Lumintop Tool Ti (Nichia 219BT, 1xAAA, Titanium) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is interesting to note that Seiko quit using capacitors in their kinetic watches because they found they fail too readily due to overuse, not enough use, and heat. Their solution was to utilize a small rechagreable lithium ion cell which has proven more reliable. Either will still need replacing though.

For a small EDC I am inclined to think that the mechanical switch is utilimately a more desirable option for me.
Kudos to Lumintop for experimenting, I do hope they hold up well in use.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Is "battery U2" the … battery in the switch?)
Yes!
Rocking job on the patent search

IMG_2511.JPG

my interpretations:

the parasitic drain of the switch is powered by a LiIon
there is an automatic charging circuit in the switch, that recharges the LiIon, from the AAA, when the parasitic drain draws the LiIon battery below a preset level.

It took about 10 minutes after I put my first AAA into my TiTool, before I could use High Mode.. probably because the LiIon had fallen below operational voltage and needed recharging before it could power High Mode..

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey look at that Ultratac K18 Stainless Steel AAA side-clicky keychain light in there.
I see you've even provided your test results for it.
Thanks a bunch!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
TiTool on Sale

boogietrain said:
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_326612.html
use coupon code 219BT and it should come down to $36.99.

F. Premens

Newly Enlightened
Good review. ;)

What happens if the switch battery dies? It's there any replacement?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ho|a premens, afaik is the switch battery pseudo-rechargeable. it won't die if you let it recharge by the AAA battery.

Wendee

Enlightened
ho|a premens, afaik is the switch battery pseudo-rechargeable. it won't die if you let it recharge by the AAA battery.

I wonder about the switch battery dying too. Since it's an actual "battery", won't it eventually stop being able to take a charge, like all rechargeable batteries?
I'm thinking my Lumintop Tool Ti will die in about 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think the switch battery (capacitor, or whatever it's called) will last forever?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder about the switch battery dying too. Since it's an actual "battery", won't it eventually stop being able to take a charge, like all rechargeable batteries?
I'm thinking my Lumintop Tool Ti will die in about 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think the switch battery (capacitor, or whatever it's called) will last forever?
I'm not sure if it will die on only 2-3 years, but the whole thing makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't solve any problem. Instead of a slow parasitic draw on the battery the whole time it puts a higher draw on the cell for a few days to charge the internal battery then less. Either way it's taking energy from the battery. "Laundering" the energy through another circuit and mini rechargeable battery is bound to be less efficient than just pulling it from the AAA directly. So, unless you use one AAA battery to charge the internal battery and then put in a different AAA battery a few days later after the internal battery is charged this whole scheme hasn't helped anything.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: Would a good silicon greasing reduce/prevent the galling of the threads? Also, you said Nichia 219B version had a Neutral White tint. What does that mean in terms of degrees K?

Massdrop is currently running a drop for this light. $37.99 + $2.15 for shipping. The drop ends tomorrow though.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti is gritty as a twisty, no matter how you lubricate it. The led is about 4500k

but the TiTool is less efficient than copper tool, if you use high mode

see this for more info

fwiw the ReyLight TiTool starts on low instead of medium. And the low is 1 lumen instead of 3 lumen. If those details matter to you.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure if it will die on only 2-3 years, but the whole thing makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't solve any problem. Instead of a slow parasitic draw on the battery the whole time it puts a higher draw on the cell for a few days to charge the internal battery then less. Either way it's taking energy from the battery. "Laundering" the energy through another circuit and mini rechargeable battery is bound to be less efficient than just pulling it from the AAA directly. So, unless you use one AAA battery to charge the internal battery and then put in a different AAA battery a few days later after the internal battery is charged this whole scheme hasn't helped anything.
Yes, I'm afraid I think this design is questionable as well. Not only that I've found it to be an energy waster and I suspect it is responsible for much of the reduced runtime of the Ti vs the copper. My testing shows that even when the switch is ON the light is never as bright as a direct short of the tail. That means that even in the ON position it has a resistance that is just wasted power. I've also found the switched gets flaky well be for the battery is exhausted for use in other lights. So while I really like the switch action and the size I would never EDC this light as my primary user. I still like to use it around the house and I'll take it as a third light some times (I always carry 2). It will be interesting to see how it ages, maybe someone will give the definitive answer soon on whether the storage device is super-capacitor or battery, but I'm leaning towards battery as it takes too long to charge to be a super-capacitor unless they have really, really restricted the charge circuit.

This is one light though even with it's more serious flaws, I really like. From the flawed switch, the very nice LED, the brass & ti mix, the very nice engraving....

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Still really enjoying this light... My primary carry now.... I only use the Medium mode and just pretend it's a single mode light. : D

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
I've just ordered some of this to replace my Olight i3S (primary EDC) and came across this thread about the futuristic switch :shrug:. Is there any fix to this yet?

TIA

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I've just ordered some of this to replace my Olight i3S (primary EDC) and came across this thread about the futuristic switch :shrug:. Is there any fix to this yet?

TIA

What is it that needs fixing?

The light functions fine....

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
The issues that's been mentioned previously by the other members here?

I'm more concerned with the parasitic drain (how quickly will it drain the AAA Nimh) and if the battery switch is replaceable?

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issues that's been mentioned previously by the other members here?

I'm more concerned with the parasitic drain (how quickly will it drain the AAA Nimh) and if the battery switch is replaceable?

I respect your concerns. Its up to you to make the call on whether the other features of this light are compelling to you.

fwiw, I believe the concensus, after long discussion, is that the device in the switch, that charges up and is used to fire High Mode, is a capacitor, not a battery. I found that somewhat less concerning.

as far as "the issues",
the switch requires a AAA to be in place for more than 20 minutes on a brand new empty light. Also high mode is not as efficient as in the copper model. If you use the light primarily on medium or low, these are not necessarily reasons to pass up a really cool titanium light.

the switch is good enough for maukka to choose to use on the copper tool he carries. he obviously has enough knowledge to not fear the switch.

imo an AAA light with Constant Current and High CRI in Titanium is nothing to sneeze at for under $25. It does not have to be for everyone. I for example, prefer the Copper version :)

Do whatever makes you happy, let us know if you try the Ti
it has a great form factor imo, though I find the switch a bit small..
I really like the keyring connection, and the fact that Ti is light for keyring, and it is Shiny Bling :)
Y54fWolWPbBBntO5gKqeee_N7OMBWhSFOYT_Itmgl-AAmVrFEA5tR0U4luEZ8pU2NhfPIJieMlixTHC7jGf05yPQvZXlmdja-2iZpInpzzEsvt7ZBFM67Ga43SQOVLnYvjEkqLQ86K9Tb0xPhKQpg3iAeUeJSo37HXD1hJq03u9x8C7G_MNhEVUdjERRaH1jXXqoYCV3o4HuH_cPBJYqDnlVhFTlQ9VvM3lLaiT4kBq349qHCcgwrVQbtpP_aLfMpmnk36U1DQsHFmXPa9jd28CPVtho9tabaWCuZq3mi01zNwtUKPU0kiqGDjkxg4H4D377s2b_3dZtsNfDtI48l2bN8JIbx0ZvUxPGY0ajWwnbLPCRXCKhHtF1S7Tox_dKDzTnvSosBpoEDl3xb_fUGMmjOTatu5Qo-e7aojV1aD8LC8NSTmkckdOQa78cLuBQTFxb_SKmxRyQrq3XqO-b6PuclWIcKwl7J9A8kSTNQTTcIv8OSPNB8fdhYT9cJQbKAPjkBVchk28b6IbpXqD90XjXpzpO-TJ5rmv_exsO51iLGXW_peac2BilDRGxN8q5PspEixl_A6mj036BSMggzAD9aTNu0s8jFrdTz5qpPhBet1cz=w1144-h858-no

to your concern of replacing the switch.. by then you will probably have your eyes on some new model.. also, even if the Tiswitch fails, the light can still work as a twisty or with other Tool heads
why worry? be happy! :)
SDeQsjFr7AY8wFY1lmXhmrkwtZVBrBGmBwLpBbOpNLGsAA0wYqSOuncL0zhglgbHZKxESgCUJY7jG1TRfv98N3Tgu5w45yAw_otXhR_5bTeFkazoJxqjP4hqiFJlnKy_5UCcxWc2U6tFoaw3Xh7hWfLM8nkWz_w96XyE591mYK5vYkL1HxzUGN1BNKEmv82fimuyWftBdt-afC99G_-w2DKtKodOPgCZh9I3Y49Ig4Jmwdok8hU1iqKQFliWW4-NwuXpXkTc96guGJG1mRgfdMLLB_nPKKUbFZdHY_N91W8w4avaAYr4L_N4vKfWSF99d1ylOK07myMFo4yCMC1UWFPCJeXbEJyN8T3BQFQZ53YqTEMfduL9w5i2s9h_pG7czHrtUkdCkp6o1Pz3CWst2nukhp3v1JNjkrjUqitvifn08QBkeUWXaYdq6N8jLDba01xZ4lQjCLBOyFZyR9jnF-N5yAYTIU0gmoB8Sv-f_8Dd--aNlx1ji0hnJJq7r1Rvty0-Z4Z_cggYKRXoWNilbW5cinXdVEBXIzA6EJcecgu7Z-7gpXO1NWjcFdCbSwb3EaM4htIwpdpwu3pmnUgCQa4VPTGHcTlHEN8WRZDLRfpzFW0Q=w1144-h858-no

Last edited:

zingers

Newly Enlightened
What is your opinion of the switch? Great review as always!
Can I throw my two cents in here? I bought 3 thinking that it would be great to have a clicky in AAA form. But the distance between the switch and the body in this light is tiny, so tiny I can't get my calipers in there. But other stuff can get in, like lint and dust. And some got in. I had to blow it out with air to restore the smoothness. I think it was sand. I love the size and a small tail switch, but that threw me off the light a little. The twisties can just be wiped off, but you need a compressor to clean this one out. And that has never happened with rubber clickies ( although it has happened to the ring on the SRT 3 too). I did a small review on Amazon referencing CPF and selfbuilt but I am going to change my rating because of this.

Latest posts