Mag failed me stories

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on, spill the beans. I want to know about Darrell's "Uh Oh" video. (Please, pretty please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

CM

Termac

Newly Enlightened
Mag failures:
#1.

I'm at home. Late evening. Power goes out. No problem, get the minimag. It gets dark. I go about the house with the minimag. Bulb expires. Standing there in the pitch black, and I have to change bulbs. Go to the big West facing window looking for light. Take the spare out of the cap and mangle the the wires trying to instal. Try to straighten and start over. Over and over. Changing bulbs in the minimag is not something you can do in the black.

#2.

First night of extended backpacking trip. Years before the LED. Partner and I both using minimags. I have fresh bulbs in the mag and two spares in the pack. Late into forested camp. Doing tasks, partners bulb expires. By the light of my mag he installs his only spare. Later that night I'm using my mag in candle mode. I destroy my bulb putting the cap back on. One night and one third of out total capacity lost. 7 nights to go...

jtice

Flashaholic
ut ohhhhhh,,, the POS failed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a 5-cell bulb as the spare in a 2D that I bought (and modded with a 5W RB). The correct 2-cell bulb was yellow and dim enough. I can't imagine how much the 5-cell spare would have sucked. So a failure in M.I.'s QC.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightbulb roulette is my biggest complaint about the reliability of the stupid things. I have bought more bulbs for a 1986 2D and a 1988 green mini than I have lost complete flashlights. I have purchased enough bulbs for the 2D to double it's original price in '86 of around $30.

Tailcap continuity is second. Always have to unscrew the thing and re tighten it to keep the beam for what Mag considers bright. (not)

Why is it that the bulbs/batteries always fail when you are using the light for a real prupose? If I just want to see if the wall is still there, it works every time. But to check out that strange noise under the hood at 11 pm? darkness.

After my third or fifth new bulb I thought to myself "Self, I don't use this thing often and I replace bulbs after three or four battery changes. How could a Police officer tolerate such gimpy behaviour." Now I know better.

Since I am an engineer I haven't used it in any critical encounters past maintenance. More often than not it would blow when I needed to use it.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bart, thanks for the video and comic relief. This place cracks me up!

CM

Screehopper

Enlightened
We were conducting some field work in the middle of the night and out of 6 mini-mags in our stash, 5 failed within a period of 4 days of usage.

My personal 3D mag had water damage. Water entered the head and the water damage left the reflector with 75% of the reflective surface gone. I kept the it around until the on/off button no longer worked.

I no longer use maglites. Whatever stash of maglites I had I gave away.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Bart.

"Hmm, Oooo, Uh Oh is right!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That was worth logging in for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
I've had nothing but good experiences with my mags.

Good qualitly lights as far as I'm concerned.

The solitare does suck though.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solitare--It seemed like every time I turned it on, the bulb blew, the battery was dead or it was so dim it wasn't good for anything.

Mini--I've had quite a few of these. Usually the bulb blew when you needed it most. I have no real issues about the quality of the light itself, but I think the twist-the-head-to-focus was a joke. It was only good for a few feet away anyways.

Full size C's and D's--I didn't like the old switch mechanism or the tail cap. I guess they were fine in the 80's.

Story-- Before led's were for anything but indicator lights, my m!n!-mag and my GI crookneck were my only light sources for a number of weeks for a training mission. My m!n!'s bulb blew the second night--no problem. I put the spare in and while putting the head on by the light of my green filterd crookneck *CRUNCH*. I had crushed the bulb. While most of the guys in my squad had their m!n!, nobody had a spare 'cuz most had already busted theirs in the first two days. Simply amazing.

The croockneck was a workhorse for the next few weeks. The bulb never blew and I never had to change the batts. All from a $6.50 lowest bidder GI light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I know, not very exciting, but it does show the quality of a "cheap" light.

