Magic Fire 40W HID 4000-Lumen 4x18650 HID Flashlight

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I can tell, the SSK-33 uses better components. One of the major difference is the body diameter, magic fire body is fat. I find most 3x18650 type of HID body too fat to hold comfortably, The magic Fire has 4x18650, thus even fatter.

I think people with smaller hands will soon find out how uncomfortable it may be to hold it for a while.

SSK-33 is very slim for 3x18650 arrangement. They come in stock at 6x28650,
I had to cut it down to 3x18650. Lots of work, but in the end, it's both shorter & slimmer than magic fire.

I find it much more important to have a slim body than extra 5 watts,
that's why I have 3x18650 35W Firefox I, but not the 4x18650 40W Firefox II.
Right-size is always better than too skinny or too fat, but I do see your point. I look at this as an opportunity to implement a custom strap or grab handle.

If CNQual comes up with a 3-cell unit at a similar price point, I'll be on it, too.

The SSK lights look great, but I'd never want a 6000K CCT HID. Too fatiguing and I don't like the color rendition. But if the SSK-20S came in 4500-5000K, that baby would be mine. :D

Wilkey

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
I measured around the handle of my magic, my jetbeam rrt3 XML, my tiny monster, and the sr90. They are all withIn half inch of one another. The magic has excellent balance and does not feel fat at all, and I do not have big hands.

That said, I am within a second of ordering the Abyss. I confessed that to my loving and very understanding wife. She said it is a perfect match to the 2012 BMW X5 I'm getting on Tuesday.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I measured around the handle of my magic, my jetbeam rrt3 XML, my tiny monster, and the sr90. They are all withIn half inch of one another. The magic has excellent balance and does not feel fat at all, and I do not have big hands.

That said, I am within a second of ordering the Abyss. I confessed that to my loving and very understanding wife. She said it is a perfect match to the 2012 BMW X5 I'm getting on Tuesday.

I'm not sure how the Abyss matches a BMW X5, but I am sure that I would not care if it did or not anyway.

:D

The wife sounds like the best match of all.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the major difference is the body diameter,
It's an important ergonomic factor that haven't been mention in this thread.

I find most 3x18650 type of HID body being too fat to hold comfortably, The magic Fire has 4x18650, thus even fatter.

I think people with smaller hands may soon realize how uncomfortable it may get after holding it for a while.

SSK-33 is very slim for 3x18650 arrangement. They come in stock at 6x28650,
I had to cut it down to 3x18650. Lots of work, but in the end, it's both shorter & slimmer than magic fire.

I find it much more important to have a slim body than extra 5 watts, that's why I have 3x18650 35W Firefox I, but was never interested in the 4x18650 40W version of Firefox II.

I would rather have a body that's slightly oversized and I can decide the quality of the 18650s I use, than a proprietary battery pack with unknown quality control and most likely built down to a price than up to a standard. I remember you mentioned that the SSK-33's batteries were questionable enough for you to modify the battery pack on the SSK-33 you purchased. That really spooked me from buying one. I too wouldn't bother about the 5w difference, its all in writing anyway just like most manufacturer's claims.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I feel bad for you guys with small hands, that must make buying gloves and picking things up, etc, really hard. I can hold an SR90 like it was a maglite for the most part...and do. Just don't ask me to get the big meats into a small hole, type, etc.

The diameter of the MF should be fine for me at least.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked this in the dealer's sales thread but didn't get an answer yet. Does anyone know what kind of coating/anodizing the Magic Fire has? Is it paint, type II, type III HA, etc..?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I asked this in the dealer's sales thread but didn't get an answer yet. Does anyone know what kind of coating/anodizing the Magic Fire has? Is it paint, type II, type III HA, etc..?

HAIII according to the description on his website Rich.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAIII according to the description on his website Rich.

Wow..don't know how I missed that - I even looked there before I asked.

Thanks - this is good to know! Especially since mine is shipping today...:party:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Wow..don't know how I missed that - I even looked there before I asked.
Thanks - this is good to know! Especially since mine is shipping today...:party:

I've done the same thing many times myself buddy. Nice to know that it's HAIII since a lot of us will probably be using this light on the go. Hoping mine ships soon if it hasn't shipped already. Shipping status has been a bit ambiguous with the seller.

