Looking for a tight-beam thrower (no sidespill)

LEDrock

Enlightened
I am looking to get a really bright, very tight-beamed light. Something like what a spotlight would put out. I already have something that can do around 300 lumens with a 14500 battery. It's called an Sk-68 light. I guess that's the style number since there are many brands that make it. Here's an Amazon ad for an example: https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Flashlight-Tactical-Adjustable-Zoomable/dp/B01FTNY3ZK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Anyway, it's obvious that a light that can put out such a tight beam doesn't have to be expensive. The ones in the ad (and the ones I have) run about $3 apiece and use a first generation Cree and 1AA (or 14500) battery. What I'd like to know is if there is a "super" version of them. Something in the 1,000+ lumen range. Basically the same thing, but using a more advanced LED and bigger battery such as an 18650.

I'm not sure what such lights are called. I searched for "throwers", but didn't find what I wanted, and also "white laser", but that just refers to LEP lights.

I am looking to get a really bright, very tight-beamed light. Something like what a spotlight would put out…
Sounds like you might be interested in an LEP. Super tight and intense beam; zero spill. Though be wary of what you wish for. A true no-spill beam is really limited in its utility.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Sounds like you might be interested in an LEP. Super tight and intense beam; zero spill. Though be wary of what you wish for. A true no-spill beam is really limited in its utility.
Well, the LEP's are super expensive, and I know traditional LEDs can do the job. The Sk-68 I mentioned earlier can do 300 lumens, and it's only $3. I also have a cheap spotlight that I bought for $8 some years ago that runs on 4AA batteries and puts out a claimed 250 lumens.

I know the utility would be limited. To be honest, I've been interested in getting a laser pointer with a bright visible beam to play around with at night, but they are so expensive and can be dangerous, and maybe even illegal. A flashlight with a strong tight beam could be fun as well. I've been playing around with my spotlight by shining it up in the air at night, and it's getting me to want something that's a lot brighter. I know I could just get an updated spotlight, but the lens is so much wider that it spreads the light out more. The little Sk-68 lights have a much narrower lens. I was looking to get something more like that, but with a more advanced LED, and a bigger battery. I have a Sofirn SC-31 pro that uses an 18650 battery and a Cree XP-L LED. Plenty bright at over 1,000 lumens, and it was a little over $20, so I know the power I'm looking for can be had in such a light. Just a matter of getting one with a lens/reflector setup that makes the beam really tight like the Sk-68 lights do.

Well, the LEP's are super expensive, and I know traditional LEDs can do the job. The Sk-68 I mentioned earlier can do 300 lumens, and it's only $3. I also have a cheap spotlight that I bought for $8 some years ago that runs on 4AA batteries and puts out a claimed 250 lumens.

I know the utility would be limited. To be honest, I've been interested in getting a laser pointer with a bright visible beam to play around with at night, but they are so expensive and can be dangerous, and maybe even illegal. A flashlight with a strong tight beam could be fun as well. I've been playing around with my spotlight by shining it up in the air at night, and it's getting me to want something that's a lot brighter. I know I could just get an updated spotlight, but the lens is so much wider that it spreads the light out more. The little Sk-68 lights have a much narrower lens. I was looking to get something more like that, but with a more advanced LED, and a bigger battery. I have a Sofirn SC-31 pro that uses an 18650 battery and a Cree XP-L LED. Plenty bright at over 1,000 lumens, and it was a little over $20, so I know the power I'm looking for can be had in such a light. Just a matter of getting one with a lens/reflector setup that makes the beam really tight like the Sk-68 lights do.
You might be looking for something with an aspheric lens rather than a reflector. Even the most powerful throwers with smooth reflectors still produce spill. As far as I know, there aren't many options for an aspheric these days. The Lumintop Antman LEP is super compact, zero spill, and can be found in the CountyComm Cosmos variant for about $80 after a coupon if that's within your budget.

jacobd

Newly Enlightened
If you want an LEP style beam from an LED I'd go for a Convoy Z1 with the CULPM1 emitter. Zoomie aspheric lens gets the beam about as tight as possible. About $30 on AE. Photo is from TGReviews (TacGriz)

1712796011645.png

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another suggestion for a LEP.
My Thor 3 was very affordable. Highly recommended.