LR44 / Button Cell Lights!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
La Petite Killer, the one, the only and best ever button cell light in history. Made by a master machinist. There are many, however, this IS it, and that's that!

Oh in Titanium!

I have three, must in case...

Best maybe in machining. My photon freedom covert does so much more though for so much less money and weight.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Nothing better to date, and maybe for years, and years! And, we don't want powerful!

I'm bringing up the topic of powerful. Is there a key chain sized button cell light with an amplifier out there with power? The Bright Shine may be but I didn't hear the video say 70 lumens, and I haven't found FL1 specs for it legit yet. I suppose I don't mean to hold back the momentum of the post if the OP had a goal of simply mentioning lights that are recognized, but I'd like to see a high performance LED use an amplifier to reduce volts and boost amperage to get a nice high lumen count. I mean, if a single AAA can be 120 lumens, why can't a stacked button batteries get that high?

I don't think it is worth a new post, but are there any AAAA battery run flashlights out there? They would be fun to have and use, as they would be in between AAA and button cells.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm bringing up the topic of powerful. Is there a key chain sized button cell light with an amplifier out there with power? The Bright Shine may be but I didn't hear the video say 70 lumens, and I haven't found FL1 specs for it legit yet. I suppose I don't mean to hold back the momentum of the post if the OP had a goal of simply mentioning lights that are recognized, but I'd like to see a high performance LED use an amplifier to reduce volts and boost amperage to get a nice high lumen count. I mean, if a single AAA can be 120 lumens, why can't a stacked button batteries get that high?

I don't think it is worth a new post, but are there any AAAA battery run flashlights out there? They would be fun to have and use, as they would be in between AAA and button cells.

As I said earlier LR44s are nominal 25ma output maximum 75ma and to boost that to 120 lumens you would need a stack of them a lot longer than the length of a AAA battery such that it makes them unacceptable in both cost and performance. Simply put for higher output alkaline batteries suck nimh or nicad or lithium chemistry is needed to get the power needed to drive LEDs to the output you are desiring. For 120 lumen output a AAA battery needs to crank out about 1.5-2.0 Amps I believe if you went to 3AAAs you would still need about 500ma or so output from the batteries this current level would require a buck circuit and 15 LR44 cells to accomplish maybe more than 20 even and runtime would probably be less than half an hour.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, if a single AAA can be 120 lumens, why can't a stacked button batteries get that high?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LR44_battery
LR44, alkaline 150mah, 1.5v
Mr44, mercury 210 mah, 1.3v

All coin cells have very low maximum current draw before voltage sag kicks in. It's why CR2016 lights are so anemic. LR44 has the same curse. It varies by chemistry, maker, and even battery age. It's in the milliamps. Try to draw more and the voltage will sag. You wouldn't need to merely stack them series, you'd be forced to stack them parallel. Now you've got 9 coins in a light trying to do the job of AAA NiMH.

Also, this thread cannot be complete without this:
http://www.lr44batteryequivalent.org/
About LR44

LR44 is an alkaline 1.5 V battery. The most common equivalent batteries are:

• AG13
  • L1154
  • LR1154
Silver Oxide Equivalent Batteries
LR44 can be also be replaced with a silver oxide battery. The most common silver oxide equivalents are:

• SR44
  • SR44SW

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Short answer is that the high internal resistance limits sustained current draw.

Sure, in sequence, but in parallel as well as amplifier, it could be done, the real problem is expense, it would be very complicated, so likely $200 per light, which you probably wouldn't try to sell to the key chain crowd.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Thing is, to get 120 lumens 2015 technology allows about 1.0 even perhaps 0.8 volts, so according to your numbers, it would only take 6 LR44 batteries to match it in amps. Then we can talk about how 6x150 mah of energy total is way more than a 600 mah AAA, meaning the bat life would outlast a typical AAA. If above comment saying you can get LR44 batteries for 8¢ on eBay shipped, then you have an equivalent to AAA light, in all aspects, accept one-use the LR44 flashlight would last %30 longer. So,, there's your math.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thing is, to get 120 lumens 2015 technology allows about 1.0 even perhaps 0.8 volts, so according to your numbers, it would only take 6 LR44 batteries to match it in amps. Then we can talk about how 6x150 mah of energy total is way more than a 600 mah AAA, meaning the bat life would outlast a typical AAA. If above comment saying you can get LR44 batteries for 8¢ on eBay shipped, then you have an equivalent to AAA light, in all aspects, accept one-use the LR44 flashlight would last %30 longer. So,, there's your math.

Well ... it should be pretty easy to discharge test a AAA vs a stack of 6x LR44, for capacity ... at what was the current draw you were wanting ? An amp (1000 mA) ?

:ohgeez: :shakehead

EDIT - To be clear, I don't think a stack of coin cells or button cells can or should be used to replace larger batteries :caution:

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... it should be pretty easy to discharge test a AAA vs a stack of 6x LR44, for capacity ... at what was the current draw you were wanting ? An amp (1000 mA) ?

:ohgeez: :shakehead
I didn't think LR44 could even DO that... Even 3 in series with 2 stacks parallel. Don't they choke at something like 50 milliamps individually?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Probably would be good to get this thread back towards "on topic" , too ....

Maybe further battery questions could be directed to the "Batteries" subforum?

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
I didn't think LR44 could even DO that... Even 3 in series with 2 stacks parallel. Don't they choke at something like 50 milliamps individually?

Amplifier. Amplifiers do what they sound like they increase amperage and drop voltage.There is no way one AAA completely outperforms 6-8 single batteries in an unreachable way, the energy density just isn't there.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hj55cza.jpg

Handmade SR41 Lamplighter ... by @calipsoii

Runtime ... ~ 3 months :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amplifier. Amplifiers do what they sound like they increase amperage and drop voltage.There is no way one AAA completely outperforms 6-8 single batteries in an unreachable way, the energy density just isn't there.
NiMH AAAx1 Eneloop can draw a bit more than 300 milliamps, afaik.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Maxell 20 pack - $8.99

I should have made a battery thread.... :grin2:

Lights!

First, due to many reviews, and my own experience, buying batteries from either Amazon or eBay is extremely unreliable. Second, you didn't specify what type of battery that is, it is probably silver________, because 20 for $8 is rather costly for alkaline lr44s .