Love my red Surefire CR123s but could use a less expensive alternative

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 flashlights that can use CR123s as well as two single rifle mounted flashlights. I am a big fan of the Surefire CR123 in red.

Can anyone recommend an alternative - I want to pick up a couple of 12 packs to keep in the safe.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever USA made CR123's you can get the best deal on - all are apparently made in the same factory to the same specs. I would avoid all Chinese made CR123's.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I want to go with a good distributor since non rechargeable and have a max shelf life of 10 years - if they site in some warehouse for a few years, not good.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever USA made CR123's you can get the best deal on - all are apparently made in the same factory to the same specs. I would avoid all Chinese made CR123's.

Recent posts on other threads suggest that not all USA made CR123's are created equal. SF and Streamlight seem to perform better.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I like the price on the Panasonics, use those first since they may not last as long for storage?

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
All of the USA made are made by Panasonic. But like Modernflame said, all aren't equal.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pricing some out tonight and found on Amazon a 12 pack of surefire Reds for just under $22. They are from a seemingly reputable dealer.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
You can always try a 16650 KeepPower protected 2500 mAh lithium ion battery. Fits many of my 2XCR123 flashlights. About the least expensive longer term heavy use option available IMHO. Just tossing it out there in case this option is on the table.

edit. Moved thread to the proper forum. Left expiring 1 day redirect in previous forum.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pricing some out tonight and found on Amazon a 12 pack of surefire Reds for just under $22. They are from a seemingly reputable dealer.
I've read that if Amazon sends something from their Warehouses the products could be binned. So although it looks like you're ordering from a good seller, the product may have been binned with dodgy stuff. So the product is pulled out at random and there's no way of telling where it came from.
Just thought I'd mention that.
P

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, its definitely something that has to be mentioned. Amazon has third party dealers that are not reliable, and also has- as you said- binned stuff that get sent out again.
I am going to check them when they are delivered. I will check the voltage and also against my other batteries from surefire. These are really backups to my Li-ions so I am going for a bit cheaper. On black friday and cyber monday there were some deals but with shipping they were $5+ more then Amazons.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
N
I doubt you would want to take he risk but the 48 pack is a pretty decent price, lol.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use Rayovacs for lights without a need for sustained high draw uses like my G2x Pro that usually stays on low. Made in the same factory as the red batteries but cost about 20% less.

With lights like my stock 6P the extra cost of the red batteries is pretty much offset even-steven with the added runtime versus the Rayovacs.

Streamlight actually have a bit more capacity than the red batteries and cost about the same. Both were designed around over driven light bulbs. So if you use a lot of batteries over a year the Streamlight costs versus the reds is a bit less.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I decided to bike the bullet and go with the a 10 pack of Surefires again even though they are a little more expensive. I have rechargable 18650s for my newer flashlights so these are more for emergency backup and a long shelf like is important. I did get a little discount and the expiration date is about 10 years from now.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: