lounge i have a flower display that comes on at night after been charged in the day light had it years and never needs attention.

Max

Enlightened
Something with a hand-sized solar cell and AA-sized rechargeable batteries is bigger than what I have in mind. I'm looking for something that's smaller, probably using some kind of rechargeable button batteries. But that's the realm of devices that also include ones that are complete frauds.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hey there fellow Jerseyite :)
I never heard of skunklites, so I can't be of particular help. May I ask, why are you looking for a light like this?

I had from a dollar store with a momentary on that worked pretty well. Once in a while I would put it in the window to charge up. I used it to see the little control buttons on one of my home theater controls. So it was only used for a few seconds at a time.

How much light, and for how long do you want, or need?

Max

Enlightened
I was remembering that there was a discussion way back when about the kind of solar light... I finally found it in the discussions of the Skylight from 2006 (http://www.skunklights.com/products-SLS.php). It uses a Lithium Vanadium battery, with low self-discharge rate and 3hr runtime. From what I've tracked, it appears the Skylight became known as the Swiss Light Solar Pocket Light (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/swisslight_solar.htm). I am not sure if this eventually became today's Swiss Tech Solar Flashlight (cheaper, has 3 LEDs instead of 1).