LUMENCRAFT - POLARIS (formerly EOS) - lots of renderings

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
How about a gatlight that fits a 18650, I would be 1st in line.

18650 Gatlights have been made and are out there... they're just not all that common. :D
Search "18650 Gatlight", and you'll see some threads and pics.

:thumbsup: john

GLOCK18

Enlightened
You mean the GatLight V1 & V2 SS 168S in stainless, I would like to see the GatLight Titanium (V4) with a 18650 with the lastest upgrades. I have a V2 SS 168s

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... an 18650 V4 model.. that would require longer carbon fiber pieces and bars. Wouldn't bee too hard to do... if we do another round of GatLights... which is unlikely... we might run a few extra longer parts for the carbon fiber and the tubes.

We have a few ideas.. but first need to do some housekeeping (accounting, paperwork, etc.)... then plan the next few things. So regarding GatLights.. we don't have that many left in stock... but if you want an 80 parts flashlight (40 of'em metal)... that's probably the only light there ever was.. and will be... to get that...

faco

Enlightened
:popcorn: hopefully one day I can send you a paypal payment for the polaris :)

I am willing to send a part payment if others can do the same just to get it started, lets get a numbers list started :thumbsup:

Blacwatch28B

Newly Enlightened
Lumencraft
Ok after a creative break, I would like to show you what we have been up to recently at Lumencraft. I know cpf has had quite a few changes and I have contacted sasha in regards to where to post Lumencraft Stuff. She suggested a separate sub section (like the other ones here) and said she'd get to it once she's past the currently urgent stuff. So until that happens, we will post here in this thread.. what we've been up to.

Here is some info about the GatLight.. however I want this thread to be about the Polaris our new model... but first just an update in regards to the Gatlight since it impacts the polaris.

GatLight
First after having been featured in popular mechanics (blog and Febr 08 Print edition we saw the need to do another round of GatLights... they'll be a bit brighter and have some very minor changes compared to the V3... Those who haven't seen that light yet, it is a pretty unusual design of a pocket flashlight with an awesome user interface...

Polaris (formerly known as EOS)
Then once this next round of Gatlights is under way we want to make the Polaris happen. We mentioned this light previously as EOS and we've shown some photos of a prototype featuring 6 white backlighted sapphires...(other photo) however we went back to the drawing board mostly because in comparison to the GatLight it just wasn't cool enough. If you gave people a GatLight and that EOS prototype to hold and ask them which one they want.. they all said the GatLight. However we wanted to create a light where people would say both.... Anyway so here is what we came up with, still same form factor and size as the EOS... but different...

The light comes in 3 versions...
V3 - Is the Lumencraft Polaris Sapphire
Titanium, sapphire window to showcase the electronics and variable brightness function and underneath a titanium skeleton with laser engraved serial numbers... again that's the plan we don't know yet if we can make that happen at reasonable cost... but that's our vision.

polarisv3-3.jpg

Here is a close up of the translucent sapphire section showcasing the electronics and variable brightness function.. We came up with this idea after looking at high end watches.. they all have sapphire windows in the back to showcase their inner workings... so we figured lets see if we can do the same in a high end pocket light...

polarisv3-2.jpg

or here the ice version.. blue sapphire glass and black AL body...

polarisv3-1.png

Then from this base we tried to go towards more affordable, see what could we do to make the light more affordable...

V2 - The Lumencraft Polaris Wood / Leather
Titanium and Wood
polaris-2-003.jpg

Titanium and Leather
polaris-2-002.jpg

How to get Leather sleeves obviously would have to be determined.

V1 Lumencraft Polaris HA AL
Then the most basic and affordable version would be black HA AL
polaris-1-001.jpg

Here are the specs for all 3 versions:

LED: most likely V-bin LED (3W)!!!

Battery: 123 Primary Lithium

Runtime: 40min (at max. Setting) 250h at min setting

Brightness: Regulated..smooth variable brightness adjustment by rotating the knob in the back.

Material: Titanium-Sapphire (V3) Titanium-Wood or Leather (V2) T6 Aluminum (V1)

Push Button: Yes - located in the center of the knob

Momentary function: Yes

Serial Numbers: Very Likely for the V2 and V3 versions

Size: 3.35 inches long and 0.82 inches wide. We designed the light to make it as small as possible... variable brightness and push button...

Price Target: depends.. the black HA V1 is likely be around $150 or less. The coolest sapphire version we don't know yet if we can make it happen... but that would likely be above $300... maybe close to $400 or more - we'd first need to get detailed quotes... right now its just an idea. And the V2 would be in between...

Anyway so please keep in mind that at the moment these are just renderings... and it will be the same way as it was with the GatLight, for those who followed that journey from long time ago. With the polaris, especially the sapphire version it will be where if enough people want it we'll build it.... so let us know which version you'd like, whether you'd get one, any suggestions, changes...

What I'd like to see happening is that by the time we've launched the new GatLight production round that we have a pretty good overview of the Polaris... and then depending on the feedback make it happen or not......

Hi, I just found this post and was curious to know if this light actually made it to production. If so please let me know when you get a chance. great concept and design!

Thanks
Steve

mglamb

Newly Enlightened
Steve, if you read just the posts on this page, you will have your answer. Also, the original poster hasn't logged on here in almost a year and a half, so don't hold your breath.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the biggest problem with the design would be heat dissipation. All the glass up front wouldn't do anything for that... I bet someone could engineer this light with heatpipes running down the length of the frame of the window that would transport the heat to the ti/al body....