Lumens Factory M series type bulb

adamr999

Newly Enlightened
A question for those who have been using the EO-M3T in an M6 on primaries. How long of a runtime are you getting from this particular combination?

Also, would it be fair to say that the output of the EO-M3T would fall between the MN20 & MN21 in an M6?

Thanks!

The beam characteristics are different between the MN20 and the EO-M3T, with the MN20 being larger and the EO-M3T being tighter and whiter.
Keep in mind this is speculation, but I would say the hotspot from the EO-M3T seems brighter, which is probably a result of more proper focus, but the MN20 puts out more light.

The MN21 is in a different league.:naughty:

I cannot comment on runtime, but the but the bulb hasn't blown yet.

BBL

Enlightened
The official specs are up, it cleary says 2.4A for the EO-M3T.
I measured 1.45A. Besides that, the bulb seems to work very well.

Could someone else measure the current draw of their EO-M3T?

Gordov2

Enlightened
I have to say a big thank-you to MDOCOD for his charts! They are truly helpful! I can't even begin to imagine how long that took you to put together!

Anyway, I have my LF EO-M3, and I love it on my M3-CB -- on primaries, or 17500's!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
No bent HO-M3. It just doesn't focus like the other one.
I do have the M3T. That's what my KT4 is on.
A pic really won't show anything except a bent spring. I can do a pic later if you just want to see these lamps side by side with SureFire LAs.
I'm not having any luck with turbohead lamp assemblies right now. In the past week, I also fried two MN16s(the second one last night at work) on 2x18650 that I need to post a warning about:(

Since my package obviously suffered some damage during shipping, I'm going to avoid speculating about what might have caused "this and that" about my HO-M3T, and PM Mark to see about getting some replacement LAs.

Owen, do you know what the starting voltage was on the 18650's that you used with the MN16? Were they new lamps? Which charger are you using?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starting voltage was usually around 4.25V, though there was some variance. I was using the Ultrafire WF-139 charger. I'm now using the Pila IBC charger that has consistently charged all the batteries I've tried in it to 4.19-4.21V, with the majority being dead on 4.20V. I still won't be trying another MN16. I don't see how 1/10 of a volt could make much difference in the whole scheme of things. The new charger was for the sake of my batteries, particularly the new ones that I haven't used yet, and whose performance I don't want to affect by overcharging(I was ignorant of the shortened lifetime that comes with charging over 4.2V until very recently).

btw, I received my replacement HO-M3 and HO-M3T from Lumens Factory last week. Haven't tried the HO-M3 they sent me, but am using the HO-M3T in my M3T, and it is great. The beam is very much like the N2's. Almost round, with a bit of oval as the spot fades at the edges, but with brighter and perfectly even spill, plus a larger, brighter spot (not surprising at almost double the current draw). Wonderful. The spot is actually brighter than a MN21's in a KT2 running off unprotected 18650s. 'Course the MN21 is using 2.5 times the current, has a spot three times as big, and is putting out a LOT more light...
Anyway, I liked it enough that I added another HO-M3T plus a EO-M3T to an order from Lighthound, and they should be here tomorrow.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Interesting thread. I've been using the EO-M3 in preference to the MN11, so now it's time for me to try the EO-M3T instead of the MN16.

Bushman5

Enlightened
Hi Mark@LF, do you have a High Output Cree LEd for the Wolf Eyes M100 flashlight? currently i'm using the stock 12V incandesenct lamp with 4 CR123 lithiums, but want to upgrade to a longer lasting LED.

christrose

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a couple of EO-M3T two months ago.
I have been satisfied with the brightness, beam pattern, hier color temp.
However, when I tried another one yesterday, it did not fit to my KT-4.
I measured the diameter of both, but there is no difference by my cheap calipers.
It seems like Owen's experience. Does anyone have a similar situation?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mark@LF, do you have a High Output Cree LEd for the Wolf Eyes M100 flashlight? currently i'm using the stock 12V incandesenct lamp with 4 CR123 lithiums, but want to upgrade to a longer lasting LED.
Lumens Factory is a manufactor of incandescent lamp assemblies. They don't deal with LEDs.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Getting back to Owen, who posted in June with MN16 problems with two 18650's, js and others has been cautioning people about using that setup. It just can supply to many volts to the MN16 which is rated voltage wise lower than the MN15, and is really set up for only 3XCR123 which provide a voltage sag to the MN16 requirements. The P91, essentially the same bulb as the MN16 in a different package, can have the same problems.

Bill

brunt_sp

Enlightened
So does this mean people are going to have even more problems if they are intending to use the P91 or MN16 with a BigLeef tube and two of AW's C cells.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
brunt_sp , there is the potential for the MN16 to flash, and certainly the C LiIons would hold the voltage fairly high. The MN16 with three CR123's runs at 6.8 volts and is not considered an underdriven bulb. Running the MN16 in the M6 runs it at 7.2 volts or so and two C Lions would run it at similar voltage.

Bill

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
fresh off the charger it's very possible to be up around 7.4V (or higher) into a MN16 (or equivalent) when driving with 18650s or "C" size li-ions. especially fresh off a charger. That's what's nice about the LF lamps, with target voltages of 7.2V with 20 hours life there, they are really much more tolerant to li-ion configurations. For example, a EO-M3T re-rates to about 15 hours life when dealing with "fresh" large li-ion cells, (it would deliver about 15 hours on average, of you ran it ONLY on fresh cells, meaning recharging after every few minutes of use). Whereas by my calculations, the MN16 is closer to 8-10 hours re-rated life if used in this same fashion, and what we tend to see when getting down near 10 hours re-rated life, is a lot more premature insta-flashing. This tends to be the case with many hotwire mods as well, people shoot for 10 hours life or so with halogens for that amazing white output, but they have an increased risk of instaflash.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if it's ok to over drive a 500 lumen surefire M6 bulb using 2x li-ion? I thought I read somewhere years back that it might :poof:
MN21 is a 5 Amp bulb and no protected cell can power up this guy.
It is possible to use pair of IMR which can handle this kind of current draw but depending on total resistance of flashlight and size/health of batteries, it will be severely overdriven or poof.
Some people reported poof and some happy with short run time and bulb life.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

OOOOhhhhh. Good thread. I love the new LED power, but a part of me very much misses the good old days when words like 1185 and 5761 were the hot button. So refreshing.

MN21 is a 5 Amp bulb and no protected cell can power up this guy.
It is possible to use pair of IMR which can handle this kind of current draw but depending on total resistance of flashlight and size/health of batteries, it will be severely overdriven or poof.
Some people reported poof and some happy with short run time and bulb life.

Thanks FM. I think what I'll do is just drain the cells a bit and then use my AW soft start. So far the best setup I've got for M6 is with your adapter and a wa1111 equivalent. I'm guessing this MN21 will be a Tom Brady (throws a football), but since I've got it I'll sure use it.