Looking for an EDC "grail" light - (yea right I know) :) - Listed Details inside!

Lucciola

Enlightened
Re: Looking for an EDC "grail" light - (yea right I know) :) - Listed Details inside

Surefire EB1 comes out soon that'd be an awesome choice

Please define "soon" related to Surefire product releases. :candle: :nana:

When it comes out I'll certainly buy the EB1 sooner or later, but I stopped waiting for SF lights. My waiting for the LX1 tought me a leasson. :tired: On the other hand SF products are once they are released no flash in the pan like so many other lights. Once released you can expect to buy them for several years so there's no need to jump immediately on the bandwagon at the release.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying that the "non-mini Quarks and (most) Zebralights" have a slightly brighter beam at the same current? The low mode runtime of the V-series is understated by about a factor of 2. You have to look at the current used for a given level of brightness, from which you can calculate actual runtime. You can't just look at what's written on the box.

But I agree that it probably has nothing to do with lack of PWM.

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I've read, I understood that a light with a good buck driver should be have a longer runtime using a current regulated moonlight mode, than one using PWM to generate the SAME moonlight level (contrary to what the other poster mentioned).

I'm pretty certain, though, that the infinitely variable magnetic rings use power (an overhead), quite significant in relation to the draw of lower lumen modes like moonlight, and that's really what kills their runtimes.

With regard to SWM's "specs", I really have no idea what to believe... I know the Vs say it has 1 lumen low, but many have reported it is much lower than that and you can stare straight at the emitter without pain. I was also very interested in their M series as the runtimes looked excellent at 4 lumens, however, Selfbuilt has commented on his reviews of the M20 and M11, that the 4 lumen mode is closer to 0.4 lumens.

borealis

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking for an EDC "grail" light - (yea right I know) :) - Listed Details inside

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I've read, I understood that a light with a good buck driver should be have a longer runtime using a current regulated moonlight mode, than one using PWM to generate the SAME moonlight level (contrary to what the other poster mentioned).

I'm pretty certain, though, that the infinitely variable magnetic rings use power (an overhead), quite significant in relation to the draw of lower lumen modes like moonlight, and that's really what kills their runtimes.

With regard to SWM's "specs", I really have no idea what to believe... I know the Vs say it has 1 lumen low, but many have reported it is much lower than that and you can stare straight at the emitter without pain. I was also very interested in their M series as the runtimes looked excellent at 4 lumens, however, Selfbuilt has commented on his reviews of the M20 and M11, that the 4 lumen mode is closer to 0.4 lumens.
I have these lights and I have measured current at low modes. The V10R Ti drew 15mA out of the box. I then had the magnet ring moved to get it even lower (and had the XP-G R5 replaced with a Nichia 219), and now the current draw at the lowest setting is ~13mA. So my guess is that the "ring overhead" is about 10mA, hardly anything to complain about, and while significant for runtimes on low, unlikely to cause much of a difference in runtimes on high. But I don't have the setup to measure flux, so I can't provide a full scientific report.

*Current measured with LiIon rechargeables at around 4V. The current draw is much higher when using lower voltage batteries, like the 1.2V NiMH eneloops.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
....So my guess is that the "ring overhead" is about 10mA, hardly anything to complain about, and while significant for runtimes on low, unlikely to cause much of a difference in runtimes on high. But I don't have the setup to measure flux, so I can't provide a full scientific report.

Completely agree with all that, and 10ma is exactly what I always suspected the ring overhead to be. I don't have anything to measure with, this just based on comparing Quark runtimes on moonlight mode, which is 1ma, and low, which is 10ma, to the SWM. Also, very much agree that the draw is probabably insignificant to most people, but by far, my often used modes happen be low and moonlight (ie, camping), and that means 1/2 to 1/10th the runtimes for me...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

What am I looking for? I DO like:
Powerful flood, like the XML. I like Neutral tint (not warm, but not blue) Just plain ol white..more towards the cool side
Decent run times (running li-ion)- 17670 or 14500... maybe single 16340? (18650 lights are too big for me to carry EDC) Ability to run standard batts I would say is a plus.
UI) Either- low mode, then High... maybe variable (havent tried variable) (IE: I like the Fury UI best, useable low...then HIGH. This UI needs no memory)
Durable
Tailstands
Tail switch (forward clicky w momentary)
GOOD clip, I prefer deep carry bezel down

What I do NOT like:
Twistys. Sorry but I really do not like twisty lights.
Crappy clips, and bezel up carry....I dont need a spiked bezel hanging out of my pocket. Unfortunately, im not a ninja by trade :sssh:
Strobe and SOS...dont need them

This doesn't meet ALL of your demands, but check it out anyway...

http://www.inforce-mil.com/6vx.php

gripnSUREFIRE

Newly Enlightened

This doesn't meet ALL of your demands, but check it out anyway...

http://www.inforce-mil.com/6vx.php

Thanks for that, I haven't seen that one before!

I did buy a HDS120 Executive with a XML swap. I figure, if it doesnt work out...it should be easy to sell.
If I dont like it, ill probably go for the V11R and the AA adapter.

Thanks for all the help! :grouphug: