Looking for a special p60 dropin

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap that is a cool thread. This is exactly the kind of collaboration that makes this place awesome. I'm going to try to get in line for a completed NailBender drop in based on this circuit.

wquiles is selling a very nice 'joule thief' circuit over in the Homebuilt & Modified forum. Run on 2 AA lithiums should give you a lot of run time.

Ian2381

Enlightened
where can i get a Quark like P60 dropin with a runtime of 1100 hours? thanks in advance.

1100 hrs is only less than 46days runtime, I think its possible.

Build myself an NW XmL dropin with KD 8x7135 V2 LED Driver.

Features:
- Current regulation for all output mode (no PWM flicks even at low mode)
- As low as 3mA-5mA for low output mode
- Eight programmable outputs
- Low voltage warning below 2.8V
- High mode: Constant regulated at 3040mA
- 1oZ copper PCB, immersion gold surface

Tested it on low for 24hrs using an AW 3100mah 18650.
from 3.83v to 3.79v

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
How low are we talking about here?
I would be pretty curious about a 1 lumen 1 mode drop-in.
How long could one lumen be maintained on 2X123??

Hmmmm, beating the quark moonlight (which yes is dimmer than 1 lumen) would be pretty hard to pull off.
Lower than one lumen, I'd just stick to the quark! It's smaller than a P60 host anyway.
Just me thinking out loud here....

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. These things happen fast. I just ordered one of wquiles' Joule Thief drivers to be sent to Nailbender to make a p60 drop in. This light will not have sub lumen output but it will be single mode and it will drain a cell further than anything else I know of. Could be a great "apocalypse" light since it will still make light from cells that will have been discarded by others as dead. I will do a run time test once it arrives.

Holy crap that is a cool thread. This is exactly the kind of collaboration that makes this place awesome. I'm going to try to get in line for a completed NailBender drop in based on this circuit.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on the wquiles Joule Thief driver in a Nailbender drop in. Nailbender just posted this in his sales thread:

"Hi

Here is a update on Wills Joule thief drivers.

I built up a red XPE with the Joule Thief driver and was impressed at how bright it was at 3votls and also how bright it was at 1.5 volts. One could easily see surroundings to walk or other activities.

I also did some lumen tests for a neutral white XPG and at 3 volts it was about 4 lumens while at 1.5 volts it is about 1.5 lumens.

Thanks

Dave"

I received a shipping notification this morning for mine (4000K Neutral XP-G, potted, LOP reflector). I'll try to corroborate the lumen numbers and take some beam shots as soon as it arrives. And then... a full duration run time test :devil:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I received a shipping notification this morning for mine (4000K Neutral XP-G, potted, LOP reflector). I'll try to corroborate the lumen numbers and take some beam shots as soon as it arrives. And then... a full duration run time test :devil:
Sounds good, that's nearly the exact configuration I'll spec for my Nailbender / Joule thief configuration. Should be just dandy with 2xAA (considerably brighter than on 1xAA and functioning down to only ~0.4v per cell since the two AA's will be in series). :thumbsup:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zombie apocalypse?

But really, a reliable light I can put in a BOB that I can trust to provide light for a LONG time, and make useful light from batteries that others have deemed "dead" just seems like a good idea. My current BOB has a Malkoff MD3 with an M31wl and an MD2 with an M61w and a high/low switch. I just don't have anything with super long run time.

I would ask the question why you would want an EDC sized light with a mode that runs 1100 hours. I mean, if it's your EDC, won't you presumably get the opportunity to charge it once in a while?

I'm kinda scared to ask, but for what purpose would you use a light large enough to hold a P60 but dim enough to run 1100 hours?

fyrstormer

Banned
The only light I have that can touch 1100 hours is a two-mode Pak-Lite with a glow-in-the-dark top. It is not my EDC. It's my "December 22nd 2012 and all the good boys and girls done got Raptured" light. ;) Someone pointed out that it will run on batteries salvaged from smoke detectors, and that sold me.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I recall someone using a Lithium Thionyl Chloride in their Quark, and doing a moonlight runtime test, but can't seem to find it anymore. Might have been lost in the black hole we had.

Put this in your quark, and you'll get great runtime in moonlight

http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=14507.101&cat1=&uid=

ONLY RUN IT IN MOONLIGHT, NO OTHER MODE!! THESE ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR HIGH CURRENT!

edit: FOUND IT!!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ight-Run-Time-Testimonials-real-world-testing

XP-E : 2352 hours : SAFT 3.6v 14500 Li-SOCL2 2600mah primary : Moonlight : Amigafan2003

ALMOST 2400 HOURS!!! Is that good for you?

You could probably get a resistor, and a 17mm 7135 board, and mod it so you drive the LED at 1mA, and get a AA to 2CR123 adapter for a 6P.

Pull the circuit from a Quark, put it in a 1D mag, and get one of these:

http://www.tnrbattery.com/ls33600-battery-saft-3-6v-d-lithium/

You'd get about 16,000+ hours/ 666 days (hahaha, Devils DeLight!)!! :devil:

Last edited: