Looking for advice on Surefires

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i'll give a +1 to the quark RGB, but if you must have surefire (i know i know...i've got a few myself) then i would definitely consider getting a blue and a red P60 drop-in (nailbender makes some good ones) that way you only have to change the drop-in and you have another color, or get 2 surefire G2Ls, paint one blue and one red and get corresponding colored drop-ins for each so you know which is which, krylon paint sticks pretty well to plastics. This way you now have an extra surefire to qualify you as a collector!

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Random thoughts from a multi-A2 and Kroma MS owner...it's Friday...

First, are you sure you need red and blue? The color LED I find by far most usefull is YG in both the Kroma MS and the A2. Red is less useful because it's actually brighter except in my original L1 on low, and the color rendition is much better. It took me years to find any use at all for blue, but YMMV.

The Kroma is a fabulous light but honestly it's a lot of $ per useful lumen. I keep thinking I should sell it (but that's not an offer). The physical profile and general usefulness of the A2 YG is hard to beat for my uses.

There are (used to be, anyway) dedicated red, blue and true green L1s - there are used ones floating around.

I looked seriously at the Inova when it came out and followed the threads here as others bought and used them. Short version: I never bought one and still own my A2s, L1s and Kroma.

I really like the idea of having everything I need built into one light and instantly available, which is of course why the Kroma caught my eye. I need a soft red light in situations where I don't want to shine a bright light of ANY colour, and of course the red is to preserve my nightsight. It has another advantage in that you can sometimes leave it on in situations where that wouldn't be a good idea with any other colour. I want blue because, well because it is the opposite of red chromatically and still preserves some nightsight, though not quite as much. Red light can wash out red things like map lines, other red lights, and blood and things, either disguising them or just plain making them invisible- in those situations blue really brings the same things out. I wouldn't be looking for 100 lumen in those two colours so the Gerber recon is pretty good, plus it throws in a green light option as well. But, the more I think about it, the more 'cumbersome' it seems to be carrying 3 different units as I do now. However... it IS a working combo until I come to a decison....

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what little it's worth, my recollection is that blue is nearly as "bad" as white light for killing night vision - I could be wrong.

Another FWIW - even my old/original red L1 is much brighter than my Kroma MS on red, but the MS has only 4xRed LEDs whereas the street model has, I think, 8xRed and may be quite bright.

The Kroma is a great light, so I'd encourage you to see if you can find one to try locally.

I really like the idea of having everything I need built into one light and instantly available, which is of course why the Kroma caught my eye. I need a soft red light in situations where I don't want to shine a bright light of ANY colour, and of course the red is to preserve my nightsight. It has another advantage in that you can sometimes leave it on in situations where that wouldn't be a good idea with any other colour. I want blue because, well because it is the opposite of red chromatically and still preserves some nightsight, though not quite as much. Red light can wash out red things like map lines, other red lights, and blood and things, either disguising them or just plain making them invisible- in those situations blue really brings the same things out. I wouldn't be looking for 100 lumen in those two colours so the Gerber recon is pretty good, plus it throws in a green light option as well. But, the more I think about it, the more 'cumbersome' it seems to be carrying 3 different units as I do now. However... it IS a working combo until I come to a decison....

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Really the coded references sometimes used on this site take some learning, but no doubt that is part of the fun. I have decided to hold out for a Kroma Milspec, a unit I hadn't known about until receiving advice here, which as stated adds yellow-green to the options, taking me back to where I am now only with 2 units instead of 3, and more intensity options. Not sure where or when K Milspecs are available or if when I find one they will be priced so that anyone short of a government can afford them, but I'm a patient guy. Merci all!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get all original A2 Aviators you can find, at least one in every color... (before they get discontinued and people start asking 600 bucks apiece).

Latest posts