Looking for a solution to woweful Fire Fighter torches...

jerry999

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys. I'm a firefighter in the UK, looking for a better solution than currently available to us..

We're personally issued with the following torches http://www.wolf-safety.co.uk/torches/atex_torch/ (the 90 degree head, fillament bulb version)

To be honest, they're poor, you always find yourself taking the rechargable box lamps from the appliance if you want anything half decent, personal torches never get used..

I've purchased a second torch so i can start modifying.

My plans we're to convert from 2D cells, to either 6 AA Ni-Mh or 2 Li-Ion batteries. I was going to see if i can completely remove the reflector assembly and replace with a new reflector and high power LED.

What's people's thoughts / suggestions? I'm open to ideas :)

** I wrote this about 3 hours ago and sods law got a callout before i could hit send lol.

Thanks

jerry999

Newly Enlightened
A standard Wolflight bardic is 11.4 lumens. It is intrinsically safe which means that you can switch it on or off in an explosive atmosphere. Do you ever switch your bardic on or off in such an atmosphere ? No you don't. I never did in 31 years service in London Fire Brigade. You switch on before entering such an atmosphere and don't switch off until you come out. Instead of fannying about with the standard crappy bardic, why not just buy a decent led torch with about 500 lumens and simply switch it on exactly as you did before ?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A standard Wolflight bardic is 11.4 lumens. It is intrinsically safe which means that you can switch it on or off in an explosive atmosphere. Do you ever switch your bardic on or off in such an atmosphere ? No you don't. I never did in 31 years service in London Fire Brigade. You switch on before entering such an atmosphere and don't switch off until you come out. Instead of fannying about with the standard crappy bardic, why not just buy a decent led torch with about 500 lumens and simply switch it on exactly as you did before ?

He said he wanted it to remain in appearance to his comrade's lights.

IE: Modify the one he has, rather than let on that he has something else than they do.

:D