Looking for extremely small light?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Lantern, Jack O.:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Or there's always the old standby Arc AAA...it even uses AAAs
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Maybe an Arc AAA in green or cyan. That wouldn't be a good "glow light" though, at least unmodified. Maybe a clever use of heat shrink or other tubing on on the Arc AAA head could provide a glow though. Just a thought. The Photon 3 with a crystal just seems easier.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Probably...but kinda more expensive in the long run I'd think. Arc would be expensive too but, aw I donno. I think tubing could work well...Look at the Energizer Folding LED....

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys what about the cheap photon copycats on ebay? There are a few auctions going for about 15 dollars for 12 of them! I just need something I can tape on the tip of my pole and I'm good to go.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
I wouldn't recomend the green or turq photon. I would use a red, orange or yellow Photon 2 or 3 instead. Reason: The green, white, turquoise and Blue use 2 CR2016 batteries and only run 12 hrs. The other colors while not as bright use a single 2032 battery which is cheaper and it lasts Much longer up to 120 hrs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It looks like maybe they changed the green LED recently. Like you say, now they only claim 10-12 hours for the "New 6V Green". http://www.photonlight.com/more_info/tech_specs.html

Looks like Vicomptel's site still has the old runtime info. I wonder if they still have the old 20 hour green too?
http://www.vicomptel.com/Photon/BUYPHOTON3.html

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
What about Tag Lights? Those suckers are really, REALLY tiny and you wouldn't even notice them on the end of your rod. They use a white Nichia LED and a couple of small lithium coin cells, and yes, they're field-strippable if need be.

tag1.jpg

I have a page about them at www.ledmuseum.org/tag1.htm

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
In South Africa, tritium markers are available. The dimensions are roughly 50 long x 4mm diameter. These are standard items. When ordered in larger quantities, any custom size should be possible. Price about US9-10. Lifetime minimum 10 years. Also much smaller units with a small clip that are used as personal markers clipped to people in the mines. Dimensions roughly 20x12mm. Price I guess to be around US3-4. Don't know about regulations exporting "officially" though.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a photon or knockoff you will need to find some cheap batteries. the Lithium buttons can cost as much as $3ea or as little as $.50

Anyway I should have recomended a knockoff or the Photon X-light because its cheaper. Make sure you chose one with a constant on switch. If it needs to be waterproof then go for a CMG O4

But get a red yellow or orange led as they draw less current.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the arc is small enough then I would recommend that over the photons I recomended earlier as it is definatly the cost effective king. The unit is a little more expensive initially but the AAA Batteries are cheap and you can even use rechargable batteries, though the arc can easily over drain the Nimh so change batteries every 5 hrs or so. And its plenty waterproof too!
Plus its just an awesome little light to have around off the pole too so make it removable, and after your buddies see yours in action they can buy there own so you can stop giving them glowsticks.
wink.gif

That tag light would eat batteries quickly and the batteries would be expensive and hard to find

Free

Enlightened
How about painting the end of your rod with glow in the dark paint. You could recharge it periodically with a blast from a flashlight.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Does it have to be all self contained at the end of the fishing rod?

If not, then you can have one or two leds (color of your choice) and have some wires running down to near the handles where you can have AAA's or AA's. That way the weight distribution won't be much on the tip but will still have a long battery life.

If you go with the GITD paint idea, you can use some UV leds!

YC

splitsec524

Newly Enlightened
Tomorrow night I'm going to try the photon with a little piece of plastic on the end of it. The nite strike EL looks interesting but I'd rahter not have the whole pole illuminated. Seems like a waste of light and would make the pole heavier. I'll let u guys know how it turns out. I'm actually going to take one of those emptied glowsticks and shove it onto the LED of the photon and see how it goes.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Check out walmart for the pin cell batteries with built on LED lights. They are about 1/8 of a inch in diameter and 1 inch or so long with a led attached. They have a built in switch that allows you to turn them off when your are done using them. They are sold for use in side of a light up fishing float. I have been tempted by them just for the novelty of the package.
"I edited this post. I had said fishing lure when I intended to say float."

Wylie

Enlightened
Hi,
Some of the ideas that have been posted here have been done in the past and in very poor fashion. Leds have been built into fishing rods at the tip end of fishing rods. Nite Glow Rods is a company that did this and they are out of business now because of the poor quality and engineering put into their product.
I have heard of a fishing rod that has been developed on the coast of Oregon that the tip section illuminates when a fish takes the bait. These rods need to have a pretty stout bite in order to illuminate them from what I hear. These rods, I have a feeling will never make it into full scale production as they have a lot of parts and I doubt they could be built to be very reliable. I am pretty sure that a mercury switch is used in the construction of the rods and I just not see how they could be built to be very durable.
Another illuminated fishing rod that has been produced used fiber optics inside an opaque fishing rod illuminated by a flashlight in the handle of the rod. These were another that failed because of poor manufacturing. The flashlights would only illuminate for about 6 to 8 hours maximum and they were cheaply built as well. A lot of your larger AAA batteries would get stuck in these flashlights because the anodizing would have drips inside the battery cylinders. If these people would have paid more attention to quality and would have been up on the leds they may have still been in business today.
As for the flexible tube type neon gadgets out there that have been mentioned. They have a power pack that is stationary and is not a really a part of the fishing rod. The weight of this product desensitizes the fishing rod but they do look neat. The weight of this product will effect the action of the fishing rod while casting as well. Rod blank engineering is an exacting science and this product has not been taken into account when rod blanks are designed. I believe an effort has been made to incorporate this product into the fishing rod itself but the need for voltage and the weight it would create bar this from ever being a viable fishing rod or product for a manufacture to ever consider building.
I have built an illuminated fishing rod that has won an award for best recreational product of 2001 from Hammacher Schlemmer a 154-year-old company. Hammacher Schlemmer has had some involvement with products such as the pop up toast and electric hair dryer in the past and at the time these products were considered to be gadgets or novelty items. The fishing rods I have developed will illuminate over 48 hours with the use of two AAA batteries and they indicate when a fish has taken the bait as well. I use a laser mounted in the handle of the fishing rod that projects the beam into the interior of the fishing rods hollow tubular construction. Either the laser light can be reflected off the inner walls of the rod blank for more illumination or can be pointed directly at the tip of the fishing rod for greater sensitivity in the bite indication. I now have a wide variety of sizes and strengths these fishing rods can be built in covering everything from ocean to freshwater fishing. I am moving into my last phase of development at this time and I am not sure if I am going to be able to make it work because of the manufacturer that licensed my product but that is a long story and we are just talking about lighted fishing rods here so I will leave this as is. Check your search engine for (laser fishing rods or www.wylierods.com) and you will see what I have done with fishing rods. I wouldn't say this if it weren't true; I have built the best-illuminated fishing rods that has ever been built.

Wylie

Enlightened
I may know the inventor of the product you have mentioned. Glojigs use some very small 317 button cell batteries in their product. I think they will illuminate for up to 24 hours on the two batteries depending on whether you use the blinking type or the lit all the time models. Their is a website http://www.glojig.com/ if you would be interested in ordering online. These glojigs would work okay for a light at the end of a fishing rod. I believe they are built as light as 1/8 ounce and have a hook you would be able to use to hang them on one of the guides on the rods at the tip. If you are fishing in cold weather these will work well because of the batteries they are using in this product as well. These lures may just be the option you are looking for.