Hi.
Not only do I have a new bag, but also a new watch
biggrin.gif
It is this one:

827XL.jpg

The Luminox Ultimate Field 827.

Read more about it here:
http://www.luminox.com/catalog/catalog800.asp

At first I was afraid that it would be too big and clunky, but being a big boy my arms didn't look skinny with that watch equipped
smile.gif
:

Luminox02.jpg

(SF U2 for size reference)

Now to the merits and flaws ...

While surprisingly size wasn't the issue ... one thing that caught me off-guard was the fact that the third slim hand doesn't do anythnig in normal mode
huh.gif
. The seconds are done by the bottom hand of the three small hands. I still find this somewhat strange, but I am used to it now.

One thing is really unacceptable though ... the manual. First, it is almost non-existant, and second, it doesn't explain the functionality of the watch in full and is more confusing than elightening
mad.gif

While the functions of the chronograph are pretty easy to use, the manual made it way more complicated.

An annoying part is that there is no position of the crown to change date only, so you'll have to scroll through a lo of turns to set the date. Not good.

Apart from that ... the watch performs admirably. All functions are easily accessible, and the whole thing breathes quality ... at least as much quaility you can expect from a somewhat middle priced watch. It is a quartz watch after all, and not a mechanical one.

What I really like is the sapphire crystal and stainless steel case. Tough to boot. No scratches. No color to flake off. Intended for rough treatment.
An interesting thing is that you have to manually screw down the three buttons for water tightness. I was not used to this, but then again ... I never had a tactical watch either.
The leathe rstrap is a quality one, and I cannot detect any flaws from manufacturing on the watch,

And now ... most important .. the h3:

Luminox04.jpg

Wonderful. Simply amazing. I love it. Bright in the night. Always.

In the end ... although I am somewhat clueless when it comes to watches ... I am very satisfied with this one. Despite not being an expensive mechanical watch, it has quite a lot to offer for geeks like us.
I would buy it again.

And I tell you ... the girls *love* the glow ...
evilgrin07.gif
biggrin.gif

bernie

Here's what I had before:

Nomos Glashuette
"Tangente"

B54_Nomos_Tang_2.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I got this one from ebay. Even though I dislike ebax I could not let it go at $340 shippid ... which is about half the price I would have paid here. A real bargain.
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ah ... that's quite nice, too! :D

Don't you sweat like mad with those plastic bracelets?

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Nice watch-stand :D

Just for the fun I did more pics .. I like that watch :)

luminox02.jpg

You see the AR-coating quite well in this pic.

mcti04.jpg

bernie

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Very nice!!!

I want a GSAR bad but they are pricy! i was looking at the TSAR version for a few hundred less....

Is the tritium in the Luminox as bright as the gsar?

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
My Luminox Night Ops just came in. I really like it and the tritium is really cool. It glows pretty bright but not bright enough for me to capture it on film like the pics above.....wonder if it's just my camera.....

Anyhow, here it is (accompanied by the Syderco Native III and Raven)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Can just about see the tritium glow here....

orig.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Bill97z said:
Is the tritium in the Luminox as bright as the gsar?
The Trits in the GSAR are brighter than my plain Luminox, but te Trits in my Ti Luminox (Pictured above), are WAY brighter than the GSAR. Almost like B@rts trits in there!

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Nomos. Too bad you got rid of it. Step down, IMHO. I had the exact same Luminox as reviewed except mine had the black dial. I loved the crown and overall construction. I think I remember really liking the AR coating on the crystal. But I was displeased with the operation of the watch and the puny/dim tritium tubes. My Marathon was far brighter and my Ball is even brighter still. So I sent it back and haven't regretted it at all. Also, nowadays I can't buy a quartz watch that doesn't have a perpetual calendar. I don't mind it with mechanicals because its a given that you'll have to mess with the watch, but not with a "worry free" quartz.

I want to pick up one of those Tangentes some times. Its stunning and would make a an excellent addition as a dress watch to my stable...

