Mag changed their incan bulb!

Illum

Flashaholic
I dont think that those lamps would be suitable for flashlights, in most circumstances.

Well, no. you are correct. I was merely making a point that these lamps are not proprietary such that there are vendors marketing lamps having identical pin pitches :) The guy a couple posts before me thought Maglites made the change so that customers must buy from Mag Instruments simply because the lamps were proprietary :green:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, these bulbs are known as MagnumStar II and are (or will be) offered as a conversion kit for PR Mags, with a PR-bipin adapter:
See http://flashlightsunlimited.com/magbulbs.htm
MagnumStarIIPackage_square.png

Which raises two questions...

1. With a mica disk cut to fit (as used in the classic 1160 MagCharger upgrade), doesn't this make the 3xLi-ion Mag85 even more ridiculously easy than ever? Still need a metal reflector, but since Litho123 sells all of 1185+reflector+heatshield, it's a single order, and under $40. (Plus batteries to suit -- 26500s for 2D or 26650/32650 for 3D.) I could almost see this pushing the ROP right out of the market.

Cue the cold sweat. ;)

2. The Magnum Star II is a G4 (0.7mm pins, 4mm spacing) base -- but MR16s are GX5.3 (1.5mm pins, 5.3mm spacing). I wonder whether either the MSII PR-adapter or the speculated newstyle-LED-like version can be persuaded to accept these? If so, that's even easier, since they bring their own reflector and have minimal heat coming out the bottom...

OK, at least the PR-adapter looks unlikely -- I think the contacts are cylindrical rather than two flat springs -- but hard to say without one in hand. Still, wouldn't it be hilarious if Mag, with all their silly anti-mod stance, accidentally made 4-cell MR16 mods dead easy?

Oh my, this won't be the Age of Aquarius, it will be the Age of Polaris. (Was that mod named after one of the Polaris rockets, or the star they were named after?)

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Well, no. you are correct. I was merely making a point that these lamps are not proprietary such that there are vendors marketing lamps having identical pin pitches :) The guy a couple posts before me thought Maglites made the change so that customers must buy from Mag Instruments simply because the lamps were proprietary :green:

Well, yes, and the vast majority of purchasers will buy replacement bulbs from Maglite. Mag Instuments does not care about a tiny, insignificant number of purchasers who are capable of finding appropriate bulbs with the proper pin configuration. PR bulbs are available everywhere, from various manufacturers/distributors. Try going to the local grocery store, Walmart, Target, Home depot, Lowes, etc. and finding the right bi-pin bulb, other than the one displayed conveniently beside the other Maglite products. Sorry, flashaholics don't count. Joe schmoe Maglite purchasers were who this flashlight was designed for. Not us. Mag Instruments will pull in in excess of five hundred million dollars this year. At any given time there are less than a hundred or so CPF'ers viewing "Incandescent flashlights", "Homemade and Modified Lights Discussion", etc. Get it now? My point wasn't weather an enterprising flashaholic with a vast fund of flashlight related knowledge could source a replacement bulb from somewhere else, but would the other 99 point whatever percent of Maglite purchasers even bother trying. Mag instruments already has the answer. Hence the new design. In this sense they are essentially proprietary. Mag Knows its customer base and it isn't us. They spend a ton of money making sure they market to their base. It's easy to get tunnel vision when you hang out on a flashlight forum. :shrug:

Quest AKA "The Guy"

P.S. I wish I had a really cool nickname, like threadkiller. It Rocks! :poke:

Last edited:

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Beamhead put that there over a largely overblown dispute on cpfchat, to date I have not figured out how to take it off. It was added to my user name around the same time he discovered his crabs...

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. Just as funny today as it was back then! :laughing:

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Wow, these have already invaded my Wally Worlds already. Some older PR based still remain, but these are getting replaced fast. I'll be sure to squirrel a few away before it is too late.

Empire

Banned
HOLY SHI........NGLES, Yes Shingles

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course it makes not much sense to just guess,
but that bulb HOLDER benson linked in post #40 seems to be from the same material the holders of 12 V Bi-Pins are made

means: burn that thing, it will not melt

--> 3D w. rechargeables and Stinger bulb, or something like this ...

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D w. rechargeables and Stinger bulb, or something like this ...
Stinger and Strion bulbs are not G4 and won't fit in mentioned bi-pin bulb holder.
You can possibly use G4 M*gCharger bulb with 5 NiMH "C" cells in 4D M*g or overdrive same bulb in 2D M*g and 2x18650
:twothumbs

H-Man

Enlightened
It dosn't look to be a G4 bulb. I tried it, the pins are way too close to be G4.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
While doing a search for the specifications for the Minimag bulbs I found a website that sells the MagnumStar II bulbs for two, three, four, five, and six cell MagLites. The MagnumStar bulbs for the six cell Mag is rated at 178 lumens.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
While doing a search for the specifications for the Minimag bulbs I found a website that sells the MagnumStar II bulbs for two, three, four, five, and six cell MagLites. The MagnumStar bulbs for the six cell Mag is rated at 178 lumens.

Do they actually have the ones for 3 cells available? I also found a website, but it says that they will start being available next year...

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the site I found again, all of the bulbs except the 3-cell are available now. The 3-cell is expected Q1 of 2013.

Thanks, thats what I thought. I've been to that site, they have all the older bulbs too...

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
I just stuffed a 2 cell bulb into a 2AA minimag with no modification save boring the reflector out. Drawing .76A off two mostly charged NiMH's this is a pretty nice improvement over the regular bulbs. This would be exciting with a 6 cell and a couple 14500s!

Overall I'm pleased with the new offerings. They are much easier to center too because one can just noodge the bulb instead of bending a PR base.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Is the larger bulb able to be focused at all by the minimag reflector? I agree, I'd really like to do this with a 6 cell bulb as well, but I would be concerned that the added heat would melt the plastic reflector... can you (or anyone else) weigh in on that?

I just stuffed a 2 cell bulb into a 2AA minimag with no modification save boring the reflector out. Drawing .76A off two mostly charged NiMH's this is a pretty nice improvement over the regular bulbs. This would be exciting with a 6 cell and a couple 14500s!

Overall I'm pleased with the new offerings. They are much easier to center too because one can just noodge the bulb instead of bending a PR base.