Magcharger owners, questions about beam quality

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've read every post I could find here on the magcharger but couldn't come up with a satisafactory anwser. Ok, I've noticed that the beam quality and beam shape varies greatly between different sizes of C and D cell maglites, krypton lamps give a certain shape, switch to xenon and get a completely different beam shape and so on. Since the magcharger uses a bi pin bulb I am wanting to know if the beam shape using the stock magcharger lamp differs any from it's D cell counterparts. Is it as poor as it's c and D cell brothers? Not talking brightness here, but beam shape. Long story short, I can get one of these magchargers for a very good price, catch is I'm unable to try it before I buy and a refund is unlikely should I be dissatisfied.

Right now I'm playing around with the closest thing I can get to a magcharger, a 6 D cell with xenon lamp, but I'm thinking that if the beam, when tightly focused with the stock magcharger lamp, is no better than my old 6D cell, I think I might pass. These 2 threads are the closest I can find to an anwser

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...g-Charger-Beam

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...-on-magcharger

Can any magcharger owners out there please enlighten me?

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late reply, I've only just stumbled on your question.

The MagCharer beam is fairly circular when in flood mode with a largeish dark spot in the centre.

The spot beam is more comma shaped than circular.

Colour of the beam tends to be be slightly yellow at full charge going more yellow as the battery loses charge.

N10

Newly Enlightened
i think it's pretty similar to regular mags..just brighter...same rings and doughnut hole when in flood mode..you can always frost the bulb or get a LOP or MOP to smoothen the beam but i don't know if these are still available.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Likely not much help to the op as their post was nearly 2 years ago.

But I'll post up for any future searches.

The MagCharger is still very much a MagLite, although mine certainly seemed to focus slightly tighter than my 3D or 6D versions. Beam pattern is very similar though.

Here's a comparison of a stock MagCharger against my 3D MagLite with a 180 lumen rated CREE XPE drop in.

The throw is almost identical for both lights, although the LED 3D produces more usable spill and is whiter in colour.

MagChargerstandardLarge.jpg

MagLite3DCREEXPE180lumenLarge.jpg

Latest posts