-Jason

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used minigags pretty exclusively back when I was a bouncer, they were cheap and I could buy a half dozen at $7 or $8 a piece at Osco Drug in Boston when they had a sale. I can't pin down any one particular moments when they failed there were many and I remember throwing out a bunch of the crappy sheaths. Bulbs blew when you needed them most and I actually lost a few when they burned out while set down on then I couldn't find them in the dark and when I went back later they would have been picked up by someone in the club who happened upon them, they gave a crappy yellow light with wierd artifacts and ate batteries like there's no tommorrow. sometimes you had to wack em to get 'em to work or restore brightness. I do remember thinking they were crap for such a well respected light. I had and still have as a kind of collector's item a Blue anodized Varibeam 3D made by Mag Instrument prior to the adoption of the Maglite trademarked name, it has a natural aluminum lens ring and tailcap and the info is rotary embossed into the Aluminum rather than etched, it's basically one of the first production Mag's (same shape and switch and focus function) and was truly innovative for the late ' 70's or early ' 80's when it was purchased, funny thing is that the latest Mag's work as well as this one which isn't saying much, this one suffers from intermittant function as well as dimming that requires the "wack", yellow beam with artifacts also.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Before bright LEDs and SureFires, I had some big Mags. A five cell C and a six cell D Mag. I busted the C cell Mag just by putting batteries in it. That black thing that holds the switch and lampholder broke in two, so the light would no longer turn on. When the head was removed, the bulb was tilted at a funny angle. I don't remember if somebody stole it or if I threw it out; but I don't have it anymore. The 6 D Mag was in a car that was ripped off in 1987, so I don't have that one anymore either.

The 5 C Mag that I have now (I know it's around here someplace!) is missing the rubber cover for its switch; otherwise it works alright.

The Mags I have now all have LED modules in them; I don't think I have a single OEM one anymore.

Tombeis

Enlightened
I have a 6D that I used to drive tent pegs.

One cold wet night I was setting up camp when the Mag's head slipped off a wet tent peg, hit my thumb and broke it.

Why doesn't Mag Knurl the entire head of their D series lights to prevent this kind of accident?

revbnc

Newly Enlightened
I have a AAA minimag that everytime I put new bulbs in it they light for about 2 seconds and blow. I contacted Mag via email and actually receivd a very cordial letter stating if I give them my information they would send me two packs of free bulbs as the old ones could not handle the power being delivered by todays batteries. 4 months and no bulbs. I think I will drop a 3 mm led in instead.

I think Mag Lights stands for. M-akers A-gainst G-ood Lights.

They also stated in the email they were coming out with an LED version this summer. Haven't seen that yet either.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Trustly Solitare served me faithfully actually for about 1000 years. I was constantly putting in a new bulb and I probably replaced the battery every third use (Eew...so yellow..must need a new battery) Well we all know what low battery does to a bulb. Makes it turn yellow AND turns the glass black, that's why I'd change the bulb a lot too, but heck--find me a better keychain light and I'd use it. Enter CPF. Arc AAA. Don't even know where my Solitare is.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot of consumers buy D M*gs and become a little frustrated when they try to buy a replacement bulb from the place they bought the original flashlight. That is why I think I've never heard anyone recommend going to Wally World to get a bulb. I'm sure some stores somewhere have the correct bulb but, in general, they are low on stock so the correct bulb is usually not available.

So, the end-cap replacement is used. Maybe it is just paranoia ("It is not paranoia if they are all after you") but it seems like the end-cap replacement bulb is designed to fail when you most need it.

On M!n!-M*gs, mine are all now powered by BBs and MMs. When I had rice-seed incan bulbs this is how I blew them: If I needed a light for a nocturnal adventure to the terlot, I enjoyed reaching for one on the night stand and knocking it over to hear it roll along and fall two feet to a carpted floor and just know the bulb had blown. It really pissed me off which was OK in that scenario. Later, I would replace the bulb with, of course, the end cap replacement.

If I had a rough day the following week I used to like to come home and stare real hard at the M!n!-M*g with it's 'good' replacement bulb. I would just focus my eyes on it and could blow up the bulb. I tried this technique on other equally irritating objects and, admittedly, a very few people but it only worked on a M!n!-M*g.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Enter CPF....

[/ QUOTE ]
And DARELL, if I remember correctly. Well, Darell, and then Don, actually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Man, Bart keeps everything, doesn't he? Glad I kept that vid up on my site. Remember that was quite some time ago. "Uh-oh" was a good 25% of my dauther's vocabulary back then, so this brings back memories. Lots has changed since then. I'm now much better looking for example, and I even got a new piece of plywood for my destruction tests. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That Minimag was my very first one ever, and after replacing the bulb, it still sits on my flashlight shelf with new batteries. I use it when anybody gets blase about my other lights. HERE is what we USED to think was pretty damn good...

That vid was made as a response to somebody who told me that the Minimag was every bit as durable as the Arc AAA. I take challenges personally.

I believe that was the first installment of the Mr. Science series.

That was fun!

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Man, Bart keeps everything, doesn't he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I just remember fun stuff... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
Sears Hardware has a good selection of Mag lamps.

They think so much of the Mini-Mag they lock them to the display board.