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
I put my order in on Thursday. After asking Ric ANOTHER question today and made ANOTHER change to my order he said it would be shipped today. I have to say I was sort of a pain (because I didn't know much about the batteries for this light before this) because of changing my order and asking so my questions. I will say Ric has been good to me through the whole deal. So far very good great customer service.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
According to DHL, mine found its way to Cincinatti at around 5:00 Am this morning. Given the that I placed my order on the afternoon of the 22nd, I would say that the shipping is looking great.

It looks like I will probably have it in time for the snowstorm on Thursday, possibly Friday.

For all those griping about not getting the group buy, them's the breaks. I pulled the trigger when I did, knowing it was still something I wanted at the price it was offered. I'm not going to ask to get a retroactive price discount because I bought too early.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That could be good news for me then since I ordered DHL as well. Still no tracking number though. I'm looking forward to having it in hand so that I can get some feed back posted for others.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That could be good news for me then since I ordered DHL as well. Still no tracking number though. I'm looking forward to having it in hand so that I can get some feed back posted for others.

Always like your reviews.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
I got a call from DHL noting that a package was due to be delivered today. I went and checked the website, and I see that it is on its way from Boston.

16With delivery courierBOSTON, MA - USA11:47 AM

15Arrived at Delivery Facility in BOSTON - USABOSTON, MA - USA11:33 AM

14Transferred through BOSTON - USABOSTON, MA - USA8:03 AM

13Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA5:10 AM

12Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA4:30 AM

11Processed at CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA4:30 AM

10Arrived at Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB - USACINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA1:12 AM

Waybill: 400506XXXX With delivery courier Sign up for shipment notifications Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Origin Service Area:
arrow.gif
HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Destination Service Area:
arrow.gif
BOSTON, MA - PORTLAND - USA
Tuesday, February 28, 2012LocationTime

As a note, I have drooled over many a Patriot posting, his access to some killer lights have made me angry at my wallet. I usually lurk, so this is like talking to a celebrity.

Patriot

Flashaholic
You're too kind guys. I only wish that I had the time, tools and knowledge of member Selfbuilt, HKJ and so many others.

I'll at least get a couple of beamshots and a video up though.

kfq269

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Patriot. I've been watching your flashlight reviews on youtube. Great info. Thanks! I'm a corrections officer and I do alot of night work. I work the outer perimeter in a vehicle. Armed of course. Did you purchase the Magic Fire HID yet? Looking for your review. I currently use the sr91 by olight and it is an awesome light. The other night I apprehended and detained 2 males throwing contraband over the perimeter fence. The good thing is the packages they threw got caught in the razor wire. The sr91 came in handy. I would like to upgrade to the sr90 or even better possibly an HID. Any suggestions? Looking for 3000+- lumens tight bright beam and medium spill. With range of course. I Love the polarion but its pricey. Large size is'nt an issue because im in a vehicle. Your guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Waiting on that Magic fire review.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
It arrived. I put the Ultrafire 3000mA batteries on the charger.

First impressions.

Packaging was minimal. Some bubble wrap and tape, but the light appeared no worse for the wear.

When I opened up the package, the light felt solid, well crafted, and really, bluntly elegant. I like the green button, and the tail standing design. In the package was a lanyard as well, which was a pleasant surprise. When I opened up the battery compartment, the orings were well greased. The battery carrier was right there, with the button on it, just under the rubber push button on the tail cap. As I slid the carrier out, I had a little difficulty, as in the area where the batteries would go were 3 silicon O-rings which caught on the springs and the wall of the light, and a replacement button for the switch. Having free replacements was also a nice surprise.

Gently pulling these out allowed me to remove the battery carrier. The carrier is made of very solid copper, PCB board, plates and rods. I felt like this could be safely dropped and still retain functionality. The springs are RUGGED! The contacts are solid and wide. I did see a small scratch on the PCB board up near the button, but other than that, no manufacturing items.

EDIT: Noticed the anodizing was scraped around around the lens bezel, looks like a grinder tic'ed it. You can see it in the photo on the post below at bottom. Minor issue for me, but notable.

I can't wait to fire it up, but I want to make sure the batteries are up to full equal charges.

Without turning it on, I can say I am very impressed, and very happy with the purchase so far, but we'll see at dark!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You're too kind guys. I only wish that I had the time, tools and knowledge of member Selfbuilt, HKJ and so many others.

I'll at least get a couple of beamshots and a video up though.

That's enough.

The charts and graphs and all are their bailiwick. Video and pics with the lights shining around to see what it all looks like in real life is what YOU do.

Think of everyone as supplementing each other.