Mag623 Question - 4x IMR 18650 in a 2D Mag?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting ready to help a friend of mine put together a Mag623. He wants to use IMR batteries, and as of right now the plan is to go with 4x IMR 26500 in a 3D Mag.

However, we were wondering about the possibility of using 4x IMR 18650 in a 2D Mag. This would be a great form-factor for this light, but I haven't heard about one being built like this yet.

Can 18650's fit side by side in a bored D size Mag? Does anyone make a 4x18650 battery holder that puts 2 side by side (like the one mdocod makes) but also 2 end to end in serial?

Is there any other issues we would run into with this build? Just checking on the feasibility of this before going with the 3D version, as a 2D version is much preferred.

Thanks in advance for your input!

ejot

Enlightened
Mag D should be able to be dual-bored for 18650. If you could design an adapter that squeezes the batteries almost completely together, you would still have something around 0.050" wall thickness at the thinnest point, perhaps even a few thou more.

I also don't think anyone makes a 2x-2x-18650-series battery adapter at the moment, though there was some discussion of the idea in mdocod's Odd Mods thread.

Specifically, you may be interested in replies # 62-66, 88, 90-93, and 106.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, we were wondering about the possibility of using 4x IMR 18650 in a 2D Mag. This would be a great form-factor for this light, but I haven't heard about one being built like this yet.
As long as you are using original stock switch and tail cap, 4x18650 will NOT fit in 2D M*g

Can 18650's fit side by side in a bored D size Mag? Does anyone make a 4x18650 battery holder that puts 2 side by side (like the one mdocod makes) but also 2 end to end in serial?
This is possible and similar mode has been done [size=+2]here[/size] in 2.5D M*g.

Is there any other issues we would run into with this build? Just checking on the feasibility of this before going with the 3D version, as a 2D version is much preferred.
It is possible to squeeze this to 2-1/4 M*g.
Body must be precisely and heavily bored out, cut down and rethread finaly make battery holder to fit in this host. This holder is not a drop in and must be made/sold together with mentioned body and since everybody wants different color and type (finned, flutted, grooved, HA finish and...) host, total cost of such flashlight will be to level of affordable for few people.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag D should be able to be dual-bored for 18650. If you could design an adapter that squeezes the batteries almost completely together, you would still have something around 0.050" wall thickness at the thinnest point, perhaps even a few thou more.

I also don't think anyone makes a 2x-2x-18650-series battery adapter at the moment, though there was some discussion of the idea in mdocod's Odd Mods thread.

Specifically, you may be interested in replies # 62-66, 88, 90-93, and 106.
Thanks much for the information ejot. Also, post #95 in this thread seems to prove it is possible in a 2D. Hopefully mdocod will be producing some of these since it seems like there is some demand.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you are using original stock switch and tail cap, 4x18650 will NOT fit in 2D M*g
I plan on using an AW Mag D softstart switch, and doing a tailcap mod.

This is possible and similar mode has been done [SIZE=+2]here[/SIZE] in 2.5D M*g.
That looks nice. I'm hoping to get this to work in a straight 2D if possible.

It is possible to squeeze this to 2-1/4 M*g.
Body must be precisely and heavily bored out, cut down and rethread finaly make battery holder to fit in this host. This holder is not a drop in and must be made/sold together with mentioned body and since everybody wants different color and type (finned, flutted, grooved, HA finish and...) host, total cost of such flashlight will be to level of affordable for few people.
It looks like flex76italy got it to work in a 2D by cutting down the switch. Not sure what he did with the tailcap though. So it looks like this might not work with the AW softstart afterall..https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1437889&postcount=1

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if 2.25D is the shortest you can fit 4 x 18650s , and body will need to be dual bored and you'll need a battery holder , makes 4 x IMR26500 in a 3D without batt holder or boring look much better. You could shorten to about 2.75D if you really wanted shortest possible.

For 2D , you can fit 3 x IMR26500 - just need a shortspring in the tailcap.
Have not got the volts of 4x18650s but more watt hours with 3xIMR26s.

You really only have about 5mm to play with in a 2D. Normal D cells are 60mm long and the tailcap screws in fairly close to the rear cell. You can machine down some of the threads on the tailcap and gain a small amount.
The extra 10mm of the 2 x 18650s plus the thickness of the battery holder end caps is just too much. Trying to make a sturdy battery holder with really thin end caps is another challenge.
You can gain maybe 3mm by removing material from the rear of the stock mag switch.

You could gain another 5-6mm by using a custom switch housing:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2662547#post2662547

If you look at pics in post #8 you'll see my shortest switch housing made for gaining battery space.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would suggest the simplest way to do this would be with one of your Elephant II bodies. But it would be cheaper to use 4 x IMR 26500 in the 3D. The Elephant II body would allow a shorter torch.

BTW
My 4 x IMR 18650 Mag 623 is going well. This uses fivemega's Elephant II body and 3" TM head. But I will soon be changing it to 8 x IMR 18650 with Alan B's Regulated driver and an Osram 64458 and will push it to around 200W REGULATED output!

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....as of right now the plan is to go with 4x IMR 26500 in a 3D Mag.

I think you have it right.....this is the way I would go!Simple,cheap(sort of),and bright.:thumbsup:

Or follow me(4Dx5IMR) and build a '633!!!
buttrock.gif

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input and info! Looks like the 3D will be the format this go round. I still think I'll eventually try to make a 2.25 D for myself some day. I've just seen the 2D Mag623s for so long now I'd love one in that form factor but with IMRs instead of NMHI.

ptirmal

Enlightened
I had a 3D shortened to around 2 1/3 and slotted for 18650s. I just used rare earth magnets and D cell button tops to hold the batteries together. It sure was a good light but one of my 18650s went bad so I haven't been able to use the light for some time :(.