Looking to buy this particular laser..so has anyone bought this one?

Hot Brass

Enlightened
Hi: I already have a cheeapy 5mw,but more like 2mw green laser with 2xAAA,but I have seen this particular one which has the same power of 5mw,but claims a range of 20,000 feet.
It is the GP-Series:professional from Extreme Lasers. Not cheap at $269.00,but I can buy a used one a little cheaper. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it,but is there something else I should be looking at? Probably more laser than I need for just plaing around with! Thanks,Huck50

Last edited:

Drtonyt

Newly Enlightened
What nm is it? Eg. 405nm, 445, 473, 532 etc? 5mW is very low power and unless it is a rare colour Eg. 473, 589 etc it isn't worth anywhere near that price!!! You can get a 5mW Green, Red or Blue for under $10

parabola949

Newly Enlightened
It's a 5mW "Precision tuned" 532nm.....
At $269, I'd call it a rip off honestly. I got a WATERPROOF 532nm 100mW for $100.. (When I say waterproof, I mean I tossed it into a pool!)

Either way, $260 for 5mW? That's a whopping $53.80 per mW... insane!

He said he wanted the Professional version:
http://www.extremelasers.com/laserpointers.html

ModelsEconomy
3_stars.png
Standard
4_stars.png
Professional
5_stars.png
Output Power:<5mW<5mW5mW Precision Tuned
Wavelength:532nm
Class:IIIa
Dimensions:1/2" x 5 1/2"
Batteries:2 x AAA
Sony Diode:YES
Crystal Efficiency:AverageAbove AverageSuperior
Expected Lifetime:2,500hrs3,000hrs4,000hrs
Warranty:6 Months12 Months24 Months
Range Estimate:10,000ft15,000ft20,000ft

ArJuna

Newly Enlightened
$269 sounds like an insane price for a 5mw 532nm laser for a hobbyist. Unless you are doing scientific work and have a a=specific need for a "precision tuned" version, it sounds like a waste of money. TO be honest it sounds like a scam to me, especially since it is a laser pointer and not a lab laser. I also saw it only had a 4,000 hours lifespan, which is quite low. Most 532nm lasers will last 5000-8000 hours.

All that being said, my guess is they are actually selling lasers with much higher power and are stating 5mw and under to get around restrictions. It is possible the "precision" model is putting out 100 or more mw. I would do more research. If it really is just 5mw I would stay far away from it.

I just bought my son a very high quality 5mw pointer from LaserGlow called the Galileo-5 that cost $89 shipped. It is a fine 5mw pointer and still overpriced, but if you want to be sure you are getting quality, Laserglow has an excellent reputation. Check around for recommendations from others in this forum or over at LaserPointerForums. Tell them what you want and how much you have to spend and you will get great advice if you ask nicely.

Good luck

Time to go play with my new JL 1.25w 445nm toy. :devil:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want <5mW, you will end up paying a bit more. Kind of like how anybody can run an LED at 4A or direct-drive, but it's harder to run an LED to obtain exactly 5 lumens, not 4.9lm, not 5.1lm. Generally, this kind of stability isn't really necessary in a pointer, but it IS nice to know that if you meter it at a certain output, that it will be at that output next time you meter it too.

ArJuna, power isn't everything. My most powerful laser is 0.8W, and because of that, I rarely use it. I have a <5mW 532nm pen, optically stabilized and IR filtered, which is my go-to laser pointer now :) I have an "amazon" style 5mW green, puts out ~40mW of 532nm, plus pump leakage. It was definitely much cheaper than the <5mW pen. It is also broken now, the switch switches itself on if you just barely touch the button. Quite a dangerous situation for an overpowered pen, so it's in a drawer now.