• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mag D Incan Driver - Soft Start & Multi-Brightness

flashfiend

Enlightened
What batteries are you using? The FM1909 bulb is super robust and doesn't really 'need' a soft start (using 3 li-ions = 12.6v). The 1909 flashes at 13.0v. The AW soft start is really only useful if you want levels with your bulb. Now if you have the FM 3D-4AA holder which would the need bored out bodies you would have 16.8v and a soft start would not save the bulb anyways. Just curious what the setup is?

Just noticed you are going to use 8x NiZn. That would be 14.4v at full charge and I think this would still flash the bulb even with the soft start unless you plan to drain the batteries with the soft start before unleashing the full juice.

Last edited:

Battery Guy

Enlightened
What batteries are you using? The FM1909 bulb is super robust and doesn't really 'need' a soft start (using 3 li-ions = 12.6v). The 1909 flashes at 13.0v. The AW soft start is really only useful if you want levels with your bulb. Now if you have the FM 3D-4AA holder which would the need bored out bodies you would have 16.8v and a soft start would not save the bulb anyways. Just curious what the setup is?

Just noticed you are going to use 8x NiZn. That would be 14.4v at full charge and I think this would still flash the bulb even with the soft start unless you plan to drain the batteries with the soft start before unleashing the full juice.

With the 8X NiZn cells, the initial voltage of the pack under load is actually ~13.6 V with a discharge current of ~5.8 amps. After 5 seconds, the pack voltage is <12.8 V. I am hoping that the soft start will get me through that first 5 seconds where the pack voltage is higher than the flash voltage of the bulb.

Oh, and I also want the multiple brightness settings.

Oh, and I also want the flexibility to experiment with other battery/bulb combinations.

Cheers!
BG

AW

Newly Enlightened
Well, you can drain off the excess voltage by turning on to 'Low' for sometime before turning on 'High'.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Hey AW!

It's been about three weeks since my last post. Want you to know that there is still a lot of interest in these drivers. Can you give us an update?

Cheers,
BG

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
I would like to state my interest as well. Would be cool to turn my 6D ROP into a multi-level "something" with non-potted bulbs.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

I have just talked to the machine shop but no good news yet. I 'll consider using another shop to get things going.

Regards,
AW

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have found another machine shop and they are working on the switch cases. If all goes well, the D switches will be available in about 4 - 5 weeks.

Nokoff

Enlightened
AW I skimmed a few years of posts...I see you use pwm for your levels; is there still no regulation? I think with regulation this driver would rule. ty