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:
The Trits in the GSAR are brighter than my plain Luminox, but te Trits in my Ti Luminox (Pictured above), are WAY brighter than the GSAR. Almost like B@rts trits in there!

Interesting....what makes them brighter? the size of the tubes?

My luminox brightness is decent but the markers are small. I want to pick up a watch that is mad bright with tritium.....the search begins!

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Hi.
Not only do I have a new bag, but also a new watch
biggrin.gif
It is this one:

827XL.jpg

The Luminox Ultimate Field 827.

Read more about it here:
http://www.luminox.com/catalog/catalog800.asp

At first I was afraid that it would be too big and clunky, but being a big boy my arms didn't look skinny with that watch equipped
smile.gif
:

Luminox02.jpg

(SF U2 for size reference)

Now to the merits and flaws ...

While surprisingly size wasn't the issue ... one thing that caught me off-guard was the fact that the third slim hand doesn't do anythnig in normal mode
huh.gif
. The seconds are done by the bottom hand of the three small hands. I still find this somewhat strange, but I am used to it now.

One thing is really unacceptable though ... the manual. First, it is almost non-existant, and second, it doesn't explain the functionality of the watch in full and is more confusing than elightening
mad.gif

While the functions of the chronograph are pretty easy to use, the manual made it way more complicated.

An annoying part is that there is no position of the crown to change date only, so you'll have to scroll through a lo of turns to set the date. Not good.

Apart from that ... the watch performs admirably. All functions are easily accessible, and the whole thing breathes quality ... at least as much quaility you can expect from a somewhat middle priced watch. It is a quartz watch after all, and not a mechanical one.

What I really like is the sapphire crystal and stainless steel case. Tough to boot. No scratches. No color to flake off. Intended for rough treatment.
An interesting thing is that you have to manually screw down the three buttons for water tightness. I was not used to this, but then again ... I never had a tactical watch either.
The leathe rstrap is a quality one, and I cannot detect any flaws from manufacturing on the watch,

And now ... most important .. the h3:

Luminox04.jpg

Wonderful. Simply amazing. I love it. Bright in the night. Always.

In the end ... although I am somewhat clueless when it comes to watches ... I am very satisfied with this one. Despite not being an expensive mechanical watch, it has quite a lot to offer for geeks like us.
I would buy it again.

And I tell you ... the girls *love* the glow ...
evilgrin07.gif
biggrin.gif

bernie

Here's what I had before:

Nomos Glashuette
"Tangente"

B54_Nomos_Tang_2.jpg

What kind of camera did you use to take those pics? AN SLR?

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill97Z...to make your trit's glow in the photos, just put a little UV light on 'em when taking the photos. They'll light right up!

PJD

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Ugh....now you are gonna make me buy a UV inova!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I used exposure times up to several seconds in a nearly dark environment :D

Luminox04.jpg

Look at the bottom small hand in the tritium glow pic ... showing the seconds ... it is all blurry from the long exposure.

This one ...

luminox02.jpg

... was luck. It was shot in overcast daylight outside with short exposures, relatively speaking.

Unfortunately I am no photo expert. I usually make several dozen and use one :sick2:

bernie

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, my camera must just suck. I really need to get an SLR!

If I use an F1.8 - 2.3 and a long shutter speed (second or more), even in almost total darkness, the picture result is a super bright blury pic.

I'll have to practice, but the tritium in my watch doesn't really show that well until the watch is in complete darkness. Looking for a brighter glow! haha

T

Tactical candle

I used to have this one but recently sold on another gunboard. I still missed it!

DSCN1924.jpg

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an 822 myself (picked it up here in fact). The non-moving second hand and the split-second hand on the chrono really threw me off when I first got it. I had to email Luminox back and forth a couple times to get it figured out. I really like this watch, but I don't wear it terribly often. I'm a fairly low-key dresser, so this shiny watch feels a big gaudy sometimes. I really want to get a Traser BD Chrono.