Lumintop ED20 (XM-L, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1) Riding a bike
2) EDC
3) use in the household and campaigns
Now choose between 2 models T11 and Klarus Lumintop ED20.
For me, it is important that the light was broad.
I would think the ED20 is a good choice for all of the above. It has the broadest beam of the lights you mention, and excellent efficiency.

Partizan302

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your reply! I am interesting in comparison of Lumintop ED20 and Thrunite TN12?? Which one is made better quality? Which one has the biggest range of luminosity and width of the side illumination?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you for your reply! I am interesting in comparison of Lumintop ED20 and Thrunite TN12?? Which one is made better quality? Which one has the biggest range of luminosity and width of the side illumination?
Both seem well made to me. The TN12 has a narrower spillbeam, but is driven to a higher level on max (with lower runtime to match). See my TN12 review for more info.

Partizan302

Newly Enlightened
Can I use this flashlight batteries 18 650 without protection against overdischarge?? At what voltage the battery is switched off the flashlight?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Can I use this flashlight batteries 18 650 without protection against overdischarge?? At what voltage the battery is switched off the flashlight?
I am not aware of any flashlight circuit over-discharge protection for Li-ions in this light - you would need to check with Lumintop to confirm. Personally, I recommend the use of protected cells in all lights.

But in this case, looking at the runtimes, I notice the built-in battery protection circuits were not tripped (i.e. I manually stopped the runs once output at dropped to really low levels). That would suggest you could run unprotected cells to the point that brightness dropped significantly. Personally, I wouldnt want to run cells that low as a matter of course - you are best to frequently recharge your cells to avoid that from happening.

Partizan302

Newly Enlightened
Asked for technical support. The answer quoted below:

"Hi Ivan:Many thanks for your email.ED20 will be off if the battery voltage lower than 2.8V, so if you useunprotected cell 18650 will over-discharge protected.If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.Thanks & Best Regards,MikeLumintop Technology Co., LimitedSkype: myday_cnMSN Messanger: [email protected]Mobile: +86-139-22868783WEB: www.lumintop.com "

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
Can't seem to find a US dealer selling a neutral. Anyone know of one?
Hi, did you manage to get a NW version of the light?
If so, how is the tint?
Also how do you like the light?

Thanks!

Last edited:

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
So I pulled the trigger on the Ed20 in T5 Neutral. It arrived today from hkequipment and immediately failed on me out of the box, brand new. As soon as I entered high mode, the light started to flicker consistantly to varying degrees (not PWM). If I leave it on high for a bit, it seems to get better. I have cleaned all the threads and contact points with 70% rubbing alcohol, and checked to make sure the switch inside the tail cap was screwed in tight. I believe the switch might be faulty, what else could there be? I'm new to flashlights, so I might have overlooked something.

There is also a very slight movement with the circuit board located in the head. This movement, although very slight, makes me a little uneasy. Is this normal? I hope Selfbuilt still follows up on his older threads. :mecry: Can someone confirm this slight movement with me? Contacting Lumintop regarding these problems, I will post updates to their customer service.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I believe the switch might be faulty, what else could there be? I'm new to flashlights, so I might have overlooked something.
A common source of "flickering" in any light is circuit failure. You can rule out the tailswitch by making contact across the rear of the battery and the body tube with a blunt piece of metal instead. I would definitely take advantage of the warranty service if you can't fully resolve the issue - it is likely only to get worse over time, not better.

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks SB,

It's a real shame because either than that, I really like the light. The neutral tint is very nice, and I like the feel of the light in your hand with the rubber cigar grip. Knurling is decent, and thread action is smooth. I just read Lumintop's warranty policy and it isn't too good. I have to pay shipping both ways (from Canada to HK, and back) so Lumintop can provide me with the product I should've had to begin with, and switches aren't covered under the warranty :thumbsdow. So the $50 I paid for it might as well be $100, and I have to play the mail back your light to Hong Kong and wait for it game :laughing:. IMO, for a company as new as Lumintop is, they should offer a much better warranty service if they want to make a name for themselves. Although I purchased it from hkequipment, it was through Ebay. I still haven't heard anything back from them for 2 days now. Looks like I'm the only one complaining, so maybe I just got unlucky. After bypassing the switch with a paperclip, I'm confident it's a defective switch. There was still some slight flickering on high output with the bypass, but my hand was a little shaky. Tried very hard not to move the paperclip, but the slightest movement caused it to flicker, and change modes because of the UI. The bypass was still substantially better than the tail cap, so it is probably a defective switch.

SB, in your Lumintop ED20, did you notice a slight movement with the board in the head. The edge of the circuit board sits snug on one side, but I can move it up and down with my finger (about 1-2mm) on the opposite side edge from where it sits snug. Just wondering if this is normal to the brand, or if this is a tolerance issue? Heck maybe even the cause of the flicker for all I know. :laughing:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
SB, in your Lumintop ED20, did you notice a slight movement with the board in the head. The edge of the circuit board sits snug on one side, but I can move it up and down with my finger (about 1-2mm) on the opposite side edge from where it sits snug. Just wondering if this is normal to the brand, or if this is a tolerance issue? Heck maybe even the cause of the flicker for all I know. :laughing:
There is no play on the circuit board in the head of my sample (nor would I expect there to be). It may or may not be related to your problem.

If the switch is the culprit, you could see about just getting a replacement switch - a lot cheaper than shipping the whole light back and forth. Changing a switch is fairly easy, with a pair of snap ring pliers or sturdy tweezers to under the retaining ring on the inside of the tailcap. If you don't hear from the dealer or manufacturer, you could try some of the members on CPFMP who might be able to hook you up with an appropriately sized switch. A number of the discount deal sites also sell parts - you may be able to find something there too (again, if the dealer/manufacturer doesn't come through).