Mag11 bulb explosion

Warhoggie

Enlightened
:thinking: Excuse me for asking a noob question, but are you guys using the word 'explosion' loosely to define a 'popped' bulb? The word explosion conjures up blown flashlight len or glass shrapnels everywhere.

I had a Big D bulb that went south, and some white powder is left on the reflector, with bits of glass from the bulb. Is that what you guys call 'explosion'?

juancho

Enlightened
LeDfLaShEr said:
The head of my light looks undamaged....however, I haven't cleaned it out yet. There is still a thick white film over the reflector and the head is filled with tiny pieces of glass from the bulb. The lens appears okay, but it pretty dirty/filmy so it's hard to be certain.

Most likely will look like this!!:awman: :rant:

reflectordamaged.jpg

:mad:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting to hear that Kiu stopped making the sockets - yet another argument for the manufactured (not re-potted) PR base bulbs like the Pelican ones.

So many have whined to me about the inefficiences of the PR base, but what good is an unobtanium part that's needed for the 'ideal' light?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yes indeed! Kiu did say "very soon." Looking forward to getting some!—If I remember. . .

wquiles

Flashaholic
These KIU adapters are indeed hard to get, but boy o boy do they work well ;). I refuse to use anything else for my hotwires :D

If you look carefully at the new ones (last batch from KIU) vs. the older/first batches, you will find that the newer ones have a larger cavity on the bottom (towards the switch), which allows for electronics, regulators, or any other things that fit to be assembled right indie the KIU adapter :bow:

Will